Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I haven't had issues with that yet, but if you want you could put your PowerBook in target disk mode and connect it to your G5. Then make the image from the G5. After you make the image, switch the PowerBook with the MDD and restore the image from the G5.

This is one reason why I really like an external FireWire drive. I use this one with a mSATA in an IDE adapter. I want to buy a second one to keep on hand. That is how useful this thing is

That drive looks great, I could see that being useful in a lot of cases! I might get that too.

Feel free to check out my other thread in the PowerPC forum about your favorite apps to use on PPC computers.

Thanks so much! I don't even have any firewire cables but I am planning on buying a FW 400 cord, but I might buy that too so I can go from g4 to G5, for example.

At this point, you might be best off just getting a FW800 cable (as the remaining third-party FireWire-enabled products out there still being sold, like the OWC external hard drive enclosure, have FW800 ports only, as well as a spread of Macs built between 2003 and 2012 use FW800) and use it in tandem with that first-type adapter above.

Also worthwhile to note from my own usage: I have an Apple FireWire 800-to-Thunderbolt adapter/dongle for times when I need to check a target disk mode drive with Disk Utility, or when I need to copy over something from a FW drive to a Thundertbolt-only Mac. What I find, when dealing with a second intermediary adapter/dongle in the chain, such as a FW400-to-800 adapter, is some Thunderbolt buses won’t “see” the device (or won’t “see” it consistently). For this reason, it’s also good to consider keeping around a FW800 cable over a 400 cable.

Reactions: Amethyst1

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
At this point, you might be best off just getting a FW800 cable (as the remaining third-party FireWire-enabled products out there still being sold, like the OWC external hard drive enclosure, have FW800 ports only, as well as a spread of Macs built between 2003 and 2012 use FW800) and use it in tandem with that first-type adapter above.

Also worthwhile to note from my own usage: I have an Apple FireWire 800-to-Thunderbolt adapter/dongle for times when I need to check a target disk mode drive with Disk Utility, or when I need to copy over something from a FW drive to a Thundertbolt-only Mac. What I find, when dealing with a second intermediary adapter/dongle in the chain, such as a FW400-to-800 adapter, is some Thunderbolt buses won’t “see” the device (or won’t “see” it consistently). For this reason, it’s also good to consider keeping around a FW800 cable over a 400 cable.
But if I get a 800 cable, I can't use it with my G4s, which is what I need to use FireWire with. Not trying to start an argument, just making a point.

Reactions: B S Magnet

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Update: Just reinstalled Sorbet as a temporary fix until I get official leopard working.

I booted from Tiger and used TinkerTook G2 to enable hidden and system files in Finder. I copied the dev folder from the Sorbet drive onto the Leopard drive. Now when I boot, it doesn't shut down. The loading screen appears, stays for a minute or two, then the computer reboots into Sorbet (that's my startup disk)

Sent from a Very very very slow PBG4.

Reactions: ww2_1943

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Yay! My FireWire cable just arrived. I cloned the PowerBook drive to the g4, and it worked! For some reason the G4 wouldn't boot into TDM so I put the PowerBook in target disk mode. Now I have Tiger, Sorbet leopard, leopard, vintage jaguar, and (soon) Linux

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.