Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Ooft, that's terrible. I would hate being in the Daily Mail. ;)

But seriously, this is one of the reasons I'm not much of a fan of where I live.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
The story that started this thread took place in the UK.

i know. but the UK story is more being overprotective and scared for children. i can see parents freaking out and even understand it a bit.

in the US it seems to be more an unspecific paranoia that everyone is a terrorist. even when the entire circumstances make it pointless.

MiniLifeCrisis

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

We live is such a F.U. society!!!
Whatever you do, don't post them on Flicker. Heck, let's search Flicker for "children" or "kids" and see what we can find. And need I mention I was going through MacRumors after reading this Thread and found photos of children! OMG, everyone is a pedophile but me! :eek: I personally hate taking photos of people, I only do still-life and animals myself.

When I'm King, I promise to get rid of all the pedophiles... and all the stupid people who think everyone with a camera is a pedophile!!! :D

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Take pics of the jackass parents and post them on the internet, lambasting them for being such jackasses.
:D

This is a disturbing trend in society. Free speech and constitutions are already being trampled by so called "hate speech" legislation. It's entirely possible that sometime in the near future taking any pictures, outside of your home, will be illegal.

Too bad the once "free and democratic societies" are turning away from personal freedom and embracing fascist, Orwellian policies.

:(

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Yes pedophiles are a problem, but in the story you just told the problem was the woman's attitude and paranoia. Which in this instance was 'real' the pedophile or the paranoia?

If you guys would read the story you'd also note that "other families waiting in the queue demanded that he stop." So it wasn't just the one woman.

Hence my earlier post about jumping to conclusions. This story is driven by one person's account of the events - he could be relating an accurate account, or he could be manipulating it to cast himself in a more sympathetic role than he deserves.

Go watch "Rashomon" sometime. :D

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I wouldn't read too much into the 'journalism' that's going on the link. After all the D*ily M*il is one of the worst pieces of crap that pretends to be a newspaper.

He was interviewed on local radio this morning, initially the slide operator complained and then another mother started to complain afterwards. Despite showing this mother the picture of his boys, she complained that he could upload them to the internet and he might be a pervert. The man spoke a couple of policemen at the event and they confirmed he did nothing wrong.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
We live is such a F.U. society!!!
Whatever you do, don't post them on Flicker. Heck, let's search Flicker for "children" or "kids" and see what we can find. And need I mention I was going through MacRumors after reading this Thread and found photos of children! OMG, everyone is a pedophile but me! :eek: I personally hate taking photos of people, I only do still-life and animals myself.

When I'm King, I promise to get rid of all the pedophiles... and all the stupid people who think everyone with a camera is a pedophile!!! :D
The fact that you just went to flickr and searched for the keyword "children" has been recorded in George Bush's database.

Your file now has "possible paedophile" stamped on it. ;)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
If you guys would read the story you'd also note that "other families waiting in the queue demanded that he stop." So it wasn't just the one woman...
True, but common sense isn't a democracy, we shouldn't lower the standards just because a lot of people are stupid.

Also, you quoted me like I was missing the point of the original story in my post, but I wasn't talking about that story, I was talking specifically about the one I was quoting in my post.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
In the US, it's my understanding that it is not legal to take photos of minors under age 18 without written parental consent, even if the child does consent... :rolleyes:

Your understanding is wrong, and so are those paranoid freaks that try to push such foolishness. The "consent" is implied by being in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy. If they are not posing as models, and they are not entering into a contract to have their likeness used to advertise a product, there is no legal obligation to get "parental consent". I have mentioned that the next fool to try telling me that I don't have "consent" to use my camera is going to get a rather unpleasant argument. Nobody has been foolish enough to test this lately.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I found this interesting link on photographer's rights in the US. I wish I could remember who advised me otherwise... or it may be a state law in Florida, I dunno. One of my mentors, a model photographer, does not shoot minors without a guardian present. He's had too much trouble.:rolleyes:

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I found this interesting link on photographer's rights in the US. I wish I could remember who advised me otherwise... or it may be a state law in Florida, I dunno. One of my mentors, a model photographer, does not shoot minors without a guardian present. He's had too much trouble.:rolleyes:

The problem with shooting models isn't that the person is a "minor", but rather that the person must enter into a contract. The photographer will be selling the person's image to third-parties as stated in the contract, and it is necessary to get the permission of the "minor" and the parent as legally required for the contract.

If you want to see the paranoid freaks get hissy-fits, tell them that I had a female child in my lap while I was using my camera. The freaks want to criminalise such things, to tell me that I'm a criminal for touching a child or for allowing a child to touch me. They rely on fear to make people scurry away and accept their paranoia. What they do not like is when somebody tells them differently and refuses to give in. Then those freaks call the police and scream until they get what they want.

The problem is that you need to know the law and be able to shut up the accuser while you file a police report. That Krages list is worthless if you don't have some legal standing, because the police can be swayed into believing the paranoia. The freaks can accuse you of anything, and before you can say anything, you could be labelled as a child molester or worse.

I intend to continue giving the freaks their hissy-fits with my social behaviour.

"I done touched on everything but little boys."

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I would have been tempted to say a few things.

However, those would have been counter productive...

Rather I probably would have just said to the park employees to call security because this lady was harassing me and I want to file charges.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
It should also be noted that once he was confronted he promptly replaced his NIKKOR AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR w/ an 15-55 lens.

The parents must have known the photographer was in rubber manufacturing.:D

two gems in this thread, hahaha. :D

ore an unspecific paranoia that everyone is a terrorist. even when the entire circumstances make it pointless.

Yeah, we just passed 1 million names on the terrorist watch list. :|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.