Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Yes, craftsmanship is important in photography, but a sharp image with lack of a creative eye is really no better off than blurry image with lack of a great eye..

I used my tripod last night in Times Square with my F100 / 14-24, I think I have about 6 of the darn things not to mention custom made mounting rigs, ladder mounts, gyros. I thought about using a clamp on one of the risers but the vibrations from the crews would have been too much.

There is more than one way to skin an image and a tripod is essential for freeing up hands for other tasks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Fotosharp rain covers ;) You're missing the chance to capture the PNW in its normal glory ;)

Heck yeah. My daughter and I dashed out between showers a few nights ago and shot Christmas lights (using a tripod, natch) around Sumner - a small little town about 15 miles east of Tacoma WA.

My D700 can handle the rain, but not the 24-85 lens I was using. :D

Note for people outside the PNW: It rains (or at least drizzles) here a LOT, but almost never rains hard compared to what some of you experience. Our heaviest rain months are November and December, which on average get between 7-8 inches spread over the whole month. A typical "hard winter rain" will put down maybe 1-1.5 inches over an entire day. Where I live the annual total averages about 44 inches - Seattle is rain-shadowed by the Olympics somewhat, and gets 37 inches a year. But it's cloudy and gray well over 200 days annually. Summers are beautiful though, green and lush because of our weather. :) Mid-July through the end of August are typically dry and sunny, with high temps averaging just shy of 80F. Great for hiking or most anything outside... for that month and a half. ;)

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I tried one of those rain covers once and ended up just going back to plastic bags and towels, they are just too one trick pony / bulky for me. Last night it rained steadily from 7PM onward in Times Square. I kept ducking in and out of MacDonalds to grab napkins to towel off my rigs. The F100 is a little more sealed then the Leica M bodies I used, but shots you get in that kind of weather just rock, especially in a place stuffed with Neon lights.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I tried one of those rain covers once and ended up just going back to plastic bags and towels, they are just too one trick pony / bulky for me.
Funny, I don't find the fotosharp covers bulky at all- and it's way easier than the other three brands I've tried which are all strap and velcro. There's always one in my bag with the 400/2.8, and it sits between the bottom of the bag and the lens- I don't even notice it unless I look down in the bag when I take the camera/lens out. The camo ones aren't quite as crumpleable as the clearish ones, but it's a close thing- and if you're shooting with small lenses, I can't imagine how bulky would ever come into the equation with the smaller ones.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I can't imagine how bulky would ever come into the equation with the smaller ones.

In short for me, it's like trying to play a guitar with gloves on. I just pass on them and get to the point of shooting, cameras are tactile tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.