Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
I had similar issues with my 2.33 ghz 2006 mbp with 5d mk2 raw files. I upgraded my HDD and ram, but was still unbearably slow. I even contemplated buying a new laptop. In the end, the only thing that solved my problem was to migrate over to Lightroom 3. Everything is very quick now, even on my 4 yr old hardware.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I'm wondering if anyone has a problem with Aperture 3 having to be forced quit.

It seems every time I'm working on adjustments, rendering simple adjustments take forever, and untimely end up "not responding"

Yes, I have a 2007 macbook with 4 gigs of ram (knowing only 3 are functional) and a 2.16 core 2 processor.....

thanks

I get that with just iPhoto and Elements, if I am playing with 40mb+ files. It seems like the 2.4 is just being overwhelmed. It has to be force-quit. It was suggested to go to 6 ram, but some here are saying otherwise.

Experiences with 6 ram would be appreciated.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I'm wondering if anyone has a problem with Aperture 3 having to be forced quit.

It seems every time I'm working on adjustments, rendering simple adjustments take forever, and untimely end up "not responding"

Yes, I have a 2007 macbook with 4 gigs of ram (knowing only 3 are functional) and a 2.16 core 2 processor.....

thanks

I have essentially the same laptop configuration as you (Macbook 2007, 2.16GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, OSX 10.6.4), and while adjustments in Aperture are definitely a bit laggy, and previews take about 4-5 seconds to become "sharp" on clicking through from one photo to the next, I've certainly never had it freezing on me. I'm using 21MP files from a Canon 5DMk2.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I had similar issues with my 2.33 ghz 2006 mbp with 5d mk2 raw files. I upgraded my HDD and ram, but was still unbearably slow. I even contemplated buying a new laptop. In the end, the only thing that solved my problem was to migrate over to Lightroom 3. Everything is very quick now, even on my 4 yr old hardware.

Thanks for sharing, I think I may have to go this route if I ever come to a boiling point.

Would you mind sharing how you made the switch? Just relocate the masters from Aperture, and import to L3, and re-edit? I have no clue. :)

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
Thanks for sharing, I think I may have to go this route if I ever come to a boiling point.

Would you mind sharing how you made the switch? Just relocate the masters from Aperture, and import to L3, and re-edit? I have no clue. :)

yeah, just relocated the masters sorted by project folder, then did a huge import in lightroom.

I would recommend trying this on a few projects just to see if it helps and if you like lightroom or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.