Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
As did I, but I used Ubuntu Server 16.04 and a 500MHz Graphite DV iMac with 512MB of RAM. It had shimmering on the CRT, and I originally bought it for parts, so I don't care too much on the CRT gaining hours (no video is displayed but the CRT remains on). It runs a site, World of G3, which will be all about the colourful G3 era of Apple. Currently there's only a home page which I made out of a template, but there'll be more soon: http://imacg3.mooo.com:81/

Okay these are really cool projects. Could I possibly highlight them in a future video? And by future I mean like in July or August

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
Oh? I have Spotify Web Player running on mine. Are people having issues with it? If more people have issues I could create a thread on how to get the player started.

Lack of flash for PPC= No Spotify web player.
[doublepost=1465214364][/doublepost]
Why can't Linux just look like Linux?

Because this was originally a Mac. It would be a disservice, an insult, if we didn't try to at least keep the look of OS X on there. Besides, if Linux looked like Linux, you'd have a terminal shell.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Lack of flash for PPC= No Spotify web player.
[doublepost=1465214364][/doublepost]

Because this was originally a Mac. It would be a disservice, an insult, if we didn't try to at least keep the look of OS X on there. Besides, if Linux looked like Linux, you'd have a terminal shell.
There is a copy of Spotify for PowerPC on OS X, someone hacked it to run on a G3 CPU too.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
There is a copy of Spotify for PowerPC on OS X, someone hacked it to run on a G3 CPU too.

Yes but it won't run in Linux. That's why I'm trying to find anyone who has Spotify web player in HTML format. I know it can be done. Any web page on the Internet can be viewed in HTML.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
And I ended up with not finding a empty CDR or DVD-R(W) to install Debian from , thus I started compiling X11 on FreeBSD from source, for almost 2 days long :)

So far I've tried TVM,FVM and OpenBox on FreeBSD,
Xfce4 won't compile ( a dependency that has a compile error ) , and I didn't dare yet to try compiling mate from source.

However on the NVIDIA Powerbook 12" , nv is actually working fine on FreeBSD 10.3 , backlight keys work and Mplayer plays 480P at 30-40% CPU with no hiccups on OpenBox. Only issue still facing currently is that my sound is at 100% but it is still not the full volume of PCM ( no alsamixer and mixer is at 100% ).

So this weekend maybe compile MATE on FreeBSD on the 12" Nvidia Powerbook and get empty media or use the CF card to install Debian + MATE + Mac theming on the 15" Radeon Powerbook G4.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2015
And I ended up with not finding a empty CDR or DVD-R(W) to install Debian from , thus I started compiling X11 on FreeBSD from source, for almost 2 days long :)

So far I've tried TVM,FVM and OpenBox on FreeBSD,
Xfce4 won't compile ( a dependency that has a compile error ) , and I didn't dare yet to try compiling mate from source.

However on the NVIDIA Powerbook 12" , nv is actually working fine on FreeBSD 10.3 , backlight keys work and Mplayer plays 480P at 30-40% CPU with no hiccups on OpenBox. Only issue still facing currently is that my sound is at 100% but it is still not the full volume of PCM ( no alsamixer and mixer is at 100% ).

So this weekend maybe compile MATE on FreeBSD on the 12" Nvidia Powerbook and get empty media or use the CF card to install Debian + MATE + Mac theming on the 15" Radeon Powerbook G4.

You're determined! Lol. I actually have a copy of Debian 8 laying around somewhere. I may try using it just to see what I can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.