Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Hi, I bought a pair of new (sealed) AirPods Pro 2 with USB-C. On the box of the AirPods it says 08/2023 (produced).

The warranty of the AirPods has started 01-11-2023 (under bluetooth settings). How can I be sure these are new AirPods? I didn't buy them at Apple, but at a retailer.

Is there a chance they have been opened?

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
The USB-C version of the AirPods Pro 2 didn't come out until late September of 2023, so it doesn't make sense that the warranty on your particular pair would have started eight months before their release.

Reactions: dz5b609

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Thanks. I returned them, because the packaging had signs of water damage.

I read that the warranty starts when the AirPods are bought from an authorized retailer/reseller, and the shop I bought them from are not authorized so the warranty for Apple began at the moment they bought them.

Last edited by a moderator:

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
You have to go to Apple’s website and update the date of purchase from the receipt.
Yes. I had the same issue.
You can also update the purchase date in the Apple Support app.
However, it will take a day or so until the information shows on the AirPods settings screen.

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I had this exact same issue with my new USB C airpods, this only happens with items bought from resellers (in my case Amazon UK). Apple support were really helpful and explained this wouldn't happen if the item was bought from apple direct. Simple process though, support changed the date whilst I was on the call, confirmed it with an email and the new date showed the following day.

Reactions: geekiemac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.