Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusalwayswins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2021
Hi Guys.

I have this video which was recorded using a Phone Camera in 1080P 60FPS. It has a lot of background noise and so I want to remove the background noise and also somewhat make the colour of the video more colour ful. What do I need to do? Where do I need to go in Final Cut Pro to achieve these two things ? Where should I begin from ?

I just did a little bit of experiment on my own and I imported the video and added it to the timeline and then I went to Modify in FCP and chose Enhance Audio and when I also add Voce isolation and drag it to 100% the resulting file to export is a whopping 550 MB where as the original file is just 50MB why is FCP making this file with this enhancement such a huge file ? How do I ensure that even with the adjustments that Video File Size does not go so high ? While Export I am choosing Apple Devices 1080P option

The original File Information is this

Dimensions: MEO-S AAC, H.264

Colour profile: HD (1-1-1)

Audio channels: Stereo

Where do I start from ?

Also how can I see before and after in my project and compare the original file with the new modified one ?

Reactions: rm5

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Since you say nothing about the actual content of the video, I'm not sure what anyone can suggest that could actually be useful. There is no ONE solution for every imaginable type of content. If it's speech it's one thing, music is another, etc. etc. Color correction is also 100% relative to content. There is no one-click magic button for any and every type of image.

The size of the exported file also has nothing to do with what you've done to the material. Whether "enhanced" or not. That is decided purely by what settings you use to export it. Meaning: With which codec first and foremost and what the settings are? E.g. if you simply used "Export File", which is ProRes, as opposed to one of the "Apple Devices" destinations, which will be H.264, the difference in size will be tenfold, but not in quality. The codec doesn't care what is coming in, it compresses according to its settings.

I have no clue what type of codec "MEO-S" is, but it sounds like it's proprietary and very specific to some sort of content that can probably be massively compressed. Probably total crap for any and everything else.

If you want granular control over your compression settings then you need an app such as Compressor. But if you're using the "Apple Devices" destinations then the size-to-quality ratio will be as good as you'll want and need it, completely regardless of how big it is.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Seconding @R S K - perhaps describing specifically what you are working with might help.

Regardless, I don't really know about the video cause I'm certainly no video expert. Though I will say, especially with color correction, there is indeed no "magic button" to "fix" certain things. Sure, there are tools to help, but a lot of it is work on your part.

For the audio, you might bring it into Audacity and use the Noise Removal plugin. Obviously noise removal/reduction is going to decrease the overall quality of the audio, but, depending on your situation, it might work. Again, entirely dependent on what you are working with. There are tools like iZotope RX, but they are very expensive, and might not be worth it if the audio just simply wasn't recorded well.

This goes for both audio and video - if it's not recorded/filmed well, you're SOL.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
As an FYI: as of Final Cut Pro's own "Voice Isolation", already existing "Noise Removal" (when used in moderation), and included plethora of Logic Pro audio filters, there is literally no need for external apps or plugins. The Voice Isolation kicks the pants off of anything that iZotope (and others) offers and going to an app such as Audacity is just an inordinate PITA for your overall workflow with no real benefit.

But again, IF and HOW WELL any of the above can even help is entirely dependent on the content and the goal.

Here's a video with examples on the subject, if interested:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.