Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
A few days ago, I used CCCloner to back up my 867MHz PowerBook G4 (aluminum version, not the TiBook) and make a full bootable copy of its hard drive. I copied to a 30gb USB and it took 8.5 hours :rolleyes: USB 1.1 is much worse than I remembered it, I'm used to 2.0 on my 2015 imac, and that isn't even that fast! Then the next day (actually yesterday) I used CCC on my 1GHz Power Mac G4 MDD to clone the bootable Leopard USB to an empty 100gb HDD I have in the ATA66 slot. That also took 8 hrs. Now, when I use the boot selector (hold option/alt at boot) to select the new HDD, it doesn't work. Let me explain that better. I select Leopard in the boot selector. The Apple screen with the logo comes up, but when the spinny loading icon appears, it stays for a fraction of a second. Then the whole computer shuts off, leaving no signs of life behind. The Mac still works fine in Tiger. (That's on a CF card in an adapter. It boots in 6 seconds!) I thought it was a failing PSU because that's common in these but if it works in Tiger, I don't know why it wouldn't work in leopard.

Here's the twist: I tried booting from the USB with leopard, and it worked! That's why this makes no sense because the second hard drive in the PMG4MDD is an exact clone of the USB that worked.

Twist number 2: I tried the PMG4's new HDD in my G5 with a SATA adapter and it threw a prohibitory symbol, for no apparent reason.

Pls help me figure this out!

Happy Thanksgiving,
-PowerPCFan

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I have a bunch of ideas and things I would try. I wonder if the issue is with the HDD since it is not working with two different computers. Or something was corrupted during cloning process.

Here is the simplest thing I can think of doing-

Do you have a FireWire cable?
Connect the PB to the MDD. Put the MDD in Target Disk Mode. Use Disk Utility to copy the PB drive to the MDD.

Or use CCC to make a restorable image of the PB drive. Connect the the computers the way I mentioned above and then restore the image to the MDD from the PB. It will be a lot faster than 8 hours.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Do you have a FireWire cable?
Connect the PB to the MDD. Put the MDD in Target Disk Mode. Use Disk Utility to copy the PB drive to the MDD.
That's what I originally wanted to do, but couldn't find my FW cable. I think it was FW 800 anyway, so it wouldn't work with a G4.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I have a bunch of ideas and things I would try. I wonder if the issue is with the HDD since it is not working with two different computers. Or something was corrupted during cloning process.
I was thinking corrupted, but that hard drive had ran Sorbet Leopard before so I wouldn't think it would be a hard drive failure, maybe corruption though.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
That's what I originally wanted to do, but couldn't find my FW cable. I think it was FW 800 anyway, so it wouldn't work with a G4.
I bought this to work between my 2010 MBP and older PowerBooks and Macs. It is also useful with my PM G5

Regardless your AI PowerBook 867mhz and MDD both have FireWire 400. As long as you have a 400 cable, you are fine.

If I read you original post correctly, you used CCC to make the USB stick into a bootable drive? Instead, I would use CCC to make a restorable image. I would do that if you go down that route again. Or even better, burn a copy of the 10.5 install DVD.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Before throwing money and hardware haphazardly at the problem, try loading it in verbose mode (hold <Command>V immediately after selection on the multi boot screen) and see where it gets hung up at.
Good idea!

Edit: Just tried it and it appears to be trying to find a file or folder, and then it hangs and kills all processes. That's when the shutdown occurs.

Last edited:

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I bought this to work between my 2010 MBP and older PowerBooks and Macs. It is also useful with my PM G5

Regardless your AI PowerBook 867mhz and MDD both have FireWire 400. As long as you have a 400 cable, you are fine.

If I read you original post correctly, you used CCC to make the USB stick into a bootable drive? Instead, I would use CCC to make a restorable image. I would do that if you go down that route again. Or even better, burn a copy of the 10.5 install DVD.
I might buy that cord. I do have a burning drive in my G5 and I have PPCAppStore downloaded and a web browser on it, so how would I go about downloading a leopard image and burning it? I have a tiger install disc and a leopard install USB but the leopard USB takes 4 hours to install. USB 1.1 bottleneck strikes again!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Just tried it and it appears to be trying to find a file or folder, and then it hangs and kills all processes. That's when the shutdown occurs.
Can you post a picture or video of the error message? We need to know exactly what it says to help figure out what's going wrong. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
What is it trying to find?
Here's a google drive link to a video I took of the computer booting in verbose.

If you can't view it, it says:

devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find directory '/dev', 2syncing disks... Killing all processes...

continuing
done
CPU Halted

Computer shuts off here

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
That is a very serious kernel error, that directory should not be missing. In a UNIX system the /dev directory is the spot where the kernel and system stores virtual device files (/dev/sda [Hard Drive], /dev/tty1 [Console], /dev/cdcrom, etc.) You could try to repair disk permissions/repair disk with an install cd on the hard drive but not sure if that would work. Might have to re-install, or better yet replace the hard drive.

