Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I've never had a lightning port fail and I would often plug headphones in multiple times per day via lighnting, I think it's the best designed port (from an ergonomics and durability standpoint) in any phone today (USB-C ports loosen up way quicker than lightning), the first thing that always fails for me is the cable fraying.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have an old iPhone 5 first with the lightning port. After 8 years of abuse, only recently I have noticed problems with being able to charge. I have to have the lightning cable in a certain way to charge. I expect the modern phones to be even better.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I understand your point and I agree with you, but it’s so hard to not worry about it when I plug in my iPhone 4x the amount I should be doing
I wouldn’t want to damage the port, the iPhone is about a month old
There is no amount that you "should be doing". Use your phone how you need to and enjoy.

Also, as a side note, sometimes people think their port has worn out but all it needs is a simple cleaning. After a few years I actually did think that my phone's port had worn because it was loose. Turns out all I had to do was take a tooth pick and pick out 3 years worth of lint! Even though it was 3 years old, it felt brand new after that!

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
i have OCD so im really careful at using my phone,but over the time i realise its better if i use Wireless charging instead.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Sometime's I wonder if an official Apple lightning cable would have better tolerances due to being OEM to lessen the wear and tear of the lightning port. I know for a fact 3rd party lightning ports are built different, especially the little grooves on the sides--no matter how popular the 3rd party brand is.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Sometime's I wonder if an official Apple lightning cable would have better tolerances due to being OEM to lessen the wear and tear of the lightning port. I know for a fact 3rd party lightning ports are built different, especially the little grooves on the sides--no matter how popular the 3rd party brand is.
its not totally about the cable actually.its actually the port on the iPhone...look into the port and you can see the connectors.thus using a bad cable might damage the connectors.

thermal

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
The lightning port in my 6s failed a year ago, where I had to jiggled the cord to charge the phone. Finally wouldn't charge at all, regardless of which cord I used (had several). So the lightning port lasted about 4 years.

jts1207

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
I worry about this a lot too. I mainly made the switch from Samsung because every one I had the charging port wore out after a year and a half. I’m concerned because the port on my 12 PM seems real tight and would wear easily

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.