Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I also find the rebel cameras to feel "plastic and cheaply made" and have never enjoyed them, the control layout is a nightmare too. And I have small hands!

SLC
That's not the case with me. I like the feel of the little Rebel XT, and have no problems with its controls layout. It took me a little time to get used to the "sturdy" and large 40D, but I am happy with it.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
That is 100% incorrect. The 40D's LCD is an extremely high resolution display, the issue comes with Canon's review algorithm. It shows a much lower resolution copy of the image just captured, thus resulting in the discrepancy between sharp or out of focus. The 50D is said to have an improved algorithm.

To prove my point, take a 40D and put it in Live View. This shows just how nice the LCD is. You can pinpoint your focus on it, no problem. Take the picture, and then see the previewed image. Is it sharp? Well you know it is because you just saw that it was perfectly in focus, but the preview image is making you scratch your head. That's the result of the algorithm, not the LCD.

If I were on a budget of $1000, I'd take a 40D or even a Canon XSi (what I'm using now until the 50D or 5D MKII come out). The 40D is dropping in price now that the 50D has been announced, and it's a fabulous camera. And Nikon can't even compare (at this moment) to the lenses available from Canon and the much superior L glass is always a beautiful thing to use.

I'm not anti-Nikon in any way, but I've always felt Canon has offered better lenses and better IQ from nearly all of their DSLR bodies. The XSi is astounding in IQ for a $600 camera.

My 2 Cents.

Thanks for the correction. But it seems extremely short-sighted of canon to not utilize the high resolution display for previewing images. It should at least be an option. Either way, its a problem for me.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Just to present a different option, you can do an E3 for about $1400 and a $300-400 lens to start, and you'll be in the pro department, have Live View, articulating LCD, weather sealed body, image stabalizer, and crazy fast focus.

While this will not be the popular choice, four third lenses are availsble from 3 great brands: Olympus, Leica(Panasonic), and Sigma.

It's worth looking into it.

http://www.four-thirds.org

http://www.olympusamerica.com/e3/index.asp

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
D90 Body
18-200 VR lens

This is a killer combo...you'll love it.

I have the Nikon 18-200VR lens and it is fantastic. I rarely use anything else now - my Nikon 50/1.4 when it's very dark and my Nikon 300/4 for the occasional long telephoto shot, but for 99% of the time the 18-200VR does it all. My camera's a D70 by the way which is great, but a little lower resolution than the current generation.

HB

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ditto on the Pentax K10D; you can find a used body under $500 (price is no reflection at all on quality of the body OR its abilities by any means). Since you don't have a lens collection, you'll have cash leftover for some really nice glass that can't be had at Nikon/Canon prices (especially for primes).

I have a Pentax K10D and it's a great camera, especially when you pair it with the 1.4/50mm Pentax prime instead of the 18-55 kit lens. You get an awful lot of features for your money -- including weather seals, which have been handy when I've been caught unawares in a drizzle.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
No objections there, I've not heard a lot of stories about Rebel's cracking or having other major quality issues. But I still have a problem with the feel of the camera, it just doesn't inspire confidence in the durability of the camera to me. I'd be worried about using it in certain settings, maybe those worries would be unfounded, but I'd still be wary of it.

SLC

From my experience, I wouldn't worry about the Rebels' quality. I've had a backup Rebel XT since 2005. It has consistently been in tropical humidity, trekked through mud, rain, dust and dropped a few times. It has well over 100K shutter releases - definitely way more than it's rated for. But now it's time to upgrade the backup due to improvements in image resolution of the new XSi. I love the small size as well for keeping the load compact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.