Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah I'm a little slow. Just got the new iMac M3 and starting to explore what I can do with it. I've had these old photos from the 40's, 50's of family that are in terrible shape. As well as old videos shot on mini VHS things I can't remember the name. Those were covered into QuickTime mov files using El Gato 15 years ago...look like crap. lol I saw this program and is it really that good? I may just get this thing to fix these files or make them better. I forgot to ask. Is this the only good app for videos and pictures? How about one for just fixing or enhancing photos? I saw on the App Store AI Photo Enhance by Pictura.

Last edited:

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
Yeah I'm a little slow. Just got the new iMac M3 and starting to explore what I can do with it. I've had these old photos from the 40's, 50's of family that are in terrible shape. As well as old videos shot on mini VHS things I can't remember the name. Those were covered into QuickTime mov files using El Gato 15 years ago...look like crap. lol I saw this program and is it really that good? I may just get this thing to fix these files or make them better. I forgot to ask. Is this the only good app for videos and pictures? How about one for just fixing or enhancing photos? I saw on the App Store AI Photo Enhance by Pictura.
I cannot vouch for the video program as I don't have it, however the Topaz Suite is outstanding for still photos. I have DeNoise, Sharpen, Gigapixel and an older version of PhotoAI and they are all easy to use with great results.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I would guess that, unless you have millions of dollars to hire someone very talented, your VHS videos are not going to improve much no matter what you use.

The Topaz Suite supposedly works wonders on 1080p and up video and dSLR and mirrorless still photos. Plenty of people have recommended it.

The most I've bought for video was Camerabag Pro on Mac, having spent my money on Capture One Pro and Silkypix Pro for still photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: kagharaht

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Tricky situation. Pity the El Gato mov files are not very good. You could certainly try having them upscaled (and enhanced) by software such as Topaz Video AI or, if the original mini VHS "things" are in reasonable shape, go for a service that can do as best quality direct transfer (conversion).

I have Topaz Video AI along with the other Topaz software for still photos. The latter are not a single solution but valuable to other solutions such as photo editing software such as Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Pixelmator Pro etc (all available on Mac) and of course for free - GIMP. I happen to use Affinity Photo as I don't really like subscription software.

One thing I can tell you (and would love to know from others as well) is that Topaz Video AI at times can create exceptionally large files and take hours to process depending on the size of the original file. I am unsure if Topaz Video AI is truly optimized for M-chip Macs.

My suggestion is to look for a service first for the video and try one video. If the results are good then continue. You might want to afterwards use Topaz. As for the photos, look on Youtube for various ways to re-photograph them and then pic some software to edit. Alternatively, if you are on FB, there are groups of people who will do it for free. Some do amazing work and some well.. nah. I know this as from time to time I donate time to one of the groups. Just look up "Photo restoration" and some groups will be listed.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Wow guys thanks. I have more research to do. I looked at the old tape and its VHS C tapes. Since I just retired I want to learn and do this myself. :)

Reactions: phrehdd

ZoieluvuseMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
USA
Frankly speaking, if it is a video taken a long time ago, it is difficult for most AI enhancement tools on the market to completely restore it to high definition for you. Topaz I think their picture enhancement is very good, but video enhancement is not very useful for old videos that are too blurry. But you can try it. In addition, there are several video enhancement tools such as HitPaw Video Enhancer and Moiva ai. You can try them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.