Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zexthero

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2023
To reset the Sidebar width to the default value:
Code:
defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist SidebarWidth
Close all Finder windows before running the command. A new window should open with the default Sidebar width. If it doesn’t, try to restart Finder.
I've tried "Prefs Editor" and even manually to reset the safari position to the default one, didn't succeeded at all, do you have any knowledge in reseting the Safari position?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
To reset Safari's main window position, give Terminal Full Disk Access and run:
Code:
defaults delete ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist "NSWindow Frame BrowserWindowFrame"

Other Safari windows that can be reset:
"NSWindow Frame GoToSheet"
"NSWindow Frame NSNavPanelAutosaveName"
"NSWindow Frame NSSpellCheckerSubstitutionsPanel2"
"NSWindow Frame NewBookmarksSheet"
"NSWindow Frame OtherUserAgentSheet"
"NSWindow Frame Preferences"
"NSWindow Frame PrivacyReportWindow"
"NSWindow Frame WBCookiesAndOtherWebsiteData"

Reactions: CaptainAndrew

Jdizzle188

macrumors regular
May 22, 2020
May I be a pain and reasurect this thread and ask if I could get the default window sizing terminal commands for;

Music, photos and mail please?

It's nice to know our should I say reassuring to know there are people like myself who want things just as with their operating system! 🙂

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Photos
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.photos "NSWindow Frame MainWindow"

For Music use Prefs Editor, open com.apple.Music search for window and delete windowHPos, windowHeight, windowVPos and windowWidth.

The are several values for Mail, I’ll look more into it.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Is there a way to reset System Information's window size and position?

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Ok, while we're at it, I'd like to hijack this thread (as it is sort of fitting the topic):
One of my user accounts has an unwanted Finder behaviour:

In 'List' view, the first column (filename) should have a fixed width.
But for this one user account, it only has the default width for a split second, then it moves to the left to match the longest filename's length.
It behaves like double-clicking the right edge of the top divider to match the width to the longest filename or folder.
I want a fixed width.
Which entry is responsible for overriding the default column width?

Moving the divider while pressing the 'Option' key or setting the default view has no effect on new windows.

Thanks

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Finder should have a dedicated thread. It managed to exasperate me a few days ago while I was trying to sort out the sidebar. :)

Regarding the name column, I see 3 values:

Code:
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print FK_DefaultListViewSettingsV2:columns:0:width" ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print FK_StandardViewSettings:ExtendedListViewSettingsV2:columns:0:width" ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print FK_StandardViewSettings:ListViewSettings:columns:name:width" ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist'

but modifying/deleting them doesn’t produce any visible result.

Reactions: arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.