Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
‘Smearing’ text while scrolling sounds like completely normal and expected behavior to me. If you want to read something stop scrolling. I don’t get it. Also on my iPhone right now the text ‘smears’ when scrolling just like it has on every other device that scrolls.

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
I get it. You're not happy with this monitor. Others are happy with it. The great news? You have a choice. Buy something you do like. Easy Peasy.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I'm a programmer, and I spend 8-12 hours a day looking at my VS Code editor, in dark mode, scrolling through text constantly. I have never once wished that I could somehow read the text scrolling by more clearly. I know what I'm looking for and can slow down my scroll to find an exact position without any issue whatsoever. Even if I'm scrolling at full speed I can still make out function/class names and find what I need.

Agrailag

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
‘Smearing’ text while scrolling sounds like completely normal and expected behavior to me. If you want to read something stop scrolling. I don’t get it. Also on my iPhone right now the text ‘smears’ when scrolling just like it has on every other device that scrolls.
I agree with you, but there shouldn't be comet like trails on 4+k$ laptop. Its really noticebale, when i switch between browser and Clion, that are on different tables.

Also, for all who have this problem - call to support, as they said me yesterday, they didnt have much issues from customers about this, thats why no responce from Apple for this issue.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Well if you look at the replies to these threads you will see that those of you who think it’s a big problem are definitely in the minority, I’m not surprised that this is so low on the list for Apple.

Agrailag

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
Well if you look at the replies to these threads you will see that those of you who think it’s a big problem are definitely in the minority, I’m not surprised that this is so low on the list for Apple.
I didnt say its big problem, but very annoying and not acceptable for this price. I like a lot in this machine, but display very dissapointed me.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017

Well if you check the link below, you are gonna see how the problem is huge, annoying and disappointing... And surprise how Apple did not make an explanation about it ?

this is the main thread which most the tech websites refer

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I didnt say its big problem, but very annoying and not acceptable for this price. I like a lot in this machine, but display very dissapointed me.
Its not a problem like the popping is. This isn't faulty hardware, this is apple choosing a panel with a slow response time. The hardware is performing as intended. If its a deal breaker for you don't buy it. A cpu or gpu having a defect is a "huge problem" having a slow but colour accurate screen is not a huge problem. I'm not going to contact support to complain about the panel being slow. If I cared I would have done my research and got something with an OLED panel.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Maybe you should spend less time snapping photos of little cartoon UFOs zipping by on your screen and more time working or whatever it is you bought the computer for.
If you are snapping photos with a camera, then you will have an exposure that is not just one frame of the screen, so smearing _on your photo_ is inevitable.

Agrailag

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2020
Its not a problem like the popping is. This isn't faulty hardware, this is apple choosing a panel with a slow response time. The hardware is performing as intended. If its a deal breaker for you don't buy it. A cpu or gpu having a defect is a "huge problem" having a slow but colour accurate screen is not a huge problem. I'm not going to contact support to complain about the panel being slow. If I cared I would have done my research and got something with an OLED panel.
Yeah, better keep calm and sit with low responce time display)

Anyway, reread i wrote - for me its bad (but not critical) for this price. I have checked with my old mbp 15" 2015 - it has better responce time. So in 2019 end we got laptop with worse display, than 4 years before.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Hundreds of thousands? o_O
No wonder Apple is so valuable.

Anyone who is mad about smearing should have returned their machine, honestly. These threads need to end because honestly, if video editors don't care, I'm not worried about it either. Still loving my MBP

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How would you explain ghosting smearing display on 16 mbp if you were an Apple manager?

"They all do that..." ;)

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
I don't think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. Those coming from pre-2016 models just seem to notice that screen response times are worse now, which is odd of you come to think of it as technology normally evolves to smaller, quicker, etc. Unless those observing smearing have a 'bad' panel, but that's already been described in another thread and I don't think there is a lot of difference in panels anyway as this seems to be an issue going on since 2016 when Apple introduced the Touch Bar. These MacBooks had new screens with wider colour gamut, better colour accuracy and more brightness. It seems that the cost to be paid for this was a slower screen response time. The fact that a lot of professional reviews on the MBP 16" don't mention the smearing can only be explained by the fact that these reviewers didn't make a big jump from an older model (pre-touch bar) to the newest model but became used to the smearing on the 2016 models and later. Couldn't this explain why some people notice this as an issue, while others don't?

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, better keep calm and sit with low responce time display)

Anyway, reread i wrote - for me its bad (but not critical) for this price. I have checked with my old mbp 15" 2015 - it has better responce time. So in 2019 end we got laptop with worse display, than 4 years before.
With all the other issues related to the t2 this isn’t even on my radar. The screen isn’t worse than the original Retina display since it’s more colour accurate, bigger, brighter and has a higher ppi. It has a slower response time that’s it - the op keeps obsessing over it and making annoying post and threads.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It has a slower response time that’s it - the op keeps obsessing over it and making annoying post and threads.

