Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Serious question.

My father has a collection of old DOS games on floppy disks that he'd like to play.

I was wondering if the iPad Pro is capable of both booting into Windows 95 and reading floppy disks.

Is this at all possible?

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006 and Wizec

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Are those floppy disks even readable?

I feel like failure rate on those was super high.

We’re seeing emulators on the App Store now. Maybe we’ll get DOSBox eventually.

Reactions: Dovahkiing

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is no avenue to install DOS somehow on iPad “natively” (not bare metal of course, but not even an app)
iDOS was pulled by the developer after immense pressure from Apple. I still have it installed on my iPad.
Hopefully DOSbox can finally come to iOS and allow people to load programs in it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
There is no avenue to install DOS somehow on iPad “natively” (not bare metal of course, but not even an app)
iDOS was pulled by the developer after immense pressure from Apple. I still have it installed on my iPad.
Hopefully DOSbox can finally come to iOS and allow people to load programs in it.

I still have iDOS too, which restores to my iPad on every new upgrade. I hate to delete it :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I still have iDOS too, which restores to my iPad on every new upgrade. I hate to delete it :)
At least Apple still keeps the app on their server for users who downloaded it for now. Some apps I love a lot has been removed from the App Store, meaning I can no longer restore it as part of the iCloud backup.

utterer

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
RetroArch for iOS/iPad OS (available here) now includes the DOSBox Pure emulator core. I haven't personally tried it on iOS, but have had a lot of success with RetroArch on MacOS loading DOS games directly from this core. It simplifies the process to run and install DOS based games vs the normal DOSBox as long as you have an ISO or a complete install in a folder similar to SCUMM VM (which is also on iOS now too).

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
So can I use RetroArch to run DOS OS, and not games? It's free and I installed it, but it looks like it's just for games. I don't have time to explore it. But since it's free I'm all for it! :) Looks like a great product in general.

Btw, after I posted this I ran across a page saying the original iDos (3) is now in review. This is from the developer:

"Update 2024-05-08: "Your app is in review but is requiring additional time." Makes me wonder if the reviewer is trying to play a game through.""

So they are taking their time

Last edited:

utterer

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
So can I use RetroArch to run DOS OS, and not games?
It is a DOS environment that you point to either an ISO you created of your DOS game CD or a folder containing a complete game install. On the Mac side it lets you either install the game to a folder from that CD and then run it or run the exe in the folder.

I tested a little bit of the iOS version and I was able to run The Adventures of Willy Beamish and Mech Warrior 2, both DOS games by just pointing them to the ISOs I created from the original disks. I ran the install.exe or equivalent and sent it to a virtual c drive and the next time it was there and I ran it no problem. The audio was very choppy though on iPhone 12 Pro but still really interesting to see. In theory, Windows 95 should be able to be installed in DOSBox Pure to run Windows 95 era games since you can on Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.