Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doitdada

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Adobe Premiere Pro CC got an July upgrade this year before the new MacBook Pros got released:
Hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVC decoding is now supported on MacBook Pro and iMac Pro machines with Mac OS 10.13.

Windows also got covered:
Hardware acceleration is now available on Windows 10 with 7th Generation (or later) Intel® Core™ processors and Intel Graphics enabled.

Final Cut Pro X got updated late July.

I would at least wait until some optimization and updates arrive before hacking down the new hardware.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Can you point me to a laptop that can run the CPU in full load and throttle, that also is quiet when doing so?

2015_04_13_12_37_58.jpg

Reactions: DeanPSN

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The "silent computing" thing goes back to the first days of the Mac-and computers made in 1984 that cooked their analog boards to death because Steve Jobs was stubborn about them not having a fan. I managed to get my hands on one of the most original, untouched, un-upgraded "Macintoshes" I've ever seen from April 1984(they started shipping Feb. '84) and someone who knows these inside and out said despite it being basically untouched the analog board was 2 years newer than the rest. The problem was big enough that you had products like the Kensington "System Saver"-a fan(with a handy built in power strip) that "snaps" on to the top of the case and forces air through the convection vents.

The same thing repeated itself with the Cube, which ran so hot that it could never get past 500mhz and a Geforce 2MX(with a gigantic, non-standard heatsink) from the factory. The case has a fan bracket in it, and I've put a base fan in every Cube I've owned-of course it's essential if you fit a CPU or GPU upgrade(you really even need one if you put in a 2MX with a "standard" heatsink).

And, again, we've seen it in the trash can Mac Pro. Even though it has a fan(my Mac Pro 5,1 has 5 or so not counting the ones on the GPU, and G5s had 9), Apple admitted that they'd designed themselves into a "thermal corner" with the highest spec systems. Mac Pro 4,1s/5,1s can be built to exceed the performance of the 6,1(trash can) because of this-mine exceeds both the CPU single and multi-core performance of the 6,1, and if I wanted to give up running Snow Leopard I could get miles ahead of the GPU performance.

Unfortunately, having a laptop as thin as the current ones imposes its own thermal limits, and fans that move enough air are going to be loud.

This is probably a REALLY unpopular opinion and I'll probably get laughed out of here for it, but I'd love to see the pre-Retina Unibody case design come back. An i9 with NVMe PCIe storage and DDR4(socketed if you're feeling generous, Apple) would be incredible, especially if we could get an anti-glare retina screen. Even though that's a "big" computer by current Apple standards, it's still smaller/thinner than many PC laptops. The case is roomy enough that to move a lot more air than the current models and probably be no louder(if not quieter) while doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jethro! and DeanPSN

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The "silent computing" thing goes back to the first days of the Mac-and computers made in 1984 that cooked their analog boards to death because Steve Jobs was stubborn about them not having a fan. I managed to get my hands on one of the most original, untouched, un-upgraded "Macintoshes" from April 1984(they started shipping Feb. '84) and someone who knows these inside and out said despite it being basically untouched the analog board was 2 years newer than the rest. The problem was big enough that you had products like the Kensington "System Saver"-a fan(with a handy built in power strip) that "snaps" on to the top of the case and forces air through the convection vents.

The same thing repeated itself with the Cube, which ran so hot that it could never get past 500mhz and a Geforce 2MX(with a gigantic, non-standard heatsink) from the factory. The case has a fan bracket in it, and I've put a base fan in every Cube I've owned-of course it's essential if you fit a CPU or GPU upgrade(you really even need one if you put in a 2MX with a "standard" heatsink).
As you said, the Cube actually has a built-in 80 mm fan mount already. IOW, the Cube was built with the fan in mind, and it would have been easy for Apple to go past 500 MHz with a fan. As you said, the fan was necessary for CPU upgrades, but it would take no redesign to do it. I ran a Sonnet 1.7 GHz G4 and GeForce 6200 for a long time. In fact, I believe the GeForce 6200 was cooler running than the GeForce2 MX. The problem with the Cube wasn't the lack of the fan, but the fact that it offered none of the expandability of the Power Mac tower.

If the Cube had sold better, Apple would simply have added a low rpm fan later to do CPU and GPU upgrades.

doitdada

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Computer hardware has never been about fashion. It may look sleek, but in most cases it has never been about stating. Enthusiasts have in some ways embraced RGB leds and extreme cooling, but I seldom see this group doing anything else than posting benchmarks and pimped towers on forums.

Also, the Mac has never been about overclocking or RGB. It’s like the B&O of computers. Where touch, feel and convenience trumps pure power. I read earlier in the thread about road warriors and digital nomads, but they are not a big enough breed to cater. They are a rare species. Since travelling takes up a lot of time in transport, rendering on a plane, bus or train shouldn’t hit those guys hard.

The i9 has some impressive benchmarks when using specific codecs, and sometimes the type of benchmarks YouTubers hunt are the kinds of benchmarks where the CPU is simply using pure IPC rather than optimised software, codecs and CPU/GPU instructions. Most leaps in CPU and GPU have been in codecs and instructions. Raw power is seldom a good idea executed.

People who complain about the Mac being a poor choice as a gaming platform should also check out PS4 or Xbox. As both brands offer bang for the buck and doesn’t require the user to do anything else than to buy a matching TV. You can also join the PC master race on reddit.

In the end I prefer portability in a laptop, and the best laptop within that scope is the MacBook 12. It is the first laptop I haven’t thought about carrying back and forth. Using it on the lap is simply sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.