Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
..... A lot of posters....banking on iOS 13....owned my 10.5” for a year and a half now....don’t really come close to using it to its full potential.

I agree with this. Software is still the iPad Pro’s weakest point IMO.

....a slightly weird bending of the lack of OIS into a positive? I agree, it’s not a massive feature, but not sure it makes ‘total sense’ when I would guess a very important use of an iPad camera is document scanning, which OIS helps with. Not a deal breaker, but was an odd decision, and one I presume was motivated by the want to thin the top bezel?

I don’t think it can be considered a positive, but I am curious to know if there has been evidence of any actual loss of performance due to its exclusion.

...The software isn’t sophisticated enough.

Yes this is a problem for me as a software engineer. The MacBook remains indispensable.

It’s really not an original thought, but they need some new software to help them flourish. Is the answer macOS in ‘docked mode’, and iOS in tablet mode? I’m not sure. But it would interest me more than the current offering.

Underneath all the new A12X and Liquid Retina and neural engines and 2x faster graphics... it’s still an iPad. (To somewhat paraphrase Bertrand Serlet...)

Yes very much this. I would think spending hundreds more on useful software advancements (iOS and the app ecosystem) would be more worthwhile at this point rather than ever higher performance. Admittedly my viewpoint is slanted towards STEM work - I believe non-STEM professions get decent work done on the iPad Pro, but it remains an annoying gap in functionality for me.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I agree with this. Software is still the iPad Pro’s weakest point IMO.

I don’t think it can be considered a positive, but I am curious to know if there has been evidence of any actual loss of performance due to its exclusion.

Yes this is a problem for me as a software engineer. The MacBook remains indispensable.

Yes very much this. I would think spending hundreds more on useful software advancements (iOS and the app ecosystem) would be more worthwhile at this point rather than ever higher performance. Admittedly my viewpoint is slanted towards STEM work - I believe non-STEM professions get decent work done on the iPad Pro, but it remains an annoying gap in functionality for me.
It’s annoying - I’m an iOS developer, and the idea of a pro tablet which I could design interfaces directly on and compile code on the fly without needing a siumiulator is very, very appealing. Editing photos is fantastic to do on a touch interface. Editing and building 3D models is fantastic as you can directly manipulate the work. An iPad could be a wonderful primary device.

I have no doubt the iPad hardware is more than capable of this. I think the price increase on the latest Pros, however, have really hammered home the fact it needs quality software to match. This is no toy - an iPad with the same storage as my 13” MacBook Pro, keyboard folio and Pencil is about the same price as my 13” MBP. It’s no longer unreasonable to expect to be able to do almost as much as on a Mac without being crippled by the OS.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Everybody has an opinion, and that’s totally cool. Opinions vary. But I don’t get all this hate for the new Apple Pencil. I feel the exact opposite. To me, it’s better in every single way. I would argue that the new pencil - even if it’s battery is smaller - actually is more charged than the old one for the simple reason it’s ALWAYS attached and charging to your iPad! You’re also less likely to lose it, not to mention there is no annoying cap to lose...nor do you have to awkwardly stick your pencil out of the side of the iPad where it can snap off.

And I totally don’t understand your statement that you’re baffled how the new Apple Pencil doesn’t actually have any feature improvements. Huh? Aside from the new convenient charging method I already mentioned...um...what about the awesome TAP feature?!!

That “awesome” tap feature is BS. It could easily be added to the older pencil. But I get why apple doesn’t offer it. Also; don’t forget while it’s attached it’s going to drain your battery on your iPad. And it needs that constant charging because the battery won’t last on it.

I was mainly talking about writing differences. There is nothing better about this one in the most important area, how it performs when writing or drawing. Don’t get me wrong, they both perform great, but I was looking for improvements in both how it actually performs as well as some the add on features like charging and the tap feature. The old pencil writes the exact same as the new one. To me that’s not really an upgrade because the main purpose of an upgrade would be to make it perform better when using it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You paid for the really high premium for the 1TB storage but you can't justify the price for the nice Smart Keyboard Folio and the Pencil... first, the Pencil is not a must have, you can skip it if you don't draw. The keyboard though, I think is the key for the iPad Pro, and to me it's one of the best feature. It feels so nice to type on, it's quiet and water proof. In fact, it's so much nicer than the butterfly keyboard on the MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.