Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buhtwheat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Zanesville, Ohio
I use a Mac Mini G4 for my work. I have been using an H/P Deskjet 5940 as my printer. My second one (bought used) is acting up, and I'm looking for a third. I was wondering if there are any other older printers I should consider? I bought my original 5940 in 2006, and my second one about 4 years ago. Any suggestions?

Buhtwheat

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Zanesville, Ohio
I do graphic design work on it using Macromedia Freehand MX. I need to output to PDF/vector art and JPEG files, and Freehand still does that. Sometimes I like to print hard copies for myself, as well as print various forms and labels.

I've been on eBay. That's where the one I have now came from. I'm waiting to hear back from a seller. I was just wondering if there were any other printers that might be worth searching out, instead of getting another 5940.

mmphosis

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2017
I print to a cheap Samsung laser printer using a Mac Mini G4 with Mac OS X 10.5 and the crappola Samsung fax/printer/(TWAIN) scanner drivers. The Mac Mini G4 and my very old iPhone can always print! Other so-called "modern" machines are not so predictable at printing.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use a Mac Mini G4 for my work. I have been using an H/P Deskjet 5940 as my printer. My second one (bought used) is acting up, and I'm looking for a third. I was wondering if there are any other older printers I should consider? I bought my original 5940 in 2006, and my second one about 4 years ago. Any suggestions?
I'd recommend the Samsung Xpress C430W (Color) or M2020 (B&W) series of printers. Inexpensive laser printers. When I first got both, my primary Mac was my G5 Quad running Leopard. Support states that there are only drivers for 10.6, but if you know where to put printer drivers in 10.4/10.5 then you can put those drivers there and they should work.

Both printers have Google Print, AirPrint and are network capable (Ethernet and WiFi).

Reactions: za9ra22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.