Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
The old "archive and install" is gone since Snow Leopard. ML now does essentially what and archive and install was but does not save the old version.

So what you are saying is to backup all of the data, then do the re-install, and then re-load all the apps, docs, etc.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So what you are saying is to backup all of the data, then do the re-install, and then re-load all the apps, docs, etc.

Of course you want to backup before the upgrade just to be safe, but no... the reinstall will not erase your data. Only the OS areas are "replaced".

johughes72

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
Cheshire, UK
I can't find an answer to my install??

Hi
I have tried to follow your guide, and have posted a new thread this evening. I have had my Macbook Pro reinstalled to factory new, but I can't download Lion or ML. Lion is stuck 'calculating' at 425MB and won't go further. Pausing and restart gets a calculation of 55 days and then goes back to calculating.
PLEASE HELP - I can't get any work done or open back up files.
:mad:

Gus2

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
Where was this when I upgraded!

Six months ago, I swapped out my optical drive and put in an SSD with Mountain Lion and all my apps on it, with a HDD to store my data. This would have been wonderful as a guide through that process. Thanks for putting in the time to help others.

Over the past 3 weeks my system has become more and more unstable (lots of spinning beach balls, software locking up and having to resort to Force Quits, whereas before I almost never needed to) so I'm thinking about doing a clean install. In your travels have you seen anything that walks through how to reinstall the OS and apps, so I wouldn't have to go through everything, reseting all the system and app prefs and settings? I'm assuming files in the OS have become corrupted and this is my best course of action. I remember when I upgraded, I had a fair amount of work getting the system back to where it was, mapping the finder and apps to default to the HDD, restoring fonts, etc...it'd be great to avoid doing that all over again!

Cheers,

Last edited:

bully worm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
I'm trying to boot from my USB but then it takes me to the X (forbidden) logo and my USB's light stops flashing. I have a 8gb Kingston USB, on a mid-09 MBP running 10.7.4.

Anyone shed any light?

Jon-PDX

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Pacific NW - USA
Six months ago, I swapped out my optical drive and put in an SSD with Mountain Lion and all my apps on it, with a HDD to store my data. This would have been wonderful as a guide through that process. Thanks for putting in the time to help others.

Over the past 3 weeks my system has become more and more unstable (lots of spinning beach balls, software locking up and having to resort to Force Quits, whereas before I almost never needed to) so I'm thinking about doing a clean install. In your travels have you seen anything that walks through how to reinstall the OS and apps, so I wouldn't have to go through everything, reseting all the system and app prefs and settings? I'm assuming files in the OS have become corrupted and this is my best course of action. I remember when I upgraded, I had a fair amount of work getting the system back to where it was, mapping the finder and apps to default to the HDD, restoring fonts, etc...it'd be great to avoid doing that all over again!

Cheers,

Gus,

I may be to late with this reply but just in case you have not already started from scratch with a clean install, have you tried reseting permissions on your drives?

I had some of the same issues you describe when I moved my "user" directory (folder) off my SSD boot drive to my old HD. At first I thought the issues was not having it on the boot drive and moved it back. Things got worse and I was about ready to start with a clean install, reinstall all my programs, etc.... and just for fun I went into disk utility, checked/fixed errors and reset all my permissions and everything worked good as new.

Jon...

Gus2

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
Gus,

I may be to late with this reply but...have you tried reseting permissions on your drives?

And I'm a bit late replying to your reply, but just saw this. Yes. It was the first thing I tried. Managed to do some other tweaks after scanning other threads and I'm back to it working more stably. Not perfect, but much better. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Of course you want to backup before the upgrade just to be safe, but no... the reinstall will not erase your data. Only the OS areas are "replaced".

I'm looking into upgrading to ML cause I assume I'd have to for me to get 10.9. So would I not need to erase my internal HDD before installing ML?? My entire HDD is backed up and cloned onto an external drive with CCC. I was going to erase my internal drive to make it a completely clean and fresh install.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm looking into upgrading to ML cause I assume I'd have to for me to get 10.9. So would I not need to erase my internal HDD before installing ML?? My entire HDD is backed up and cloned onto an external drive with CCC. I was going to erase my internal drive to make it a completely clean and fresh install.

Unless you just want to go through the exercise of a "clean install", there is no need to erase your drive. Just install ML over top of the existing OS, assuming you have Snow Leopard or better.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Unless you just want to go through the exercise of a "clean install", there is no need to erase your drive. Just install ML over top of the existing OS, assuming you have Snow Leopard or better.

I just want to get rid of any junk files hiding around my system. Sure it'd take awhile but I'd have a clean system in the end. I would put ML on a clean HDD and bring over what I wanted from the backup.

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
I had a question regarding using migration assistant. I have a Macbook air 2012(that runs Mountain Lion) that im getting ready to sell (SSD issues) and i am planning to put my black macbook 2007 2,1 back in commish!

I plan to install MFLP on my black macbook 2,1 and I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with MIGRATION ASSISTANT? Just curious, seeing as to how this whole process is "unsupported". It wont be a killer if i lose my stuff, everythings backed up in the cloud or dropbox, but itd be nice to have the same users, wifi passwords, tabs etc again on my older macbook.

thank you for the post. and please lmk, thank you again.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
No source or destination in "Restore"

Hi.
Firstly... multo multo thanks for the guide.
Exceptionally helpful.

Tried to follow each step carefully with a 4Gb flash (am now waiting til I get an 8Gb flash drive) but when I got to step 8 "InstallESD.dmg" wasn't listed, and couldn't be dragged into, the "source" column. Neither could the flash drive be dragged into the "destination".

Any ideas why?

LuckyDuck69

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Hi.
Firstly... multo multo thanks for the guide.
Exceptionally helpful.

Tried to follow each step carefully with a 4Gb flash (am now waiting til I get an 8Gb flash drive) but when I got to step 8 "InstallESD.dmg" wasn't listed, and couldn't be dragged into, the "source" column. Neither could the flash drive be dragged into the "destination".

Any ideas why?

Report back when you get an 8GB flash drive? I think that might be your issue.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Just went through the whole process, but forgot to uncheck "Settings" when I used Setup Assistant to move everything over to the brand new computer.

What kind of things will happen with I don't uncheck Settings? Should I start over and uncheck Settings? What would be best?

Also, I've read that sometimes when people migrate their files (with either Migration or Setup) from a Time Machine backup they might not have everything from their last backup? Like iPhoto library missing and such. Anybody know anything more about this?

Thanks so much for this guide Incredibly helpful!

fussyoldfart

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Welland Ontario CANADA
Clean Install & Migrate to Mavericks

Is it safe to use the instruction sheet provided in they post to do a clean install of Mavericks?

I would appreciate knowing that there are no new hooks or foibles to look out for. :eek:

Darrell (fussyoldfart) McDonald

uksupreme101

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2014
Lion to ML (unsupported mac)

Hi Guys,

So ive followed an older guide where i have downloaded ML and successfully installed onto unsupported mac. However the last step im kinda stuck as i need to go into to terminal and copy a plist file to the installation target. Because i cannot do this i get the grey circle when booting.

Could anyone explain how i would go about doing this and is there a way to check where the file actually is to ensure that i get the paths correct? Again i can only really hold down options and get into terminal from utilities.

Any help is much appreciated been stuck on this for hours

Regards
Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.