Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zer0ed

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Idaho
You bolded the wrong part. This is the key statement here: "they made it very clear that copying macOS system files was not something that would be supportable in the future."
I knew you would pick that part out but your statement above was incorrect in saying they didn't intend to fix the ASR issue. As I've stated before it's hard to believe the OS will never get corrupted and yes I know Apple claims that.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
...it's hard to believe the OS will never get corrupted...
Why is that hard to believe? It can't be overwritten as it is read-only. I don't want to derail this conversation about macOS, but iPadOS, tvOS, watchOS, and iPhoneOS all have operating systems that are protected by similar mechanisms.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Because all storage devices are susceptible to corruption.
Hardware can fail, which is why you must backup your personal data. But the operating system doesn't require backup because the machine won't boot if even a single bit changes. In that case, you simply boot to recovery and fix it.

Put another way, there is nothing of value on the operating system volume to necessitate backing it up.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I knew you would pick that part out but your statement above was incorrect in saying they didn't intend to fix the ASR issue. As I've stated before it's hard to believe the OS will never get corrupted and yes I know Apple claims that.
You're going back to something that Apple said at the time that 11.3 was released. Now, we have ASR which will properly back up user data, and it, as Apple stated would not be supported, will not copy system files. At the time this was originally an issue, ASR would cause a panic, but now it doesn't. I am sure that Apple has decided that ASR is now working as intended.

zer0ed

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Idaho
You're going back to something that Apple said at the time that 11.3 was released. Now, we have ASR which will properly back up user data, and it, as Apple stated would not be supported, will not copy system files. At the time this was originally an issue, ASR would cause a panic, but now it doesn't. I am sure that Apple has decided that ASR is now working as intended.
I tested a full backup of 13.3 with SuperDuper (3.7.5 (v131 latest) and it caused a panic so I wouldn't say ASR is working as intended. The author of SuperDuper doesn't think so either.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
zeroed claims:
"Folks, let me repeat this again, there is a bug in Apple's ASR that prevents creating bootable external backups on Silicon Macs. Until that is fixed by Apple you won't be able to make one in Monterey or Ventura, using any of the backup programs like CCC or SD, period!"

NOPE.
You are incorrect.

I own a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" with an m2pro CPU. I have kept it running Monterey.

I created a BOOTABLE backup using SuperDuper.

It DOES boot the MBP 14".

I can "maintain the clone" (do incremental backups) with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

It works.

zer0ed

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
Idaho
zeroed claims:
"Folks, let me repeat this again, there is a bug in Apple's ASR that prevents creating bootable external backups on Silicon Macs. Until that is fixed by Apple you won't be able to make one in Monterey or Ventura, using any of the backup programs like CCC or SD, period!"

NOPE.
You are incorrect.

I own a 2021 MacBook Pro 14" with an m2pro CPU. I have kept it running Monterey.

I can "maintain the clone" (do incremental backups) with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

It works.
Well that is interesting since if fails on my M1 Mac mini and the author of SuperDuper (Dave) was one of people to tell me about Apple's ASR bug. BTW, I'm running on Ventura here. I should have clarified the ASR issue is prevalent in Ventura!

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I've been used to being able to create boot disks, images, w/different OS'es, and swapping them around for decades. So when this development started to become clear with recent versions of macOS, it looked like they were breaking everything.

I've since adapted, and I think it's going to be fine. I recently swapped my M1 Mini for a M2 Mini, and as I knew I'd be going from Big Sur to Ventura, I decided to drop the legacy bootable ccc backup I had been using, and have the non-bootable backup that Mike Bombich recommends.

The way I see it; I lose only one thing; the ability to boot from the backup and restore a snapshot of my internal disk - which would take a few seconds, because CCC would only be replacing the modified files on the data volume - and reboot.

The way I'll have to do it now, is to boot from recovery, restore the snapshot, which erases the data volume and writes the whole volume from the snapshot. A few minutes.

I think we're sacrificing a bit of flexibility get more security, stability, and technology for the future. Good luck to Microsoft trying to keep up.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
zeroed claims:

NOPE.
You are incorrect.

It works.
Have you booted your mac from the external copy or does CCC/SD just say it created a bootable clone.... because I have now tried to make bootable clones with both CCC and SuperDuper and in macOS's Recovery system using Disk Utility of my old iMac that runs OS Monterey and NON are actually bootable.

My iMac will not boot from any of them and will fail half way and I found on CCC's own site that as of Big Sur this is an issue (https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/help-my-clone-wont-boot#discoverability_troubleshooting).

I've been pretty annoyed with lots of people giving solutions as absolutely working and then finding that they do not. You're giving this as an example of a 2021 MacBook Pro, so does it work on a mini M2 pro? Do you know this for a fact?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Have you booted your mac from the external copy or does CCC/SD just say it created a bootable clone...."

Yes. Re-read my original post.
The cloned backup boots and works just fine.

Again, I'm speaking of OS 12 "Monterey".
I CANNOT speak for how things behave with Ventura.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.