Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Whether it’s for connecting the dongle to use my headphones or the charger, I plug-unplug my iPhone 12 Pro Max about 4 times a day

should I worry about damaging the port? Like it getting lose over time or something of that sort?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Whether it’s for connecting the dongle to use my headphones or the charger, I plug-unplug my iPhone 12 Pro Max about 4 times a day

should I worry about damaging the port? Like it getting lose over time or something of that sort?
Nothing to worry about, apple state that your lighting port can be used a 1000 times before it wears out.

Reactions: jordysak

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Nothing to worry about, apple state that your lighting port can be used a 1000 times before it wears out.
That’s actually scary. 1000 times would mean 2.7 years if charged once a day , that’s if plugged once a day.
If I plug 4 times a day, 2.7/4 is 0.69 years which means that I should expect my port to wear out in less than a year? 😂

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I would say that 1000 uses is an under estimate. I've owned iPhones for years, then passed them on to family members who use them for years, and have never had a port fail.

The bottom line is, your phone, including the port, is meant to be used. Just use it and don't worry it. I get that iPhones are expensive, but it's weird how much some people worry about babying them. You probably don't worry that, for example, your car's steering wheel will wear out because you make too many turns.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I would be cautious. Both my last two iPhones had the port break over time. If I had no wireless headphones and wireless charger by now this would be going to service again.

And while it’s technically probably possible to swap just the port Apple will charge you their usual substantial fee.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Why not a Qi charger? I hardly ever plug my iPhone into anything unless you are referring to a car charger and you can get Qi for them too. I use Bluetooth for just about everything else except syncing to my MBP.
This really, if you are fussing about damaging the port on your phone there are options out there to either not use the port at all or you can get these where the bit in the port stays in the whole time and the cable attaches magnetically to it.

For what its worth I kept my both my iPhone 5 and 6s for 3 years, possibly just over and the only issue i had with the ports was because of pocket fluff etc getting compacted in there and an occasional clean out sorted the issues. In fact the battery on my 6S was so bad towards the end it was on and off a charger of some sort all day and always charged...it was just that the battery wasnt holding much!!

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I would be cautious. Both my last two iPhones had the port break over time. If I had no wireless headphones and wireless charger by now this would be going to service again.

And while it’s technically probably possible to swap just the port Apple will charge you their usual substantial fee.
May I ask how many times were you plugging in your iPhones?

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I would say that 1000 uses is an under estimate. I've owned iPhones for years, then passed them on to family members who use them for years, and have never had a port fail.

The bottom line is, your phone, including the port, is meant to be used. Just use it and don't worry it. I get that iPhones are expensive, but it's weird how much some people worry about babying them. You probably don't worry that, for example, your car's steering wheel will wear out because you make too many turns.
I understand your point and I agree with you, but it’s so hard to not worry about it when I plug in my iPhone 4x the amount I should be doing
I wouldn’t want to damage the port, the iPhone is about a month old

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Why not a Qi charger? I hardly ever plug my iPhone into anything unless you are referring to a car charger and you can get Qi for them too. I use Bluetooth for just about everything else except syncing to my MBP.
But based on your previous experience with iPhones , how many times a day would you charge and how many years did you use the iPhone?

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
I would look into wireless charging but only recently I found out that the official MagSafe charger requires an external wall adapter to charger too

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
should I worry about damaging the port

Absolutely.
The Lightning port only has a finite number of plug insertions it's capable of before it wears out. I have a 5 year old iPhone 6+ I've used every day and top off at least 3 times a day (every day for 5 years) and its lightning port is busted. It busted over a year ago. There's spring tabs on each side of the port that hold the plug in place. Eventually one or two of them will wear out or break and the port will no longer hold the plug- it'll be loose and the plug can't make a secure connection - and won't charge.
The only way I can charge this phone now is to wrap a rubber band around the cord plug when it's plugged in, then up and over the phone and back down to a corner to strap it in place with tension.

On average I plugged in my phone 3 times a day for 5 years, that's 5500 insertions. The port broke after 4 years, so it was only good for approximately 4400 insertions before it went belly up.

It's a balancing act between charging your phone frequently throughout the day to minimize depth of discharge to prolong battery life span VS charge plug insertions. It does little good to have an original battery still in good health after 4 years but to have a busted charge port to show for it.

Replacing a battery costs $49-$79.
Replacing a charge port costs $349

Reactions: dk001

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
May I ask how many times were you plugging in your iPhones?

Really hard to say, I guess back then I used the port 5-10 times a day. Different chargers at different locations and different headphones and car adapters too.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I still use a iPhone 6S+ since it was new in 2015. I have probably plugged in a lightning cable once a day since. Zero issues related to the lightning port on the phone. Can’t say the same fir the lightning cables though, gone through plenty of them.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I would look into wireless charging but only recently I found out that the official MagSafe charger requires an external wall adapter to charger too
It works with any USB-C outlet. The only issue is that it loads <15W. Which on the other side is better for the battery

regarding the port i never damaged a port in 12 years. Of course with different phones.
The 1000 time number above is not from apple. I guess he thought of charging cycles

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Do you have a source for that? Seems really low! Anyway, if 1000 was the limit my 8 is exceeding expectations! Carplay is what is really running up the count for me, I might make 5-10 stops a day for work each one requiring a plug in. I understand it will die eventually but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edit: Sorry, missed your response in post 19

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Do you have a source for that? Seems really low! Anyway, if 1000 was the limit my 8 is exceeding expectations! Carplay is what is really running up the count for me, I might make 5-10 stops a day for work each one requiring a plug in. I understand it will die eventually but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Read it somewhere a while ago, must be a load of crap.

Reactions: icanhazmac

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Used my iPhone 6 for six years, plugging in for average 2 times a day. No problems.
The lightning cable head eventually cracked on the fifth year (although still working), but the port is still good.
Even my very old iPad 3 port (non lightning) is still working, while my Galaxy Nexus micro USB port had to be serviced on the fifth year.

So Any port is durable enough depends on your usage habit I think.
Just make sure it lines up perfectly before pushing it in.

• Haha
Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.