Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Here are some real-world benchmarks from Geekbench for you.

the 2012 i7 15" (2.3ghz) is around 3334 for single core and 10680 in multi-core

the 2014 13" (2.6ghz) is around 3608 for single core and 7023 for multi-core.

So again, it depends on your usage. If you're "need[ing] it for [your] studies, listening to music, maybe editing a little bit and generally surfing the web." then the i5 will be faster. Pages, Safari, Chrome, etc aren't going to be taxing your CPU enough to warrant a quad core i7. IF you plan on exporting a lot video then by all means go with the i7.

Don't pay attention to one line answers with nothing to add "15" hands down", "13" all the way.", look at the research that I and others have provided you. I'm fairly certain that someone else pointed out that Apple will soon be deprecating that 2012 MacBook Pro, as this year the 2011's were added to the list...

I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro 2.6/16/256/i7, and I'll be the first one to tell you that it's overkill for what I use it for, and I'm a web/graphic designer. And, as a student carrying books, don't forget about the added weight and bulk of that 15". It's 5.6 pounds versus 3.4 pounds for the 13". That's a huge difference in your bag with all of the texts and whatever else you're already carrying.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
When dealing with older equipment, aside from potential age related hardware issues, I'd consider support of the OS very heavily.

New versions of MacOS will abandon support of the 2012 model earlier than the 2014 model.

Both will naturally be unable to run newer OS X versions earlier than the 2016 models.

So, I'd consider that if you want to extend the machine's useful life.

The longer it can run newer software titles, the longer it will remain useful.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
For your use the size and portability, better battery life of the 13 inch would be a better buy. Nothing you state requires a dgpu or a quad core processor or 16gb ram. As a student I expect you to need portability and battery life far more than performance in multithreaded apps. I use a 2013 rMBP as my daily machine its still brilliant for anything I want to do.

I notice the first one, the 15 inch looks superior in terms of performance and double the hard drive space and memory. Also the 13 incher, if I'm not mistaken it's dual core, low power Intel 15 watt? meaning the 15 inch MacBook will have a lot more cpu power since it's a true quad core. Unless you need a small laptop the logical winner is the newer and larger laptop.

No the 13 inch pros all used the better 28w cpus with IRIS graphics until the 2016 release when the base model without touchbar moved to the 15W variants (its basically a retina MacBook air to be honest)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.