Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life on my 4th generation Air. Other than the super ugly clock font on the lock screen, it's pretty much the same as using it on iOS 15.
It might be too new for it to be affected at this point, though two major versions in... I’d be expecting some sort of drop. How many hours of screen-on time are you getting?
I saw a 30-40% drop immediately after Apple forced my 9.7-inch iPad Pro from iOS 9 to iOS 12, I can’t imagine how poor it might be on iPadOS 16. I saw one screenshot and it was at around 5 hours, hopefully that’s not the norm because I get more than that on my iPhone 6s on iOS 10 at high brightness...

kylebro99

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2020
Running 15.7.1 on 7th gen, can barely do 5-6 hours while exclusively using Notes app for writing, tho battery health is 98%. If 16 really has drop in battery life, it'll be unusable.

Reactions: Aston441

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Running 15.7.1 on 7th gen, can barely do 5-6 hours while exclusively using Notes app for writing, tho battery health is 98%. If 16 really has drop in battery life, it'll be unusable.
Hesitant to update an iPad6 here. Was forced to go from OS 13 to 15 already for some stupid app I was forced to update 😠. I'm considering making things even worse by downgrading to iPadOS 16, if there is genuine memory swap to disk and tabs stop reloading, and just accept the performance and battery life hit.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Hesitant to update an iPad6 here. Was forced to go from OS 13 to 15 already for some stupid app I was forced to update 😠. I'm considering making things even worse by downgrading to iPadOS 16, if there is genuine memory swap to disk and tabs stop reloading, and just accept the performance and battery life hit.
Memory Swap requires an iPad with an M1 or better and 128GB or better. The iPad 6 doesn’t fulfill these requirements, so it doesn’t have Memory Swap.

Was battery life too affected by iPadOS 15?

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Memory Swap requires an iPad with an M1 or better and 128GB or better. The iPad 6 doesn’t fulfill these requirements, so it doesn’t have Memory Swap.

Was battery life too affected by iPadOS 15?
I went from about 8 hrs usage per charge on 13, to about 5.5hrs with 15.7

Apple does it on purpose, we all know it, lots of states even sued them about it, Apple settled, and continues to do it.

Thanks for the info about needing M1. Of course apple could have turned on the flag and compiled that feature across the board, but why would they, it's just another way to squeeze.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I went from about 8 hrs usage per charge on 13, to about 5.5hrs with 15.7

Apple does it on purpose, we all know it, lots of states even sued them about it, Apple settled, and continues to do it.

Thanks for the info about needing M1. Of course apple could have turned on the flag and compiled that feature across the board, but why would they, it's just another way to squeeze.
I don’t think Apple could’ve enabled that for the iPad 6th gen. My 64GB Air 5 doesn’t have it either due to storage (not that I mind, I’m staying on iPadOS 15).

Wow, yeah, that’s a considerable impact. I’m not surprised though. Apple forced my 9.7-inch iPad Pro from iOS 9 to iOS 12 and it went from 13-14 hours to battery scraping 9-10 (with very light use). There are some cycles it can’t even reach 10 even with the a pretty light use. It should easily surpass that…

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I don’t think Apple could’ve enabled that for the iPad 6th gen. My 64GB Air 5 doesn’t have it either due to storage (not that I mind, I’m staying on iPadOS 15).

Of course they can. You can just set the max size of the swap file in normal operating systems. This has been standard for almost 70 years.

ETA: Wikipedia states swap files started in 1962, however I read an early programming book written in the late 50's describing regular swap file usage and management.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How many hours of screen-on time are you getting on your 3rd Gen 11-inch iPad Pro?
Can anyone tell a slight loss here & there with the dreadful battery stats Apple gives us? There is so much info there yet the one thing we wish to know, namely screen on time since last full charge, is absent.:rolleyes:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Can anyone tell a slight loss here & there with the dreadful battery stats Apple gives us? There is so much info there yet the one thing we wish to know, namely screen on time since last full charge, is absent.:rolleyes:
You can! You just have to add the bars since you unplugged (and track it, obviously). Many don’t, and they just report the number (which might be higher than reality, because they include the previous cycle alongside the current one), which is exactly why I ask for screenshots. I’ve seen it, way, way, way too many times.

In fact, one person (not here) was quite awful, insulting me and saying I had no clue what I was talking about. The exchange was funny, and I mention it because I politely asked for a screenshot and they rudely said “here. Here is your screenshot. You see? You have no clue, battery life is great”. Obviously, they had included… five hours! of the previous cycle into the current one, and their reported number more than doubled the real one. I don’t recall the exact number, but I was talking about the iPhone Xʀ’s battery life, and I said “I get around 8 hours on 50% on iOS 12, it is a lot better than iOS 15, according to the numbers I’ve seen (actual screenshots)”, and they said “I get around the same, you have no idea“. Of course, five of the eight hours were… from the previous cycle, so they’d gotten 3 hours on 50%, not 8. I don’t recall it if was exactly on 50% and exactly 5 hours, but it was close, and the overall number was around there.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunking101

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can! You just have to add the bars since you unplugged (and track it, obviously). Many don’t, and they just report the number (which might be higher than reality, because they include the previous cycle alongside the current one), which is exactly why I ask for screenshots. I’ve seen it, way, way, way too many times.

