Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Putting aside the fact that I can see how the newer MacBook keyboards would be more prone to hardware issues and failures, I'm surprised by how quickly I adapted to the shorter key travel and how much I enjoy typing on them. The key travel doesn't feel vastly different to me from my Magic Keyboard 2, and I think my typing is actually quicker and more accurate on the MacBook.

If you're like me and avoided the new keyboards based on bad reviews and your own assumptions, I recommend spending a little time typing on one to see what you think. The Touch Bar is pretty cool, too.

I can certainly see trapped dust and debris being an issue, but I always order these uppercase keyboard covers and this model certainly won't be the exception to that rule.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of justified anger and frustration out there about these keyboards, so I just wanted to chime in with a bit of positive feedback.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Good to read positive opinions, and every Mac user really needs Apple to score with their computer line or we're on a dead end road. Shame you see a keyboard cover as necessary, although I note the large number of favourable reviews.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
After trying the keyboard in store I’m sure I’d be fine with how it feels.

I simply cannot accept that a long-standing reliable piece of hardware has become a seemingly common failure point. Voting with my wallet and avoiding until this gets completely sorted. If they need to make it thicker to accommodate maybe we can get MagSafe back too.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Good to hear..
Shame about reliability however..

Definite deal breaker for me, irrespective of typing feel.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I like it also. It's very stable and accurate and makes me type faster. On the other hand the Magic Keyboard 2 feels weird, the Original Magic Keyboard even worse.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i have that cover, it came with the hardshell case ofcourse, that cover does make the typing a tad better since it makes it feel like it's giving the key a bit more travel. however i still don't enjoy it and only put up with it when i can't be bother to plug in my external keyboard.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
I know problems have been reported here, but are we certain that some of the reliability issues with the keyboard haven't been addressed with the 2018 models?

Shame you see a keyboard cover as necessary, although I note the large number of favourable reviews.

Not really a shame.. I just like to keep the keyboard clean :) The cover can be easily cleaned and swapped out if necessary, and they provide some protection from liquid spills. I had one on my previous mid-2015 MacBook Pro as well.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I know problems have been reported here, but are we certain that some of the reliability issues with the keyboard haven't been addressed with the 2018 models?

Not really a shame.. I just like to keep the keyboard clean :) The cover can be easily cleaned and swapped out if necessary, and they provide some protection from liquid spills. I had one on my previous mid-2015 MacBook Pro as well.
not really, they basically put a rubber condom on the situation, it still prone to heat failure and stuck keys not due to dust. with the 2018 u also have the t2 reliability issue.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
not really, they basically put a rubber condom on the situation, it still prone to heat failure and stuck keys not due to dust. with the 2018 u also have the t2 reliability issue.

Typing on my Mac is a very satisfying experience. I feel relaxed. Good thing that the 2018 version has a condom. I always think about...

Oh wait. Sorry.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014

Yeah, I will likely get AppleCare+ for this MacBook, but the only hardware issue I've had with any of the Apple devices I've owned (so far) was a bright spot on a previous iPad Pro screen, and they replaced the iPad, so I'll take my chances.

According to your signature, your 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard is still doing ok. *thumbs up*

Reactions: ilikewhey

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Yeah, I will likely get AppleCare+ for this MacBook, but the only hardware issue I've had with any of the Apple devices I've owned (so far) was a bright spot on a previous iPad Pro screen, and they replaced the iPad, so I'll take my chances.

According to your signature, your 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard is still doing ok. *thumbs up*
ha yeah its holding up despite me having ac+ and that 4 year placement program apple have, the key to long lasting keyboard on mbp is put a cover on it, and use external keyboard as often as possible.

Reactions: CE3

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
I think many of us are more critical of the typing experience due to the reliability issues clouding the experience. It's prevented me from giving the butterfly more than short tests, and I certainly will not buy a machine with it in order to find out if I like it after longer term exposure to it.

In my opinion Apple has not sufficiently addressed the problems with the design. They do not yet have a proven long term fix and they don't have a replacement program that is adequate. Laptops are lasting longer now at any point in the past. The 4 year replacement program effectively means that many people will be forced to upgrade to a new machine sooner than they would have otherwise, or face a potential repair that approaches the value of the used machine at that time. That is unacceptable to me as a potential buyer, as I like to keep my laptops 5 or 6 years. It also means that I may have to accept days of down time and inconvenience due to a poorly executed design decision.

I do like to hear people talking about a good Apple experience. I love Apple products and wish Apple the best in growing MacOS usage. But it's a sad reflection on Apple to have issues like this.

angryminer

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Putting aside the fact that I can see how the newer MacBook keyboards would be more prone to hardware issues and failures, I'm surprised by how quickly I adapted to the shorter key travel and how much I enjoy typing on them. The key travel doesn't feel vastly different to me from my Magic Keyboard 2, and I think my typing is actually quicker and more accurate on the MacBook.

If you're like me and avoided the new keyboards based on bad reviews and your own assumptions, I recommend spending a little time typing on one to see what you think. The Touch Bar is pretty cool, too.

I can certainly see trapped dust and debris being an issue, but I always order these uppercase keyboard covers and this model certainly won't be the exception to that rule.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of justified anger and frustration out there about these keyboards, so I just wanted to chime in with a bit of positive feedback.

I had a 2016 model and experienced exactly zero reliability issues as far as the keyboard goes. The typing experience was so atrocious and error-prone that I ultimately had to sell it after several months. There was no getting used to that thing and I have a hard time believing anyone actually enjoys it, to be honest.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
I had a 2016 model and experienced exactly zero reliability issues as far as the keyboard goes. The typing experience was so atrocious and error-prone that I ultimately had to sell it after several months. There was no getting used to that thing and I have a hard time believing anyone actually enjoys it, to be honest.

I can’t comment on the 2016 model, but I legitimately enjoy typing on the 2018 model and got used to it right away. I’m sorry if you find that hard to believe.

Reactions: JTBing

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
The new keyboards are genuinely terrible and I really hope Apple goes back to their older scissor mechanisms/magic keyboard 2 style on the next laptops.

Reactions: Falhófnir

User_E

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
I'm in agreement with you. The possibility of reliability issues is concerning, but other than that, the 3rd-generation butterfly keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever typed on. (I'm the odd one that loves low-travel keyboards and hates longer-travel keyboards like the mechanical keyboards that seem so popular these days. Before this, my favorite keyboard was Apple's wired chiclet keyboard.)

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I also have been enjoying my 2018 13' TB that I got for Christmas. I adjusted rather quickly and really like the typing experience now.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'm in agreement with you. The possibility of reliability issues is concerning, but other than that, the 3rd-generation butterfly keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever typed on. (I'm the odd one that loves low-travel keyboards and hates longer-travel keyboards like the mechanical keyboards that seem so popular these days. Before this, my favorite keyboard was Apple's wired chiclet keyboard.)

Right now I'm using an original magic kb resting on the frame of my laptop that has a keyboard issue... I don't feel like shipping it out for repair when the weather has been in the below-zero to 15º range lately.

I like the little wireless one (whatever its mechanism is) for emergency or casual use with a laptop, and I dread the day its BT quits working and I have to replace it!

Also not looking forward to replacing my mid-2012 laptop itself, the kb of which I have generally liked also. All the kb complaints I hear about the newer ones are rather alarming.

Gonna have to get over fearing the unknown since I realize that's always pretty silly with something like gear. Either I like what I replace something with or I return it or hand it off and go again. Otherwise I'll end up with a 2012 laptop held together with baling wire in 2022.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.