Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
It does seem that there is not a lot of difference between the first party lenses, the difference with Sony v everyone else is that Sony don't have the range at the moment

Sony has all the realistic options for a general shooter. Now that they've got a pro-FF body, their lens selection will grow quickly.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Not the A700, it's got the same sensor as the D300 from Nikon. And most agree that the D300 is the best high ISO APS-C DSLR in today's market.

SLC

That is another reason that I liked the a700, but is there really that much difference between the iso on the a700 and the 40D?

I think that I have opened a can of worms sorry :)

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Didn't mean to create so much debate lol :) But it is all helpful in me working out what is best :)

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Dpreview seems to indicate that they all perform equally well at high ISO with each body giving a slightly different look as a result of different methods of approaching NR. Looking at the results, I prefer the D300's film grain look, followed closely by the Sony.

And the Sony has the added benefit of body based shake reduction. Giving some benefit with each lens you attach. I don't think it can be overstated how nice that is to have at your disposal.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Dpreview seems to indicate that they all perform equally well at high ISO with each body giving a slightly different look as a result of different methods of approaching NR. Looking at the results, I prefer the D300's film grain look, followed closely by the Sony.

And the Sony has the added benefit of body based shake reduction. Giving some benefit with each lens you attach. I don't think it can be overstated how nice that is to have at your disposal.

Yes, that means that I don't have to buy a lens with shake reduction built in. I think that I may be leaning towards the 40D or at least this thread has put a bit of doubt into my mind. Although I do like the ability to add on a geo tagging device to the sony, I don't know if you can with the 40D The D300 is out of my price range really

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Sonys are HORRIBLE for high-ISO, what are you talking about?
Yup, I agree, Sony high ISO is horrible! In terms of High ISO performance, top is Nikon followed by Canon and last is Sony. Well I'm not sure how long it will take Sony to improve their image processing, but right now, it is the worst of the 3 companies, and even the A900 has FF, its high ISO performance is still horrible when compared to 5D Mark II, don't need to put it to shame if to compare with D700.

Hmm, I guess for Sony, their premium lenses will be Zeiss? As for Canon it will be L lenses, Nikon dont have specific labels for their lens, its more of you pay more and get good glass.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Not the A700, it's got the same sensor as the D300 from Nikon. And most agree that the D300 is the best high ISO APS-C DSLR in today's market.

SLC

Nikon's edge over Sony isn't the base sensor's noise limits, it's the signal processing after the sensor, where Nikon clearly beats Sony with their own sensors. Look at any DPReview noise comparision at high-ISO, especially with the full-frame sensors.

You can't just look at the sensors, you have to look at the whole platform.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
wheelhot what Canon do you think has good high iso for around $1000?

That is true compuwar I do need to look at the whole platform

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If I go for the Canon 40D it means that I will have to buy at least two new lenses to keep the range that I have with sony at the moment.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
wheelhot what Canon do you think has good high iso for around $1000?

That is true compuwar I do need to look at the whole platform

You don't say what lenses you're looking at, nor what your intended shooting is. It's often much better to spend less on a body than on lenses if you're looking at a long-term investment. DSLR bodies are 3-5 year commitments, lenses are 10-20 year commitments- plus, there are quite a few used lens bargains around if you search (KEH.com is probably the best place to use for budgeting online.) Although each ISO/f-stop is a doubling or halving of the light, when you do it on a lens, you also get more subject isolation from the shallower depth of field. If you're shooting people, that's a good thing- landscapes not so much- so your intended use is important. Also, not everyone needs something that produces clean shots at ISO4800- so you have to really look more at what you're going to shoot, as well as your percieved long-term lens goals if you want to get the most for your money. For instance, if you were to want to shoot birds, you'd see that your only option once Sony comes out with a long enough lens is going to be a new lens in the $8000 range- where Nikon and Canon have a used market that can save you $3000 or so with 2-3 generations of super-telephotos.

If you're just going to shoot normal stuff with consumer or common focal length lenses, then it really doesn't matter which DSLR you get- anything current will give you excellent results for general-purpose photography.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If I go for the Canon 40D it means that I will have to buy some new lenses, one of which would be the Canon EF-S 18-200mm, f3.5-5.6 Image Stabiliser lens

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

SLC

While Nikon may make use of Sony's wafer fabs (and conversely, Sony probably makes use of Nikon's semiconductor manufacturing equipment), the sensor designs produced on Nikon's behalf are unique to Nikon.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
compuwar - My main use will be for landscape shots, longer distance shots of buildings and also some nature shots. :) The main lens I would use would be the Canon EF-S 18-200mm, f3.5-5.6 Image Stabiliser lens if I were to get the 40D

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks slc I will have a look at that. I am slightly more confused than when I started lol. It is going to be hard to make up my mind but I am moving away from the Sony and more towards a Canon, most likely the 40D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you peruse the tables at dxomark, the D90, GX-20 (Samsung's version of the K20D), and a used original 5D pop up in your price range.

The 5D gives you access to the widest zoom (Sigma 12-24), but be forewarned that at 12mm, the effect is extreme (I use the Nikon version with my 14n).

Because of that kind of thing, it's important to also look here:

http://dxo.com/us/photo/dxo_optics_pro/product_editions/cameras_lenses

(open the triangle in the cameras that interest you)

cooloregon

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Good for you

Well you've selected the same camera I've been looking at too. The Alpha a700 would be a great starting camera for you. Great for the new learner and advanced photographer. I always thought that one sould buy a camera with more than you need now and as you advanced in you're ability you won"t need to buy another camera too soon. As for lens, because Sony uses the same lens mount that (Konica)Minolta used, there are more than enough lenses that you may choose from. Adorama and B&H Photo have great selections of Minolta and Sony lenses new and used. Good shooting!

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi there cooloregon, what other cameras have you been looking at / considering, I am looking at the canon 40d more seriously now, although I do like the a700. Decisions decisions. lol

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It's important to check some reputable stores about the availability of used lenses. In my experience, nothing comes close to the offer for Canon and Nikon.

Note also that some brands discontinued many of their older lenses (RoHS?), and there's few new replacements, so that finding things like a big tele could be very hard and expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.