Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Some of you don't read at all.

The OP is saying that the implementation of Live View is better than the one on the D300 (D700, D3 included), everything else is just what it is.

The ONLY comparison he made between the D300 and D90 deals with LIVE VIEW.

Well, to be fair, the OP did say he could now sell his D300 (as well as the D80 and Sony HD Camcorder) - so the implication was that, for his needs, the D90 is better than the D300. That's obviously subjective, and the OP is the best judge of what'll work best for him (and I realize you're not arguing that at all).

Most of this thread has just been arguing about exactly what that does/doesn't mean. :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Most of this thread has just been arguing about exactly what that does/doesn't mean. :D

Right, I guessed I missed that part too. And yes, the rest of the thread has gone to the point of why one would need one model over the other.

When comparing the two bodies, the largest difference between them will be based on weather sealing, and those few features, like mirror lockup and AF speed, that are based on your photography.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I would love to see a video from this camera. As a Canon shooter, I think these D90's care so neat.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Well the D90 can definately replace the D80 and the sony HD camcorder. The video is nicer to use. AVI files play great on the mac with no conversion required. The Sony implementation is painstaking to import and use.

As far as replacing the D300. Well for what I do which is some video work, some photography but mostly to shoot the family and activities I think the D90 can cover those things well. The D300 is a better feeling camera and has some great features but the D90 is more friendly to use. For example, when looking at the pics on the camera pressing the zoom out button on the D300 takes you back I think 2 steps to show multiple pics but the D90 takes you back 4 steps all the way to a calendar to show you pics on a certain day. VERY usefull. The Live view is WAY better on the D90. Just press one button and you are off. The D300 you have to turn a dial that requires a button push to turn first then you have to do it again to get out of it.

Another great feature of the D90 is while taking video I can press the shutter and take a photo. The video stops when that happens but its one shutter snap of the finger to get that image if you need to.

Will I sell the D300? No. WIll I sell the Sony HD camcorder, umm probably not but I am selling the D80. No use for that camera now. I will sell the D300 when I decide I want to spend the money on the D700 though. Now THATS A CAMERA that can and will replace the D300.

So, is the D90 better than the D300? For some things, not for all. Will it be able to go toe to toe with the D90, yes for me it will.

If the D300 had video it would be no issue at all I would own that one but video in a DSLR is too good to pass up. It really is spectacular. Crisp video with any lens and easy to view and import files using AVI. I love it.

The D300 feels too nice in the hand to sell though plus I got a good deal on it. If I was hurting for money I would sell it for the D90 though but I am not hurting for cash so I will keep it. Am waiting for the D800 though. FX with HD video boy I can't wait.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Cool. Can you tell me if has the CA correction magic like the D300, D3 and D700 have? If it does that'd be excellent.

As macenforcer is too busy shooting with his new D90, I'll answer this myself ;)
Apparently the D90 does indeed have CA correction. Which is cool.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I like how Nikon continues to be aggressive feature-wise - they're not afraid to have lower-tier cameras that incorporate some upgrades compared to similar features in higher-priced cameras.

Nikon has been doing exactly that for about 40 years. Nikon always puts the new feature on the consumer camera before it shows up in the pro model. It's kind of like using the consumers as beta testers. The only exception I can think of as putting the RGB meter in the F5. This was the first use of this new kind of meter.

I think "program" and "S" exposure modes first were in a consummer camera. An "FE" or the like before it was put in an F model.

Turns out that professionals are conservative. They don't hand new un-tested features. Nikon has always been very conservative with their pro cameras. Canon historically has gone the other route introducing high end features first in theior high end cameras.

drmike

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
California
Macenforcer, congratulations on the D90! I just got one myself. I'm wondering you could do a favor for me. If it's not too much trouble, could you try the following on your D90:

1) take the camera into a quiet room
2) go to the "Clean Image Sensor" option in the Setup menu
3) go to "Clean at Startup/Shutdown"
4) select "Clean at Startup & Shutdown" and hit OK to activate the feature
5) exit the menu
6) turn your camera off and then on -- and while doing this, hold your camera to your hear and listen for any sounds

I'm curious to know if you hear anything during the cleaning process. Here's why I'm asking: even when the cleaning is turned on, the D90 doesn't indicate if the process is actually happening (e.g. no message upon startup that says "cleaning sensor"). The only other way to know if it's working is if the process makes any sound (since it's "shaking" the sensor). On my D90, I think I hear some very faint "ticks", but I'm not positive (the sound is very faint), and I'd like to confirm this with another D90 owner -- basically I'm trying to figure out if my D90 is behaving "normally".

