Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsynapse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
Hello, I have a problem installing the system. Please help.

My hardware is Mac Studio M1 from 2022. I wanted to rebuild the system, I erased it. However, I did not make a backup copy or a bootable USB. Now the mac boots into recovery mode.

During startup, only the "options" option appears. The "Macintosh HD" drive does not appear:
IMG_3125.JPEG

I format the disk without any problems:
IMG_3126.JPEG

During the installation of Ventura (first I tried via Wi-Fi, then via Ethernet), the following messages appear:
IMG_3131.JPEG

IMG_3132.JPEG

It ends like this:
IMG_3133.JPEG

The system version that is currently stuck is:
IMG_3117.JPEG

I also tried to boot from a bootable disk created on Windows. I tried to load Monterey. The disk appeared, but I couldn't do anything with it.

I am asking you for help because I don't know what to do anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_3127.JPEG
    IMG_3127.JPEG
    243.4 KB · Views: 40

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
A few thoughts...
1) Your first mistake was wanting to "rebuild" the system". This is pointless with modern macOS. The new system is going to be identical to what you had before, so nothing can be gained. You should have left the system alone and used the system’s built in “Erase all content and settings” feature.
2) But having decided to do it, your second mistake was manually erasing the SSD. It can work if you know what you’re doing, but it’s prone to error if done incorrectly. You could have let the Recovery system safely do this by choosing the option to Reinstall macOS.
3) Now that you’re in this mess, I second the Apple Configurator route. You'll need a second Mac. Borrow one if you need to. Here are Apple's instructions:

Last edited:
Reactions: chrfr and b17777

xsynapse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
Yes, right. After wiping the system, the first boot was fine. Mac was calling for keyboard connections etc. Unfortunately, I went to recovery mode and manually erased the SSD.

Okay, I'll try DFU mode and let you know.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
This looks like what I experienced only a week ago, when going back and forth between Sonoma and Ventura for testing stuff. Pretty sure I fixed it by selecting the "Erase this mac" in Apple menu of Recovery. After entering your ID and password, this releases the mac from the AppleID and password. No need for DFU.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

xsynapse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023
This looks like what I experienced only a week ago, when going back and forth between Sonoma and Ventura for testing stuff. Pretty sure I fixed it by selecting the "Erase this mac" in Apple menu of Recovery. After entering your ID and password, this releases the mac from the AppleID and password. No need for DFU.
I see. I don't have access to "erase this mac", or I don't see it. If I could see some video or screenshot it would be better.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Careful with Apple Configurator 2.

You have to use the proper cable (USBc high speed charging-capable cable), AND, you have to connect it to the correct USBc port (if you don't use the designated port, it won't work).

And... you have to use the proper key combination to boot up the Studio after making the connections.

All explained on the support pages for AC2.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I see. I don't have access to "erase this mac", or I don't see it. If I could see some video or screenshot it would be better.
You’re past that point. A DFU restore will have your computer up and running in just a few minutes.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

You have to use the proper cable (USBc high speed charging-capable cable)
The standard Apple USB-C laptop (or iPad) charging cable works perfectly in this application.

xsynapse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2023

You have to use the proper cable (USBc high speed charging-capable cable), AND, you have to connect it to the correct USBc port (if you don't use the designated port, it won't work).

And... you have to use the proper key combination to boot up the Studio after making the connections.

All explained on the support pages for AC2.
Yes, I know, I know. I already have everything prepared ;) Thanks.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
When you startup from recovery, before you select reinstall, diskutilities etc. you should se "Erase this mac" in the apple menu.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Did you start the Mac Studio correctly?

Pull power plug, hold start button, connect power plug, wait until DFU react, release start button?

Collection of all Apple IPSW Links

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.