Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skrrt1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Okay, basically i have the option to choose one of theese two computers, and im gonna listen to you guys. Please tell me what u think down below. I really want the computer to last around the 3 years, and i need it for my studies, listening to music, maybe editing a little bit and generally surfing the web. I need some replies as fast as possible. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012 Retina
2,3 GHz
Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
256 GB Drive

OR

MacBook Pro 13", Mid 2014 Retina
2,6 GHz
Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
Intel Iris Graphics
128 GB SSD DRIVE

What do you think?

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Display is of the same quality on both.
15" has noticeably more computational power.
15" has dGPU which will compensate its iGPU being weaker than 13".
You won't likely notice 8GB vs 16GB.
128GB might be a constraint.

So if 15" weight and size is OK for you I'd choose 15".

But check battery status using CoconutBattery and how much has been written on SSD using some SMART utility.
Is the SSD original Apple one or installed manually? If second - which one?

Reactions: darksithpro

skrrt1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Display is of the same quality on both.
15" has noticeably more computational power.
15" has dGPU which will compensate its iGPU being weaker than 13".
You won't likely notice 8GB vs 16GB.
128GB might be a constraint.

So if 15" weight and size is OK for you I'd choose 15".

But check battery status using CoconutBattery and how much has been written on SSD using some SMART utility.
Is the SSD original Apple one or installed manually? If second - which one?

Yea okay, thing is just that the 15" is from 2012.. Will it have a big difference? I really want it to last a couple of years.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Include what your purchase price would be for both machines. Since your getting used machines I imagine that cost is a factor in your purchase.

skrrt1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Include what your purchase price would be for both machines. Since your getting used machines I imagine that cost is a factor in your purchase.
Both of the computers is priced at 575$. If anyone is wondering, yes they're both second hand, and does not seem to have any problems or damages at all.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Yea okay, thing is just that the 15" is from 2012.. Will it have a big difference? I really want it to last a couple of years.
Mid-2014 is 3 years old which is not a short period as well.
If they lived this is long they will likely not break of old age in the nearest future. But no guarantees of course.
On the other hand such old machines are easier to repair. New ones are soldering more and more components.

skrrt1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Mid-2014 is 3 years old which is not a short period as well.
If they lived this is long they will likely not break of old age in the nearest future. But no guarantees of course.
Also true.. Thanks for your reply though!

Billy Underhill

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
15" without even thinking about it. The i7 and 16gb RAM make a HUGE difference in speed, and the extra storage is a bonus.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
What is the asked price? Frankly, I'd not take either. Too risky investment.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Okay, basically i have the option to choose one of theese two computers, and im gonna listen to you guys. Please tell me what u think down below. I really want the computer to last around the 3 years, and i need it for my studies, listening to music, maybe editing a little bit and generally surfing the web. I need some replies as fast as possible. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", Mid 2012 Retina
2,3 GHz
Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
256 GB Drive

OR

MacBook Pro 13", Mid 2014 Retina
2,6 GHz
Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
Intel Iris Graphics
128 GB SSD DRIVE

What do you think?

I notice the first one, the 15 inch looks superior in terms of performance and double the hard drive space and memory. Also the 13 incher, if I'm not mistaken it's dual core, low power Intel 15 watt? meaning the 15 inch MacBook will have a lot more cpu power since it's a true quad core. Unless you need a small laptop the logical winner is the newer and larger laptop.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
Do you have a preference in regards to the size? The 15" is a lot more powerful so if you don't mind the extra weight and footprint the 15" is the better choice in terms of longevity.

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
I think both of them will do fine. If you need to carry it around a lot, I suggest you go for the 13". You might want to add some extra storage (e.g. with one of those small USB-sticks). For you needs, I'm not sure if you will profit that much from an i7 and I expect the 8GB RAM to be just fine.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I'd get the 13 inch only because it's newer and Apple will likely support it longer both software and hardware wise.

skrrt1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
I'd opt for the 2014 model, because you're not dealing with a 5 year old battery.
Both batteries on the computers is brand new. The 2012 model has a battery cycle of like 100. Not sure about the 2014 model, but i know its not used that much.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Both batteries on the computers is brand new. The 2012 model has a battery cycle of like 100. Not sure about the 2014 model, but i know its not used that much.
Brand new as in "replaced recently" or brand new as in "rarely used but old"? Battery not used for 5 years will still lose capacity.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
I would then seriously consider the 2012 model, because of more cores, more ram, more storage, and the fact it has a discrete gpu

skrrt1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Brand new as in "replaced recently" or brand new as in "rarely used but old"? Battery not used for 5 years will still lose capacity.
Im pretty sure its replaced recently.

I would then seriously consider the 2012 model, because of more cores, more ram, more storage, and the fact it has a discrete gpu
Yes, okay. Thanks alot. But its just the fact that its 5 years old, that is giving me some thoughts.. i also want it to live a couple years more, but i think im going for it.

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
Daughter has the 2014 13" and loves it. Had the 15" 2010 MBP during college which was not nearly as portable. Your usage doesn't indicate a need for a lot of horsepower or memory and the 128 GB ssd should make it quite snappy IMO.

MilKat10

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I would probably go for the 2012 MBP but in my view there are 2 deciding factors:
1) portability: do you need to transport the machine quite often and use in narrow public space (such as airplane, classroom or such) then a 13 inch (2014 MBP) is better suited
2) Apple tends to sacrifice support for MacOS programs on older models (planned obsolescence) for the sake of performance (I recently upgraded from a mid-2010 MBP to 2016 tbMBP because of this). On the basis of this the 2012 MBP might give you about 3 years of use max. before Apple makes it obsolete through forces updates to the OS.

Hope that helps somehow in your decision making

/MilK

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I could be wrong, but in what I have read, the i7 doesn't really do much in what would be your typical use case.

From what I understand, the power of the i7 doesn't really ramp up or show significant increase over the i5 until you're taxing the CPU, which you won't be doing. As such, the i5 will be just as speedy. Unless you are running photoshop, illustrator, and video editing like fcp, you won't see the speed difference.

Personally I'd take the newer machine. That 15" is long in the tooth. Even if it is an i7. For school, the 13" would be perfect, and it's newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.