Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
Hello everyone, since it's been a few days iPadOS 16.1 has been launched. So, how's the performance and battery life on your iPad's?
Please mention your iPad model.

Thank you!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hello everyone, since it's been a few days iPadOS 16.1 has been launched. So, how's the performance and battery life on your iPad's?
Please mention your iPad model.

Thank you!

2018 11” iPad Pro.

Seems more or less the same. Spotlight search seeks to take a little longer to work (same on my iPhone), but overall, can’t really say I have felt any difference.

Reactions: applegoldfish

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
2018 11” iPad Pro.

Seems more or less the same. Spotlight search seeks to take a little longer to work (same on my iPhone), but overall, can’t really say I have felt any difference.
Thanks for the contribution.

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
2018 11” iPad Pro.

I have the same iPad chip. Do you feel any slowness in performance for daily tasks?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have the same iPad chip. Do you feel any slowness in performance for daily tasks?
I can't really say I have. My apps still work, and appear to load and run as quickly as before. I speak as someone who uses his iPad for teaching in the classroom for hours on end, and in the very least, any possible performance degradation hasn't been seen or felt by me. So far, I have enabled display zoom to give me more viewing space (which has been pretty welcome). I have tried Stage Manager, but just can't seem to get the hang of it, so maybe I will wait till the weekend to play with it some more.

It just looks and feels a lot like when my iPad was on iOS 15.

Reactions: applegoldfish

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I can't really say I have. My apps still work, and appear to load and run as quickly as before. I speak as someone who uses his iPad for teaching in the classroom for hours on end, and in the very least, any possible performance degradation hasn't been seen or felt by me. So far, I have enabled display zoom to give me more viewing space (which has been pretty welcome). I have tried Stage Manager, but just can't seem to get the hang of it, so maybe I will wait till the weekend to play with it some more.

How many hours of screen-on time are you getting on your 3rd Gen 11-inch iPad Pro?

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022

Thank you so much for the detailed review. I really appreciate it. I think I should too update my iPad to 16.1, currently on 15.7

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
iPad Pro (2018) 12.9"
That one was released with iOS 12. I have a 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12. Apple’s A9 activation bug on iOS 9 forced in out of iOS 9 into iOS 12 back in 2019. Battery life subsequently decreased from about 13-14 hours to barely scraping 9-10, sometimes even worse, like 8 hours.

Your iPad is, like mine, three iOS versions in. How many hours of screen-on time are you getting? How many hours did you get back on iOS 12? (If you used it there).

• Sad
Reactions: sunking101

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
That's really awful to know.
yes, that's why i was planning to upgrade to a pro 2022 as soon as its available in my country. Battery wasn't great before ios 15 and of course that horrible white spot above the touch button (these ipads were affected by it).

applegoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
yes, that's why i was planning to upgrade to a pro 2022 as soon as its available in my country. Battery wasn't great before ios 15 and of course that horrible white spot above the touch button (these ipads were affected by it).
Awesome! It would be such an upgrade for you.

Reactions: smorrissey

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
How’s battery life? How many hours of screen-on time? With what general usage?
I don't think my battery life opinion will be useful, being my device 5 years old but i can tell you the clean ios 16 installation was more battery intensive this time. I went from 100% to 92% for the first time after downloading and installing 20 apps and setting up the ipad. Also i can feel the lag when seeing all the windows opened and scrolling through them.

My ipad's battery is right now at 100% and i will be using it more intensively after the clean install last Monday, i will be reporting...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I don't think my battery life opinion will be useful, being my device 5 years old but i can tell you the clean ios 16 installation was more battery intensive this time. I went from 100% to 92% for the first time after downloading and installing 20 apps and setting up the ipad. Also i can feel the lag when seeing all the windows opened and scrolling through them.

My ipad's battery is right now at 100% and i will be using it more intensively after the clean install last Monday, i will be reporting...
It will be useful, because I have a 6-year-old 9.7-inch iPad Pro! Please, if and when you can, do let me know how many hours of screen-on time you’re getting and the general usage pattern, so I can get an idea. Thank you!

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I do have an old 2015 iPad Pro...battery on this hasn't been great for a while (Even though Coconut Battery STILL shows "99% health," beats me). Even while watching videos as it's connected to the charger, battery % will go down.

After 16.1 install on Tues. morning, battery is pretty meh at best! Also performance on this has been affected, very slow and suffering a lot of lag now.

I may wipe the whole darn thing out and start over.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Geez this morning i've been browsing using Safari and it drained like 6% only 4 pages....

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I do have an old 2015 iPad Pro...battery on this hasn't been great for a while (Even though Coconut Battery STILL shows "99% health," beats me). Even while watching videos as it's connected to the charger, battery % will go down.

After 16.1 install on Tues. morning, battery is pretty meh at best! Also performance on this has been affected, very slow and suffering a lot of lag now.

I may wipe the whole darn thing out and start over.
I have an iPad Pro from the same generation (but I have the 9.7-inch model). Can you share a screenshot of the “last 24 hours” battery screen on settings-battery please? Note that I’m not asking for Screen Time, but settings-Battery instead. Thank you!

Occasionally people have said it is worse but I’ve been unable to find a single screenshot of a first-gen iPad Pro. Descriptions of it being worse with no details don’t tell me much, I’d like to get an accurate idea.

It’s the same with iPhones, “I used to finish the day with 50% but now I finish with 25%” doesn’t tell me much, as I can’t get an accurate enough picture. Thank you!

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is on iOS 12. It used to be on iOS 9 until Apple forced it out three years ago. It dropped from about 12.5-14 hours to about 8-11 hours depending on usage. Average it out and it’s 13.5 hours on average on iOS 9 and 9.5-10 hours on iOS 12. Or about a 30% drop.

wa2be

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life on my 4th generation Air. Other than the super ugly clock font on the lock screen, it's pretty much the same as using it on iOS 15.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I have an iPad Pro from the same generation (but I have the 9.7-inch model). Can you share a screenshot of the “last 24 hours” battery screen on settings-battery please? Note that I’m not asking for Screen Time, but settings-Battery instead. Thank you!

Occasionally people have said it is worse but I’ve been unable to find a single screenshot of a first-gen iPad Pro. Descriptions of it being worse with no details don’t tell me much, I’d like to get an accurate idea.

It’s the same with iPhones, “I used to finish the day with 50% but now I finish with 25%” doesn’t tell me much, as I can’t get an accurate enough picture. Thank you!

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is on iOS 12. It used to be on iOS 9 until Apple forced it out three years ago. It dropped from about 12.5-14 hours to about 8-11 hours depending on usage. Average it out and it’s 13.5 hours on average on iOS 9 and 9.5-10 hours on iOS 12. Or about a 30% drop.
I will, but I would have to disconnect it from the charger and let it sit for 24 hours and see what happens. This sits on my desk 99% of the time connected.

Reactions: FeliApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.