Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
At the time I replaced the 16" intel with an M1 air and it was a night and day difference...
but why you do that? Since 16" clearly had the better gpu compared to an M1 air...i mean you bought the wrong laptop back then?! since the air is more portable, less screen estate and far less gpu power
The only explanation, regarding working, is that you need the most from cpu side...

Reactions: Elusi

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
but why you do that? Since 16" clearly had the better gpu compared to an M1 air...i mean you bought the wrong laptop back then?! since the air is more portable, less screen estate and far less gpu power
The only explanation, regarding working, is that you need the most from cpu side...
I don't do GPU tasks mate on my Mac, I leave those for my Gaming Laptop and Desktop. For everything gaming and editing I do on those, if was far away I used Remote Desktop. (Now I own the M2 Pro 14")

My reason to replace my 16" was because of issues whenever connecting to external displays, battery life and heating. I also switched jobs at the time, so portability was more important as well.

I also disliked the internal display as it had some sort of ghosting and higher response time compared to current Macs.

Too many issues with the computer at the time

I just connected M1 to the Ultrawide and an iPad via Sidecar and it worked pretty great.

Reactions: DaveXX

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
Here i have to disagree and its exactly my point.
The MBP 16 Intel had a better GPU on paper. Could run a benchmark and say "wow cool score" but the point was in reality it was useless for me.
Connect a 4K Monitor and play a 4K60 HDR clip from YT and the machine broke down. Its a joke. The M1 Air of my wife can do that. She is using it every day on a 4k60 monitor with 20 browser tabs. I couldn't do that. I'm sure you can even do video editing better on that device.

The MBP16 was just on paper a good device and for some reason it was hyped on YT but for what?
Its the point of benchmark vs reality.
If a MBP can't be used on a external Monitor its less "Pro" than any M1 Air device for me. TBH every 400€ windows machine had more power. I wouldn't even take it again if it would be free.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Luckily I never had the intel 16". But my 15" Intel i9 also was loud and hot all the time, and the battery life was a joke.

Intel is catching flak right now about desktop CPUs burning up, more the motherboard manufacturers fault but also Intel for encouraging basically no limits on voltage and wattage generated. I'd be so pissed if I had one of those newer ones and was running the mobo BIOS with optimized defaults and the CPU toasted like a roman candle.

There's reasons to blame both Intel and Motherboard manufacturers for that set of issues. Intel is responsible for a) making their 13th and 14th gen parts run so warm to begin with, and b) not enforcing power-related specifications for its CPUs. Likewise, the motherboard manufacturers shoulder blame for making their DEFAULT settings ignore Intel's recommended specs. Some of these motherboards are allowing what's effectively unlimited power to the CPU, going well above the Intel-recommended maximums.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
There's reasons to blame both Intel and Motherboard manufacturers for that set of issues.
But apple decided design over functionality for a "Pro" product. The thermal design was not appropriate for the intel cpu. Other problem is that the AMD radeon was always active with external monitor. It was not possible to use a monitor with the intel iGPU.
You can't blame intel for apples design decision. It's true that intel had a problem to make progress with their cpu's but this was a known problem.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But apple decided design over functionality for a "Pro" product. The thermal design was not appropriate for the intel cpu. Other problem is that the AMD radeon was always active with external monitor. It was not possible to use a monitor with the intel iGPU.
You can't blame intel for apples design decision. It's true that intel had a problem to make progress with their cpu's but this was a known problem.
Intel lied, year after year, in their public roadmaps. I agree they should have scuttled the design after Intel kept missing deadlines though 🤷‍♂️

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Weird - I was referring to the current set of issues with Intel 13/14th gen CPUs - which you had mentioned. But this entire reply was related to the last of the Intel-based Macs and therefore not even related to what I said.

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
I'm currently using an Intel i9 16" MacBook Pro, and I've been consistently connecting it to a 4K 27" monitor. My approach is to switch to low-power mode when I don't need to undertake heavy tasks like 4K video editing and outputting. In most cases, it remains quiet, and the device doesn't overheat. When I do need to edit or output in 4K, I disable low power mode and endure a period of high-speed fan noise for cooling.

1715304077114.png

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I've literally just replace my i9 2019 16" with a 16" M3 Max.

I bought the i9 from the refurb store with 64GB and 2TB in May 2020 just before the M chips were announced. I wasn't fussed and waited for M to mature. The i9 cost me £3400 from Apple Refurb.

Now I have the M3 16" MBP 16/40/64GB/2TB from Apple Refurb and love it. Silent, excellent battery, crazy fast. BUT, I do miss the touchbar TBH. Had I bought this RRP I'd probably return and wait for M4, but as it's such a massive improvement on the i9 AND was a £800 saving from the Refurb Store, I'm chuffed.

Reactions: Miles Fu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.