Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
This is really a great camera. Its a D300, D80 and Sony HD Camcorder all in one. Video looks terrific on this. Works perfectly in Quicktime on my mac pro. Still shooting images. VERY PLEASED with this purchase.

I have a D300, D80 and Sony HD Camcorder and can now sell them all. Live View is really easy to use, much easier than the D300 implementation.

GET ONE!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Sorry, but not a D300:

- No AF fine tuning
- No AI metering
- No weather sealing
- No metal body

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Video is 2mb a second. I shot for 24 seconds and it was a 47.8mb file. Not too bad for 720p and don't have to worry about decoding it before I can watch it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Sorry, but not a D300:

- No AF fine tuning
- No AI metering
- No weather sealing
- No metal body

He was talking about Live View which was improved in the D90.

Why I am anticipating a D700s and D3s and maybe a D300s with the slight update in Live View and other features.

Enforcer wasn't saying the D90 is better than the D300. It is however, a better bargain if you don't need those things you listed, as is always the case.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Congratulations - it does sound like a nice camera. It doesn't have all the D300's features; but not everyone uses mirror lock-up mode etc.

I do :D
Hence why I won't be giving up my D300 for a 90 anytime soon.

But congrats OP! I'm more likely going to look at a cheap D80 when the used ones start rolling in after D90 purchases to use as a backup body ;)

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
congrats man!
i plan to get a nikon d40 than those new and more expensive ones. 6mp is enough for me and its very dependable my friends tell me. not to mention i love the layout and feel of the camera

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I like how Nikon continues to be aggressive feature-wise - they're not afraid to have lower-tier cameras that incorporate some upgrades compared to similar features in higher-priced cameras. That was why I went with them originally, back in 2004 when I bought the D70.

Lately Canon seems to be doing this a bit more; but they've still got a reputation for being ultra careful regarding not wanting their lower-end cameras to cannibalize sales of their higher-end offerings. We'll see if that continues with the 5D replacement though - their teaser ads make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
congrats man!
i plan to get a nikon d40 than those new and more expensive ones. 6mp is enough for me and its very dependable my friends tell me. not to mention i love the layout and feel of the camera

Thanks! My wife uses the D40 and she loves it. It takes really great pictures as well. Its a nice compact DSLR.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Lately Canon seems to be doing this a bit more; but they've still got a reputation for being ultra careful regarding not wanting their lower-end cameras to cannibalize sales of their higher-end offerings. We'll see if that continues with the 5D replacement though - their teaser ads make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread.

I agree totally. I was hoping to see Canon replace the 1.6x sensor with the one from the 1D. Putting that in the 50D and the new rebels would have been a big move on their part IMHO. And I do hope the 5D replacement is simply a 1Ds Lite ala the D2xs/D200, instead of a full frame Rebel with amazing IQ.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
This is really a great camera. Its a D300, D80 and Sony HD Camcorder all in one. Video looks terrific on this. Works perfectly in Quicktime on my mac pro. Still shooting images. VERY PLEASED with this purchase.

I have a D300, D80 and Sony HD Camcorder and can now sell them all. Live View is really easy to use, much easier than the D300 implementation.

GET ONE!

Cool. Can you tell me if has the CA correction magic like the D300, D3 and D700 have? If it does that'd be excellent.

The main things I didn't like about the D80 when I had one (apart from its difficult to control metering bias) was the cheapo sticky-out strap lugs (picky I know) and the easy to knock exposure mode dial (a big problem for me). Unfortunately those things remain on the D90 but aside from getting a D300 (which needs a firmware update to tidy up its handling) there's no way around them.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
You obviously like the video feature, why not just get that sony camcorder???

oh, and have you taken any pictures with it?

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Not a d300. As a D300 owner I would expect you to know this. It's a D80 with video (not idea why) and 2 more MP

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I think the OP is saying that the D90 is very similar if not the same/better when it comes to image quality. The D90 seems to have the same noise if not less than the D300. Sure the D300 has a nicer body and several extra features but the image quality is comparable if not better...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
But the the extra features are the whole point of the DXXX series. Only the video made me think of the D90 instead of a used D200, until I learned about its failings on release day and even today.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think the OP is saying that the D90 is very similar if not the same/better when it comes to image quality. The D90 seems to have the same noise if not less than the D300. Sure the D300 has a nicer body and several extra features but the image quality is comparable if not better...

I haven't heard anyone credible state that the D90's image quality and noise performance are somehow better than the D300. I have read Nikon's claim that the output is "as good as" the D300, which is something.

But you have to remember that some of those "extra features" on the D300 are important to some photographers, and DO affect image quality. Mirror lock-up springs immediately to mind, since it was something I've wanted for a long time. That's not important to everyone - certainly not to someone who never uses a tripod - but, the point is, the differences between the D300 and D90 are not just cosmetic.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I haven't heard anyone credible state that the D90's image quality and noise performance are somehow better than the D300. I have read Nikon's claim that the output is "as good as" the D300, which is something.

But you have to remember that some of those "extra features" on the D300 are important to some photographers, and DO affect image quality. Mirror lock-up springs immediately to mind, since it was something I've wanted for a long time. That's not important to everyone - certainly not to someone who never uses a tripod - but, the point is, the differences between the D300 and D90 are not just cosmetic.

No doubt about it. I understand that the D300 has some features that the D90 doesn't have and that people will demand....hence the price being substantial more than that of the D90 ($999 compared to $1615) I have used both (yesterday in fact) and I think the D300 is the "better camera" but I don't think people are giving the D90 its due. Nikon has produced something that has never been done. Stellar image quality in a nice compact DSLR with HD video...People that aren't impressed are those that aren't impressed by anything I guess.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Some of you don't read at all.

The OP is saying that the implementation of Live View is better than the one on the D300 (D700, D3 included), everything else is just what it is.

The ONLY comparison he made between the D300 and D90 deals with LIVE VIEW.

p.s. Some may not be impressed since a few of us saw it coming. Not that we read the rumor sites weeks before, but soon after the MP count got above 8 and many P&S cameras pulled good video, we assumed it'd be no time before SLRs started to shoot vids... especially with Live View on SLRs via the main sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.