Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
No, I just bought a new camera. I would have tried to change the filter myself, but after buying my new camera, I didn't want to spend MORE money on fixing up my old one.

Besides, I was planning to replace my D50 anyway. I had to replace my D50 earlier than expected, but that's OK.

I think replacing the filter wouldn't be too hard, but it would take a lot of time. :eek:

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
THe problem with cleaning any sensor is when you use any sensor cleaning kit, they all tell you to wipe the swab once forwards and then backwards.

What this does is move the dust particles backwrds and forwards across the sensor thus scratching it.

I reccomend that you only wipe the sensor in one direction to avoid this.

You could always remove the filter that is infront of the sensor and use the camera for infrared photography.

If you are chucking it away please chuck it in my direction.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
My usual method for dust on sensor is rocket blower -> sensor brush -> wet cleaning. I used to used Copperhill method with Eclipse for wet cleaning but have switched to the Visible Dust system. I was always resistant to magnifiers for inspecting the sensor's AA filter, but finally broke down and bought one. WOW! MUCH more useful than I thought it would be for evaluating the sensor.

Sensor_Loupe7_200x200.jpg

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
always use compressed air (make sure the bottle has not been shaken, at all, before use). there are also some other things which work of compressed air that actually suck up air. if you hover it close enough to the filter it will suck up the spec or whatever it is. ive some how managed to get crap on mine and just used compressed air. didnt really make much of a big deal about it. took more time to clean the camera lens:p

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
If you're going to dig up and add to a dead thread from nearly a year ago, at least use proper punctuation and capitalization. Your post is easier to read that way.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
always use compressed air (make sure the bottle has not been shaken, at all, before use). there are also some other things which work of compressed air that actually suck up air. if you hover it close enough to the filter it will suck up the spec or whatever it is. ive some how managed to get crap on mine and just used compressed air. didnt really make much of a big deal about it. took more time to clean the camera lens:p

Using compressed air can be quite risky, I'd recommend avoiding it without a really, really good reason. The liquid propellants if you're using canned air can coat the AA filter or hot mirror, and with either canned air or air out of a compressor, the stream is strong enough to blow debris into places it shouldn't go. Compressed air isn't worth the risk of sensor damage when hand blowers and swabs work well enough. The only place compressed air makes sense is to charge a sensor brush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.