A couple of D300 users told me they don't get a message either, but they do hear a slight "squeak". It's possible that Nikon made the feature even quieter for the D90, but I'm not sure. I do know that with other brands, such as Canon, there's an LCD message and a detectable sound. With the D90, there IS a message if you select "Clean Now" while the camera is powered on, but I don't hear much with that option either (aside from those faint "ticks").

Thanks!

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I'm planning on getting a D90 as well in a few weeks. I had posted here about getting a D300 a month or so ago and there were some problems with shipping and with me getting married in a month I can't really afford it anymore. I think the D90 will be great for me. I currently have a Digital Rebel XT that I've had since they came out whenever that was. The dial hasn't worked for over a year meaning I can only take pictures in the full auto mode and can't adjust the exposure. I'm really looking forward to the D90. It's no D300, but will put a great camera in my hand for a few years.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Macenforcer, congratulations on the D90! I just got one myself. I'm wondering you could do a favor for me. If it's not too much trouble, could you try the following on your D90:

1) take the camera into a quiet room
2) go to the "Clean Image Sensor" option in the Setup menu
3) go to "Clean at Startup/Shutdown"
4) select "Clean at Startup & Shutdown" and hit OK to activate the feature
5) exit the menu
6) turn your camera off and then on -- and while doing this, hold your camera to your hear and listen for any sounds

I'm curious to know if you hear anything during the cleaning process. Here's why I'm asking: even when the cleaning is turned on, the D90 doesn't indicate if the process is actually happening (e.g. no message upon startup that says "cleaning sensor"). The only other way to know if it's working is if the process makes any sound (since it's "shaking" the sensor). On my D90, I think I hear some very faint "ticks", but I'm not positive (the sound is very faint), and I'd like to confirm this with another D90 owner -- basically I'm trying to figure out if my D90 is behaving "normally".

A couple of D300 users told me they don't get a message either, but they do hear a slight "squeak". It's possible that Nikon made the feature even quieter for the D90, but I'm not sure. I do know that with other brands, such as Canon, there's an LCD message and a detectable sound. With the D90, there IS a message if you select "Clean Now" while the camera is powered on, but I don't hear much with that option either (aside from those faint "ticks").

Thanks!

My conclusions are the same as yours. A tick sound but no notification.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well, to be fair, the OP did say he could now sell his D300 (as well as the D80 and Sony HD Camcorder) - so the implication was that, for his needs, the D90 is better than the D300. That's obviously subjective, and the OP is the best judge of what'll work best for him (and I realize you're not arguing that at all).

It's smart.

He realizes that the D300 has too many features for him that he never uses, and so he's making some of that money back.

drmike

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
California
My conclusions are the same as yours. A tick sound but no notification.

Thanks very much for checking this. I appreciate it. Good to know that this is indeed how it sounds.

The D90's a great camera. I haven't had too much time to use it yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks again.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Can't really compare the quality of the 5D to the D90.

One's FX with a $2700 price tag, the other is cropped with a $1000 price.

Of course one it going to beat the other. Although, the AF and shooting speed is much faster on the D90, one thing I wish Canon would have updated on the 5DII

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Can't really compare the quality of the 5D to the D90.

One's FX with a $2700 price tag, the other is cropped with a $1000 price.

Of course one it going to beat the other. Although, the AF and shooting speed is much faster on the D90, one thing I wish Canon would have updated on the 5DII

Agreed, as much as I'd like the Canon, the D90 is what I can afford.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.