Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
That’s right streaming fans … I’m watching my various Apple shows and movies.

I made it a practice to download all the shows and movies that I buy through Apple.

With the ATV box I connect to ‘Computers’ and it reads my network connected Mac M1 Mini. An external drive connected to the Mini has all my downloads.

Watching The Martian at the moment :D

-

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have about 2tb of media (about 1200 ripped DVD's, plus downloaded iTunes movies) on a Mini that is used as a dedicated media server. For the most part, really happy with this and my two Apple TV's, have been using this setup almost 10 years now.

But Apple has been having some issues with their services tonight. Went to watch a film I had downloaded awhile ago with the computers app and it just hung forever. Gave up and started streaming it with the AppleTV app instead. After awhile, it suddenly quit with a message about content not being available.

Then I apparently got stuck in a loop with the ATV asking if I wanted to connect the Sling app to the Apple TV app. I say no, it acknowledges it, then asks again. And again. Restarted the AppleTV and it was ok for awhile but now doing the same thing.

In the past, when my internet connection was down it wouldn't even let me watch my own ripped DVD's with the computers app. This was a known issue we discussed in the home theatre forum. Not sure if that is still the case however because I've had virtually no internet outages since Verizon ran fiber to my rural home in 2017.

status.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.