Last edited:

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
The drive — or the cloned Leopard install — doesn’t work in two different machines. This suggests something is wrong with the drive, or the clone.
Yeah this is interesting, I have moved my Leopard SSD from my Quicksilver, to my MDD, to my PMG5 without issues in the past month. It should just work. The cross symbol usually means the kernel cannot find the root device to boot from.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
That is a very serious kernel error, that directory should not be missing. In a UNIX system the /dev directory is the spot where the kernel and system stores virtual device files (/dev/sda [Hard Drive], /dev/tty1 [Console], /dev/cdcrom, etc.) You could try to repair disk permissions/repair disk with an install cd on the hard drive but not sure if that would work. Might have to re-install, or better yet replace the hard drive.
Instead of using an install CD (I do have one) could I use my Tiger install on my CF card to try and repair the disk? Also if the directory is there but it's in the wrong location, would that effect anything? This might be obvious what the problem is when I say this: I forgot to mention that Carbon Copy Cloner failed to copy a directory. I don't remember what it was, but I guessed it was the Downloads folder, because it was missing. I lust copied the downloads folder manually, but the thing it failed to copy could have been the dev directory, not sure.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
The drive — or the cloned Leopard install — doesn’t work in two different machines. This suggests something is wrong with the drive, or the clone.
I think it's the software. The hard drive worked when I had Sorbet on it (see post 4) so I'm guessing it is a software-related issue (missing DEV directory as user @ifrit05 said above.)

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I think it's the software. The hard drive worked when I had Sorbet on it (see post 4) so I'm guessing it is a software-related issue (missing DEV directory as user @ifrit05 said above.)
In this case, you could try re-cloning using SuperDuper!.

Instead of using an install CD (I do have one) could I use my Tiger install on my CF card to try and repair the disk?
I wouldn’t use Tiger’s Disk Utility to do any repairs on a Leopard installation to be honest.

Also if the directory is there but it's in the wrong location, would that effect anything?
Yes. If the dev directory isn’t where it should be, things will go downhill.

Reactions: ww2_1943

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
From what you said about the missing folder that caused the crash I think it’s safe to say the issue isn’t the HDD.

If you have a FW 400 cord I think you should try my original idea. Copy using Disk Tools or use CCC to make a restorable image as opposed to making a bootable usb drive.

FYI- I have nowhere near the knowledge of people on here. I still consider myself an amateur.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
In this case, you could try re-cloning using SuperDuper!.

I wouldn’t use Tiger’s Disk Utility to do any repairs on a Leopard installation to be honest.

Yes. If the dev directory isn’t where it should be, things will go downhill.
Thanks so much to everyone who has posted on this thread to try and help me. Let me know if I'm wrong, but according to these posts, the easiest solution seems to be re-cloning over FireWire 400.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Thanks so much to everyone who has posted on this thread to try and help me. Let me know if I'm wrong, but according to these posts, the easiest solution seems to be re-cloning over FireWire 400.
It seems easiest to me. It’s a lot faster than usb.

I would put the target machine (MDD) in Target Disk Mode. Connect to the PowerBook with the install of osx that you want to copy over and boot. Then try copying the drive on the PowerBook to the MDD using Disk Utility. If that doesn’t work for some reason use CCC.

Go to CCC and make an image of the PowerBook drive. Then restore that image to the MDD while it is in Target Disk Mode.

The process shouldn’t take more than an hour. It depends on how large the drive is.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
It seems easiest to me. It’s a lot faster than usb.

I would put the target machine (MDD) in Target Disk Mode. Connect to the PowerBook with the install of osx that you want to copy over and boot. Then try copying the drive on the PowerBook to the MDD using Disk Utility. If that doesn’t work for some reason use CCC.

Go to CCC and make an image of the PowerBook drive. Then restore that image to the MDD while it is in Target Disk Mode.

The process shouldn’t take more than an hour. It depends on how large the drive is.
Thanks! The drive is 40gb, but it's not quite full, so I think it has around 30gb. I was actually thinking it would be better if you put the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode so it wouldn't have errors copying files that are in use, but then you'd have to use Tigers disk utility to restore the image, and everybody knows that 10.4's disk util is not even close to as good as 10.5's.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Thanks! The drive is 40gb, but it's not quite full, so I think it has around 30gb. I was actually thinking it would be better if you put the PowerBook in Target Disk Mode so it wouldn't have errors copying files that are in use, but then you'd have to use Tigers disk utility to restore the image, and everybody knows that 10.4's disk util is not even close to as good as 10.5's.
I haven't had issues with that yet, but if you want you could put your PowerBook in target disk mode and connect it to your G5. Then make the image from the G5. After you make the image, switch the PowerBook with the MDD and restore the image from the G5.

This is one reason why I really like an external FireWire drive. I use this one with a mSATA in an IDE adapter. I want to buy a second one to keep on hand. That is how useful this thing is

I might buy that cord. I do have a burning drive in my G5 and I have PPCAppStore downloaded and a web browser on it, so how would I go about downloading a leopard image and burning it? I have a tiger install disc and a leopard install USB but the leopard USB takes 4 hours to install. USB 1.1 bottleneck strikes again!

Or, there are also FW800-to-400 adapters which run pretty cheap and take up even less space. :)

fire96fm.main.jpg
fire96mf.main.jpg

I keep a couple of these around in my adapter cubby (in both configurations) when I don’t feel like digging out a spare FW400 cable or vice-versa. :)

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Or, there are also FW800-to-400 adapters which run pretty cheap and take up even less space. :)

fire96fm.main.jpg

I keep a couple of these around (in both configurations, i.e., with inverse plug-receptacle) when I don’t feel like digging out a spare FW400 cable or vice-versa. :)
Thanks so much! I don't even have any firewire cables but I am planning on buying a FW 400 cord, but I might buy that too so I can go from g4 to G5, for example.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.