Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
So, the news says there is possibly no hardware in WWDC. Do you guys think it's better to wait a little longer for the new iPad pro?

Shadownix

Suspended
May 22, 2018
Next most likely release window is September or October, which is unfortunate because it wont come in time for back to school, if you have something to hold you over I would keep waiting as the current pros are a year old now. Sad that I cant afford to wait that long and will probably get a surface book instead.

Reactions: eVolcre

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Next most likely release window is September or October, which is unfortunate because it wont come in time for back to school, if you have something to hold you over I would keep waiting as the current pros are a year old now. Sad that I cant afford to wait that long and will probably get a surface book instead.
I have a surface pro 4 in hand, but its battery life and operating system as tablet are jokes. :(

Reactions: mabaker

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If I was in the market for one I would hold off until after WWDC to ensure that there isn't a new one coming, and then buy either way. If there isn't one now then it will be several months until there is an update, so it probably isn't worth waiting. But as always how happy you are with your current set up and if you can get by continuing to use it until the fall when the next release window is will determine if you would be better off waiting.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I just bought one two weeks ago. My return period is ending, but I asked the manager for permission to extend it until Tuesday.

I am not sure what I will do if the upgrade is announced, but not available until September or October. I do have an Air 2 which is perfectly serviceable to use in the meantime.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I just bought one two weeks ago. My return period is ending, but I asked the manager for permission to extend it until Tuesday.

I am not sure what I will do if the upgrade is announced, but not available until September or October. I do have an Air 2 which is perfectly serviceable to use in the meantime.
If you’ll be happy with what you have keep it. If buyers remorse will set in or you prefer a different in between size without bezels, return, make do with the iPad Air and wait it out till September. Should be a processor boost too, although the current ones are still blazing fast. FaceId and everything else isn’t a deal breaker or maker.

I’m holding out for a size change. 12.9 is great as a laptop replacement but too unwieldy as a tablet. 10.3 works as a tablet but really too small for all day work.

A 11.5 bezelless hits the sweet spot. Or, current 12.9 with a lot of bezels and weight shaved off to make it more manageable. Otherwise I’d buy a current model and be very happy with it for a while. Rumored pencil upgrade is there. Praying for a better Smart Keyboard solution or more accessories.

And to be honest, I do like the latest and greatest and wouldn’t be happy with a 5 year old design if it’s being completely overhauled. It’ll eat at me in time

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'm ready to buy a new iPad Pro too – I'm at least waiting until Monday morning's announcements. If there's nothing there, then I'll recognize that as a choice between going ahead now (the current amazing units are one year old, so there are some good deals on them occasionally), or waiting until fall – my main hope there would pertain to the possibility of the iPhone X's design achievements influencing the iPad Pro's.

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011

I'm in the same boat...but my return period is longer, on both the IPP and the Case that I bought and even the Apple Pencil in case a new one comes out...I will be watching Monday also.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I'm in the same boat...but my return period is longer, on both the IPP and the Case that I bought and even the Apple Pencil in case a new one comes out...I will be watching Monday also.
If you’re happy you could simply keep what you have for a year and upgrade when the kinks have been sorted out. Apple products hold value pretty well. Don’t think you’d be more than 200 out of pocket for a full years usage.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you’re happy you could simply keep what you have for a year and upgrade when the kinks have been sorted out. Apple products hold value pretty well. Don’t think you’d be more than 200 out of pocket for a full years usage.
Caveat with this is it depends on the configuration. If you tend to max out (e.g. 512GB LTE), you'll get hit harder by depreciation. The 64GB Wi-Fi, there are plenty enough deals that one is likely to get close to breaking even.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Caveat with this is it depends on the configuration. If you tend to max out (e.g. 512GB LTE), you'll get hit harder by depreciation. The 64GB Wi-Fi, there are plenty enough deals that one is likely to get close to breaking even.
True. Even more depreciation than normal this year if a new model with a new design comes out. Tough call. Let's see what Monday brings (i'm still hopeful for an announcement and a August release :) :) )

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There's never a bad time to buy into iPad Pro. If you want one today don't worry about what might be available sometime in the future.
That depends.

Personally, I would've been filled with regret if I had given in to temptation and bought the A9X-based iPad Pro 12.9 256GB LTE for $1229+tax in late 2016/early 2017.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
There's never a bad time to buy into iPad Pro. If you want one today don't worry about what might be available sometime in the future.

Not that simple. Especially so close to a new version and that too one that's rumored to be drastically redesigned. more than 3 to 6 months, sure. Less than that when FaceID and less bezels is all but guaranteed, no way! I'd hold off.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think this year they're coming out in the autumn, perhaps in October or November after the iPhone, and will be upgraded with A12X—skipping A11X entirely.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
So, the news says there is possibly no hardware in WWDC. Do you guys think it's better to wait a little longer for the new iPad pro?

Now is a great time to buy an iPad Pro. I bought one from Best Buy getting them to price match Costco. Saved $150 on a 12”. I think costco is doing $150 off the 10.5” right now as well.

Additionally, performance of the Generation 2 iPad pro’s is phenomenal. It benchmarks at MacBook Pro speeds and has all day battery life.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Have been waiting for about 3 months. The problem with waiting longer is that just like the MBP line, Apple may take out useful features and put in undesirable features. If Apple is going to include an ugly notch in the IPP 2018, will you still wait for a few months for it to come out?

Adrianinkc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
Bought a 12.9 256gb last Saturday. Have no desire to wait around till fall or spring for one that will be a little faster, I still think if they put Face ID on it the price will go up. If the iPhone cost $1,000 I don’t even want to know what the next iPad will cost.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Costco has the IpadPro 10.5, 256, on sale for 120 off. You have 90 days to return it.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Bought a 12.9 256gb last Saturday. Have no desire to wait around till fall or spring for one that will be a little faster, I still think if they put Face ID on it the price will go up. If the iPhone cost $1,000 I don’t even want to know what the next iPad will cost.
Not a bad move. It’ll last you a good couple of years while the kinks are worked out. Check the refurbished store btw. I saw a high end model at 250 off.

Reactions: Adrianinkc

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have been waiting for about 3 months. The problem with waiting longer is that just like the MBP line, Apple may take out useful features and put in undesirable features. If Apple is going to include an ugly notch in the IPP 2018, will you still wait for a few months for it to come out?
If so, refurb store will likely have the older model at deeper discounts. I'm not particularly fond of FaceID and all the new gestures but at the same time, I don't really need to get a Pro 10.5 right away. I also don't like 16:9 AR (although 3:2 is okay). If I don't like the new iPad, I'd just grab a 512GB LTE Pro 10.5 from the refurb store.

If one is willing to buy used (I don't), then pricing will likely be even better.

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
I was waiting for the new one too....but ended up buying a 10.5" IPP2 2nd gen as a late mother's day present for $499 last week at microcenter in New Jersey. Pretty decent deal for a brand new one...so I chose not to wait. Needless to say, she loves the upgrade from her Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.