Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
There are a stunning number of people who have invested in digital SLR's and yet persist in shooting on the green rectangle, or whatever the equivalent on their camera is.

I first noticed that while on a cruise, but now pretty much see it everywhere. Nice cameras, nice equipment, no skill.

It'd be great if people spent a little less on kit and a little more on books or classes.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There are a stunning number of people who have invested in digital SLR's and yet persist in shooting on the green rectangle, or whatever the equivalent on their camera is.

I first noticed that while on a cruise, but now pretty much see it everywhere. Nice cameras, nice equipment, no skill.

It'd be great if people spent a little less on kit and a little more on books or classes.

Personally speaking, they can spend their cash on a DSLR and use the green settings and Auto all day. If it helps them get better images then why not. I think the lack of innovation and improved IQ in the P&S market has gotten many people upgrading to DSLRs.

I don't even mind seeing shooters with D300's or D700's shooting family graduations and such. Knock themselves out indeed.

What pains me the most is someone that has that gear, with no skill, attempting to be called a pro with no proper schooling or training and then let others know that such training isn't needed. Then assume that they themselves can break into the imaging industry and make money, but end up regurgitating the same styles and images that others have pioneered.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

On the other hand, they tend to upgrade very frequently and make a nice source of gently used equipment in pristine condition. In the 70's and 80's in the Nikon world the in joke was that Doctors were allowed to purchase Nikons so photographers would have a good source of gently used equipment.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
There are plenty of photographers who aren't `the technical type,' who think in terms of look and not exposure information. You don't need to know what an aperture of f/2.8 means to know that you'd like to take pictures of people in the park or subway.

The aperture isn't just a function for exposure. It's one of the only two ways used to adjust depth of field (the other being camera to subject distance). Not knowing how that works handcuffs someone tremendously when composing images and deciding focus.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

Seeing as the bottom level dSLRs are now as cheap as good compacts used to be a few years ago, I'm really not suprised that the "average" consumer is buying them. Picking up a 1000D/450D + kit lens isn't the investment it used to be (I spent £1000 on my 300D five years ago, which is much more of a big spend). It's like going back to film SLRs where you could pick up a basic model for a few hundred, but technology has evolved to a point where they're now digital.

Case in point, a base level film SLR is only £100 cheaper than a base dSLR. To most people, that's a no-brainer equation.

Though I do get annoyed when I see somebody with a 1D and L lenses who doesn't know what they're doing. At that point, I'm tempted to go beat them over the head with my 70-200 until they see sense.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The aperture isn't just a function for exposure. It's one of the only two ways used to adjust depth of field (the other being camera to subject distance). Not knowing how that works handcuffs someone tremendously when composing images and deciding focus.
Are you trying to explain to me what effect different apertures have on pictures??

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Though I do get annoyed when I see somebody with a 1D and L lenses who doesn't know what they're doing. At that point, I'm tempted to go beat them over the head with my 70-200 until they see sense.
What! You met these kind of people before????

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks for everyones advice, I didn't expect such constructive criticism from just discovered MR community, but you have definitely highlighted my skills gap and its something I can no longer ignore!

My ultimate desire is to produce beautiful large print images , and 12 mega pixel image sensor is something I dreamed about when I was at University studying photo-visual studies back in 2001!
(Hence the choice of the Canon 450d).

When everyone was still using film, but I embraced digital photography. The only thing was I never learnt about the basic principles of film photography well enough..(e.g. One Lesson).

So I'v never really attempted anything out side of the arty & photojournalism realm.

For example nothing like the images you get on interfacelift.com!

So intelligent cameras I become totally reliant on. Without knowing it!
Also :apple: Aperture & RAW images combined, always gave me total control.

(I know I'v been deluding myself:) by not knowing the basics!

Now I need to get back on track, push past my photographers block :) go and tackle that huge missing gap? Called Skills! :rolleyes:

& maybe then I can go and do that, night time city scape photography I've been dreaming about.

Here's a face book link to some of my street work, done on my D70, for anyone thats interested.

P.S some of the work hasn't been post produced, as I threw it on so exposures are a bit off , etc. LOL! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003138&l=8ffc1&id=1408702913

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2001924&l=d7406&id=1408702913

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
I just wanted to say I'm getting nice sharp low light shots in TV mode.

Kit Lens 18-55 is not so bad. I'm digging the 70-200mm .

Start saving me thinks. Done 50mm to death, 24 & 28 is on this kit lens although the sample images I've seen around are supper sharp!