In fact, one person (not here) was quite awful, insulting me and saying I had no clue what I was taliking about. The exchange was funny, and I mention it because I politely asked for a screenshot and they rudely said “here. Here is your screenshot. You see? You have no clue, battery life is great”. Obviously, they had included… five hours! of the previous cycle into the current one, and their reported number more than doubled the real one. I don’t recall the exact number, but I was talking about the iPhone Xʀ’s battery life, and I said “I get around 8 hours on 50% on iOS 12, it is a lot better than iOS 15, according to the numbers I’ve seen (actual screenshots)”, and they said “I get around the same, you have no idea“. Of course, five of the eight hours were… from the previous cycle, so they’d gotten 3 hours on 50%, not 8. I don’t recall it if was exactly on 50% and exactly 5 hours, but it was close, and the overall number was around there.
I find that I can work it out some days but often it's too complicated/tedious and my eyesight isn't that great. Why they can't just tell us like on Android! :mad:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

In fact, one person (not here) was quite awful, insulting me and saying I had no clue what I was talking about. The exchange was funny, and I mention it because I politely asked for a screenshot and they rudely said “here. Here is your screenshot. You see? You have no clue, battery life is great”. Obviously, they had included… five hours! of the previous cycle into the current one, and their reported number more than doubled the real one. I don’t recall the exact number, but I was talking about the iPhone Xʀ’s battery life, and I said “I get around 8 hours on 50% on iOS 12, it is a lot better than iOS 15, according to the numbers I’ve seen (actual screenshots)”, and they said “I get around the same, you have no idea“. Of course, five of the eight hours were… from the previous cycle, so they’d gotten 3 hours on 50%, not 8. I don’t recall it if was exactly on 50% and exactly 5 hours, but it was close, and the overall number was around there.
For instance, how do I work out my SOT since the last full charge with this info?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
For instance, how do I work out my SOT since the last full charge with this info?

Two options:

-You track the hour-by-hour bars since the beginning, and write them down before the 24-hour period expires, so as not to lose first-day stats (extremely annoying, I know. Thank Apple for not implementing “screen-on time since last full charged”). There is currently no way to obtain precise stats since last full changed if used throughout a couple of days and if you don’t track it carefully, unless the second condition applies:

-If you know you haven’t used the device on that day before unplugging (i.e., between 00:00 and 07:22), you add both bars (Monday and Tuesday’s bars) together.

-If you have used it on that 00:00-07:22 period, but you don’t know the exact amount of time or you can’t give a roughly accurate estimate... you can’t. Wait for the next cycle and track it from the beginning. Like I said, it’s not the best solution, and it’s only fixed by one additional line: “screen-on time since last full charge”.

How do I track it? Like I said, I add the bars hour-by-hour before the 24-hour elapses, then continue adding them before the information expires. Like I said, extremely annoying, and a not-great solution for multiple-day cycle people. Unfortunately, it is the only way since Apple changed it.

Reactions: sunking101

uhmorphous

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
I’m late to the discussion, but updated later as well. I have a 2017 iPad Pro 9.7in with the A9x chip. Since the update, I’ve noticed sharp drops and decreased ability to hold a charge, even with minimal use with no apps running in background, and when not in use with wifi/bt off.

My very rough estimate is that the drop-off seems to happen when it’s reached around 80% and then drops quickly into the 40-50% range. The screenshot highlights battery drop-off after being used connected for the majority of the day. This happens again after midnight with light use until turning off for the night.

Attachments

• BFB53FED-7BE2-449E-BD4A-DE74253ABF53.jpeg
    BFB53FED-7BE2-449E-BD4A-DE74253ABF53.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 84

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’m late to the discussion, but updated later as well. I have a 2017 iPad Pro 9.7in with the A9x chip. Since the update, I’ve noticed sharp drops and decreased ability to hold a charge, even with minimal use with no apps running in background, and when not in use with wifi/bt off.

My very rough estimate is that the drop-off seems to happen when it’s reached around 80% and then drops quickly into the 40-50% range. The screenshot highlights battery drop-off after being used connected for the majority of the day. This happens again after midnight with light use until turning off for the night.
Wow, that’s the first screenshot I’ve seen of the 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 (I have it on iOS 12), and I can’t glean much from that screenshot, but what little is there, is absolutely horrid. Can you please charge it to 100%, use it normally for a few hours and then upload a screenshot again? I’d like to see exactly what its screen-on time is with the least amount of standby drain possible.

Reactions: uhmorphous
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.