But if it really bothers the OP (and perhaps others), is it ok with you if they post about it and talk about it?

This is a forum after all.
Why not just steer clear of threads you don’t care for?

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
But if it really bothers the OP (and perhaps others), is it ok with you if they post about it and talk about it?

No it’s just pointless discussion at this point. This isn’t even remotely an issue when compared to bad magic kernel panics and popping speakers. That’s what peoples should be reporting. There’s been a big thread about this already we don’t need another, so no it’s not okay. He should have returned it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
No it’s just pointless discussion at this point. This isn’t even remotely an issue when compared to bad magic kernel panics and popping speakers. That’s what peoples should be reporting. There’s been a big thread about this already we don’t need another, so no it’s not okay. He should have returned it.

So you are acknowledging that it’s an issue, but don’t think it’s as big of an issue relative to the other ones you mentioned?

Do I have that right?

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
I agree with him

now I’m not going to say people shouldn’t be able to start a thousand threads about it if they want to. I don’t care and I’m not a fan of forum policing. But I should be able to reply marginalizing this issue with increasing scrutiny every time a new thread starts. Not a real problem.

btw yesterday I dragged a window with icons around in little circles on my desktop. Yes I did see little trails. No my opinion has not changed. Good thing literally nothing I’ve ever had to do with my computer has involved dragging a window around in little circles as fast as I can to test for trails. I still think this is a total non-issue. Scenes from an action movie is the only test I need to do and it looked fine to me.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Probably doesn't warrant another thread.

It's a silly question, anyway. None of us know what a manager at Apple would say.

Reactions: ascender

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
But I should be able to reply marginalizing this issue with increasing scrutiny every time a new thread starts. Not a real problem.

I hear you and don’t really have a strong opinion other than to say...

Why not just let people who do find it to be bothersome discuss it in peace?

A forum discussion need not be litigated endlessly if you happen to disagree.

People have such widely divergent things that may bother their eyes, ears and other senses that it’s reasonable to be sympathetic to that. I’ve learned this really to be the case as I’ve continued to age and noticed my own body and senses breaking down and changing and being newly sensitive and responsive to things that might not be issues for others.

I guess I would just encourage empathy and understanding where possible.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
So you are acknowledging that it’s an issue, but don’t think it’s as big of an issue relative to the other ones you mentioned?

Do I have that right?
I think it’s basically a non issue. It’s not like the display is bad. We don’t know what compromises they made to get the display the way it is. Just return it if you don’t like it. Things which impact functionality are issues.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
I see the ghosting/smearing on my 16", but its no different than all the previous 15" MBPs I have owned. I don't see it as an "issue" necessarily, but more of a characteristic inherent in Apple's MacBook displays. In all honesty, I have never been a fan of Apple's MBP displays, but I still loved all my past MBPs, and I love my 16". That being said, even though I paid an arm and leg for my 16", I would still take the hit and swap it out next year if Apple brings in new display technology with deeper blacks and a better refresh rate. I wouldn't give up my current 16" so soon for any other reason.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I think it’s basically a non issue. It’s not like the display is bad. We don’t know what compromises they made to get the display the way it is. Just return it if you don’t like it. Things which impact functionality are issues.

Fair..

I will say though, even though I don’t own a 16”, I use it every chance I get when I see them at Costco & BestBuy and the screen has given me pause...

Something they did made it so, for me, it crossed a threshold of “noticing” and it bothers me when using it.

I want to be clear that I noticed this on my own when first using one before I’d ever seen a thread about it here.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I don't think people are complaining for the sake of complaining. Those coming from pre-2016 models just seem to notice that screen response times are worse now, which is odd of you come to think of it as technology normally evolves to smaller, quicker, etc. Unless those observing smearing have a 'bad' panel, but that's already been described in another thread and I don't think there is a lot of difference in panels anyway as this seems to be an issue going on since 2016 when Apple introduced the Touch Bar. These MacBooks had new screens with wider colour gamut, better colour accuracy and more brightness. It seems that the cost to be paid for this was a slower screen response time. The fact that a lot of professional reviews on the MBP 16" don't mention the smearing can only be explained by the fact that these reviewers didn't make a big jump from an older model (pre-touch bar) to the newest model but became used to the smearing on the 2016 models and later. Couldn't this explain why some people notice this as an issue, while others don't?
why didnt they mention it when they reviewed the first 2016 15" pros then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.