Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Be ready to lose at least 15-20%, that is if you are lucky. Your best bet is to find some one on Craigslist or facebook market place. eBay takes a 10-13% cut on iPad sales. and if you take a 15-20% loss on original price and sell it on eBay, its gonna be 25-30% off. The full price.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’ve sold lots of Apple stuff. Never had an issue.
I've sold some Apple stuff - and I've not been scammed either.

But...

I've had to deal with scammy bidders, and have had to reject multiple bids due to scams. That, on top of the fees you pay, makes it a losing proposition for Apple stuff - IMO. YMMV.

cjsuk

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2024
I've sold some Apple stuff - and I've not been scammed either.

But...

I've had to deal with scammy bidders, and have had to reject multiple bids due to scams. That, on top of the fees you pay, makes it a losing proposition for Apple stuff - IMO. YMMV.

Ah the tricks to avoid this:

1. NEVER sell at auction. Only buy it nows
2. Make sure you always add postage on top of the buy it now price and that it's correctly quoted.
3. Make sure that "immediate payment required" is turned on.

That stops scammers dead and if someone wants to open a return then you don't have to pay them the postage fee you already spent back.

I pay 9% fees (70% discount on 30% base) if you list on offer days which are running every 2 weeks and have done for about 3 years now. If I want £500 for something I list it for £550!

Reactions: arkitect

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022

2. Make sure you always add postage on top of the buy it now price and that it's correctly quoted.

That stops scammers dead and if someone wants to open a return then you don't have to pay them the postage fee you already spent back.

I pay 9% fees (70% discount on 30% base) if you list on offer days which are running every 2 weeks and have done for about 3 years now. If I want £500 for something I list it for £550!
Auction had always fetched me more money. No need to avoid it, I usually put in a condition of ratings more than 10, if some one with less is interested, they can message. I don’t even bother eBay any more, last time I sold my 2019 MBP, I posted on Next door, the person who bought lived 5 mins away from me. Cash in hand and no drama.

PaperMag

Suspended
May 13, 2023
Of course, there is the question of why you never opened it since you bought it in October 2023. Pity you hadn’t purchased it much more recently, like a couple of weeks ago, when you might have been able to return it and get back what you paid in refund.
Apple store told me returns are only within 14 days of purchase.
Does BJJ teach you to evade million dollar questions? 🙃

Seriously, did this fall off a truck? You can tell us. We're the internet. 😉

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I’m glad you found a system you like. Most of my eBay isn’t Apple stuff, I only sell an Apple device when I no longer need it. And out of hundreds of auctions, the ONLY times I’ve had to deal with scam bids, etc is when it’s an Apple product. That coupled with the fact that eBay will ALWAYS come down on the side of the buyer in a dispute, tells me to avoid eBay when selling Apple stuff - and I’d suggest that strategy for any casual seller like the OP (one-off sale). If you’re in the business/selling multiple lots, sure… work out a system like you have, Vaya con Dios. But for just one device, the risk:reward ratio isn’t good enough for me.

Reactions: cjsuk

macboy101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
Update:

Someone on gumtree wants to meet to buy it.

I want to confirm if the following plan is the safest way to get paid:
1. Meet at police station
2. Exchange bank details and have them send me the money before I release the product.

Am I missing anything? In step 2 I didn't choose cash because I suspect a buyer can handover counterfeit cash.

Is it better to meet at a shopping centre/mall instead of a police station. I'm not even sure that UK police will allow me to conduct business on their premises.

Also, does apple care plus include the name and details of the original buyer? If so, is it dangerous for the new buyer to have my name and any other information that may be included in apple care plus? The apple care plus I purchased has not been opened or used.

The buyer's gumtree account is under 1 month old and has no reviews or ratings. How can I find out if the buyer is a scammer? Are there any questions I should ask him? After messaging him today he wants to meet tomorrow to collect but it's too soon for me so I'll delay it.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Update:

Someone on gumtree wants to meet to buy it.

I want to confirm if the following plan is the safest way to get paid:
1. Meet at police station
2. Exchange bank details and have them send me the money before I release the product.

Am I missing anything? In step 2 I didn't choose cash because I suspect a buyer can handover counterfeit cash.

Is it better to meet at a shopping centre/mall instead of a police station. I'm not even sure that UK police will allow me to conduct business on their premises.

Also, does apple care plus include the name and details of the original buyer? If so, is it dangerous for the new buyer to have my name and any other information that may be included in apple care plus? The apple care plus I purchased has not been opened or used.

The buyer's gumtree account is under 1 month old and has no reviews or ratings. How can I find out if the buyer is a scammer? Are there any questions I should ask him? After messaging him today he wants to meet tomorrow to collect but it's too soon for me so I'll delay it.
It is hard to get fake money. The guy can close his bank account 1 hour after the deal. Afterwards you have no proof you handed him an iPad.

macboy101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
It is hard to get fake money. The guy can close his bank account 1 hour after the deal. Afterwards you have no proof you handed him an iPad.
but if he closes his bank account 1 hr after the deal then it doesn't change anything since he sent the money already?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.