Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
In countries such as Jamaica where Internet penetration remains low, Internet Cafe's remain the only alternative things like video, streaming and large downloads. I have 3G/4G from Digicel Jamaica, but its metered, I can't do much with it. They are setup as plans that limit what you can access. At least Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are free on it.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Don't take it personally if people believe that all over the world their home conditions prevail as well.
They could learn a lot of other countries, their culture, their music, etc., like for instance from your country.
For many people in the USA the only thing they know and appreciate is mexican food...:rolleyes: but of course there is much, much more than just that ;)

Cordiales saludos de un sudamericano expatriado por los azares de la vida que admiró siempre los héroes de la revolución mejicana como Zapata o Pancho Villa. :)
Edmundo

No, I do not take it personally. I have lived in the us and for every arrogant, condescending person there are actually a lot of really great people. The wife (she was there 2 years) says they are some of the best people she has ever met so I am not down on all people in the us.

Know what? Mexican food in the us is not even like real mexican food. For one thing it's not all the same everywhere in mexico and tacos are anything in a corn tortilla, enchiladas are not done in an oven, salsa is not sweet, etc., etc. Very different in the us except for maybe some border places catering to those from the us. I can understand the different tastes.

Lol, my pet peeve is those in the us calling Habaneros, Habeñeros. There is no ñ. But I digress.

Gracias y saludos hermano, cuidate.

[doublepost=1455382621][/doublepost]
In countries such as Jamaica where Internet penetration remains low, Internet Cafe's remain the only alternative things like video, streaming and large downloads. I have 3G/4G from Digicel Jamaica, but its metered, I can't do much with it. They are setup as plans that limit what you can access. At least Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are free on it.

The same here in mexico except the the majority do not have internet at home and close to 90% use pay as you go phone service without internet. Pay as you go, such as virgin mobile which is gsm, has a service for 50 pesos (about 2.80 us) which is free whatsapp, facebook, etc. for a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Dee

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Know what? Mexican food in the us is not even like mexican food here. For one thing it's not all the same everywhere in mexico and tacos are anything in a corn tortilla, enchiladas are not done in an oven, etc., etc. Very different in the us except for maybe some border places catering to those from the us.
People wanting to eat the real mexican food should travel to Mexico :) a very interesting country which has much more than just food to offer to visitors:)
Gracias y saludos hermano.
Mis mas cordiales saludos ;)

[doublepost=1455382621][/doublepost]

The same here in mexico except the the majority do not have internet at home and close to 90% use pay as you go phone service without internet.
At least the good side is that mexicans can have free access to everything even if they use internet shops instead of home services.
In sad places in the world like Iran, North Korea or China many internet services are prohibited by dictatorial state censorship.
THAT is a true problem :eek: in the world.

After all internet is...the same internet... wether at home, at office or in a internet shop :D
As long as people can get in touch with each other and access knowledge sources, the way to reach that goal is not so important :)
Ed

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
At least the good side is that mexicans can have free access to everything even if they use internet shops instead of home services.
In sad places in the world like Iran, North Korea or China many internet services are prohibited by dictatorial state censorship.
THAT is a true problem :eek: in the world.

After all internet is...the same internet... wether at home, at office or in a internet shop :D
As long as people can get in touch with each other and access knowledge sources, the way to reach that goal is not so important :)
Ed
Yes, that is very true. There is always someone worse off. Kids here flock to cibers after school and connect a half an hour or an hour for a few pesos (18 to a us dollar right now).

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
No, I do not take it personally. I have lived in the us and for every arrogant, condescending person there are actually a lot of really great people. The wife (she was there 2 years) says they are some of the best people she has ever met so I am not down on all people in the us.

Know what? Mexican food in the us is not even like real mexican food. For one thing it's not all the same everywhere in mexico and tacos are anything in a corn tortilla, enchiladas are not done in an oven, salsa is not sweet, etc., etc. Very different in the us except for maybe some border places catering to those from the us. I can understand the different tastes.

Gracias y saludos hermano, cuidate.
People wanting to eat the real mexican food should travel to Mexico a very interesting country which has much more than just food to offer to visitors;)
Gracias y saludos hermano.
:)
Mis mas cordiales saludos a alguien de ese país magnífico :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.