Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why are you wasting precious bandwidth on this! lol

In all seriousness, If I was going to a Super Bowl party, I'd want to know in advance that my host was going to be streaming the game....so I could make other plans.

I have a 1gbps connection where no throttle is enforced :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
All the amazing food and beer that I supply greatly makes up for a dramatic 1-2 minute delay if that. I streamed all year and it worked amazing through the Shield and apps on ATV as needed.

I used CBS previously for the SEC championship game and it was fantastic. Sure there will be more watchers due to the SB.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
All the amazing food and beer that I supply greatly makes up for a dramatic 1-2 minute delay if that. I streamed all year and it worked amazing through the Shield and apps on ATV as needed.

I used CBS previously for the SEC championship game and it was fantastic. Sure there will be more watchers due to the SB.
CBS also has years of experience streaming March Madness.

hcole623

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
Whew I have had dismal experiences streaming regular season SEC games via CBS with more than capable internet speeds.

That plus the face that this is the maiden voyage for their aTV app on the most watched tv event of the year, hope they did their homework!

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Whew I have had dismal experiences streaming regular season SEC games via CBS with more than capable internet speeds.

That plus the face that this is the maiden voyage for their aTV app on the most watched tv event of the year, hope they did their homework!
That's not good. I haven't had problems the last ten years streaming March Madness but this will have more peak users.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
That's not good. I haven't had problems the last ten years streaming March Madness but this will have more peak users.

I streamed SEC games all year and it was flawless. I think this will be just as fine and not too worried about it. I love having no cable bill and getting options through ATV and my Nvidia Shield. :)

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I should get better picture quality than watching it through Comcast, right? I prefer using my Apple TV and remote to the Comcast box anyway.

That's the same question I came here to ask... Comcast broadcasts in 1080i, whereas the AppleTV is a full 1080p. So, does that mean watching it on the AppleTV would be slightly better than Comcast? I wish it was offered in 4K!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In all seriousness, If I was going to a Super Bowl party, I'd want to know in advance that my host was going to be streaming the game....so I could make other plans.
Yes!!! This +100.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_t..._problems_delays_commercials_ruin_online.html
2015: NBC’s Super Bowl Live Stream Was Hugely Popular. It Was Also Terrible.

That's the same question I came here to ask... Comcast broadcasts in 1080i, whereas the AppleTV is a full 1080p. So, does that mean watching it on the AppleTV would be slightly better than Comcast? I wish it was offered in 4K!
It's not only about the resolution, it's also about compression. Comcast and most cable companies add more compression than what is broadcast over the air. OTA also has some compression, but much less. So the OTA signal will almost always look better than cabletv signal.

I don't know whether the stream receives the same source as what is broadcast OTA, in terms of resolution. If it does, then I expect the stream will be 1080i unconverted to 1080p at some point along the line, and thus it won't make a difference. However, maybe the streaming source gets the original signal before it is turned into 1080i for broadcast, in which case it might be better resolution. It's worth nothing though that streaming also has tons of compression, so I'm actually sure the picture will actually look better.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
The CBSN app has a tile for the live news feed. I don't see a live feed tile on CBS Sports app. I trust I'll see it on Sunday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.