;) Thanks guy's! I think this Canon is going to usher in a new level of photogrpahy for me . Glad I made the switch!

Attachments

• _MG_0469.jpg
    _MG_0469.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 78

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well anyway, glad that you are finally liking your camera and dont hesitate to post some of your street pics.

For your purpose, since you need speed. Half manual should do perfectly well but dont be scared of using full manual. Play with it cause it will give some interesting effect ;)

Hmm, I think the 70-200 will be too big for street photography. Just my op though. Unless you prefer to stand far away from the subject then that is a whole different story :), sort of benefit though cause you can secretly snap some photos without people realizing who are you shooting.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I wish Canon and Nikon would create a way to disable their products until the user has read the manual.

ESPECIALLY DSLRs. Every question you have is answered in the manual. Live Mode issues, the explanations of the modes and their advantages and disadvantages, etc.

It's all there. I love my XSi, it's the best entry-level DSLR I've ever used, and it can do some pretty amazing things. You just need to read about how to do them.

If you don't like manual mode, why didn't you just get a G10 or high end Nikon P&S? DSLR's aren't designed for the "full auto" type.

Put it in M and mess around! You'll learn a lot by experimenting.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I think 90% of my time is spent in Aperture Priority - just seems to work for me, for my uses, and my level of development. And it seems to me the most versatile of the semi-auto modes.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think 90% of my time is spent in Aperture Priority - just seems to work for me, for my uses, and my level of development. And it seems to me the most versatile of the semi-auto modes.

I used to shoot this way also, but I've really grown to love Shutter Priority. I like having a set shutter speed that I can then allow the other settings to be adjusted to keep that shutter speed. I find that the shutter truly is the priority in preventing blurry pictures in many situations and this is my favorite of the semi-Auto modes.

I'll still take full Manual over anything, any day.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house

I use Aperture Priority almost all the time too, except when I'm using a lens that has manual aperture. Then I have to use Manual mode and have to push an extra button to meter at the set aperture and the camera suggests shutter speed. I guess that's also Aperture Priority in a way :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
My ultimate desire is to produce beautiful large print images , and 12 mega pixel image sensor is something I dreamed about when I was at University studying photo-visual studies back in 2001!
(Hence the choice of the Canon 450d).
Well, the difference in megapixels (10 vs. 12) is negligible, especially if you don't use any `real' lens with your camera. Canon's 40D also has 10 and is still a `better camera' than its smaller siblings.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you find limiting with your old camera?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I use Aperture Priority almost all the time too, except when I'm using a lens that has manual aperture. Then I have to use Manual mode and have to push an extra button to meter at the set aperture and the camera suggests shutter speed. I guess that's also Aperture Priority in a way
Make that....erm, how many posts has it been about people using AV more?

Well most of the time, I will use AV but if I want to get sharp images (that happens only when AV fails me) I will usually shoot in TV but of course it could me the photo will be biased towards the darker side (I bet a faster lens would not need the use of TV).

Hmm, so sometime it makes me wonder, when is the only practical time to use full manual?

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Hmm, so sometime it makes me wonder, when is the only practical time to use full manual?

Good question. And for me I believe about the only time I go full manual is when I need to manually bracket my exposures in smaller, incremental stops, like if I need five or more source images for a very, very contrast-y scene that I'm going to do HDR on, and also happen to have my tripod there.

JNB

macrumors 604
Another heavy Av preference. For me it's a matter of predetermining the DOF I want in a particular shot more than anything. I use Tv seldom, and only go full manual when I'm spending the day out and can take that little extra time setting everything up to my desires. Random "snapshotting" is almost always P mode (I'd love to disable the green square altogether!). I absolutely despise the built-in flash.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I don't know if you are looking for sympathy or what. I don't have a 450D nor do I want one, but I do have Canon gear and I love it. That said your problem looks like a problem of poor research before buying and not playing around with a camera in a store first.
Treat this as the warning... know what you want, and get the thing that does what you want it to. Too much research is always better than too little research.

:)

I couldnt have said it better! Before i bought my Canon I read everything I could find about it and played with it in the store a dozen times before I bought it..

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

I was using full manual today when my XSi for some reason was metering erratically. I was set up on a tripod, and the light was changing a bit with the clouds moving overhead, but the shots were veering from 1/60 to 1/3sec for some reason. I got annoyed and finally just switched over to full manual to get the camera to do what I wanted. But that's rare. My usual mode is Av. I occasionally use Tv with my 100mm prime in low light, just to make sure I get sharp shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.