Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lairdhenn

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
I had the exact same problem and tried seemingly hundreds of solutions that would work anywhere from a few hours to a couple weeks, including fresh OS installs. Eventually, out of nowhere, the problem would always reemerge. I thought it was an issue with my laptop but I bit the bullet and bought a new/better router and the problem instantly disappeared. I went from a Netgear 802.11n to a T Link 802.11 ac router and my overall internet experience has been very improved. If your problem appears again I would recommend not wasting any more time on troubleshooting and instead try using a different router. I haven't had a disconnect or signal drop in months whereas before it was a daily annoyance.

Reactions: haikitteh

buckingham2015

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
California
Noooooooooooo. NOOOOOOOOO. It started happening again this morning aghhhhhh. It was completely flawless until just now. Why? Whyyyyyy?

I guess the next step is to buy a new router, although really the fundamental problem lies in OS X so it's ******** that we have to buy new routers to circumvent this problem. As I've said, every other single device in my house works flawlessly with this router, even this same laptop works flawlessly when boot camped into Windows 10. Reinstalling OS X cleared the problem for a couple days, so there's something going wrong in the OS. Super obnoxious.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Watching closely I'm seeing some abnormal behaviour on iOS devices too but I think iOS is better at recovery so it mostly goes un-noticed - router change coming up....

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yeah i get the same issue too on my multiple mac devices, but not on the iOS or windows ones.
What helped for a while was deleting the location in network preferences, but each patch from apple seems to bring back the issue again.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I get this from time to time. It was worse for me on Yosemite where it would happen several times a day. Now it will only happen occasionally on El Cap (for me anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.