Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Keyboards are super subjective and not everyone will agree on what feels like a good keyboard and what doesn't. I love my Cherry MX Blues on my Das Keyboard that I use as my workhorse and hammer at for long sessions coding and working. My wife hates the MX Blues as she finds them too loud and the travel to be annoying... Keyboards are very personal and I don't see everyone agreeing on what a "good" keyboard feels like. Some people will love the Butterfly and some will hate it...

I think my MBP '18 is OK as far as rubber domes go, but I wouldn't say any rubber dome keyboard is great... I also don't see any laptop maker putting mechanical switches in either...

That being said... I think the keyboard issues are vastly overblown... These topics become a never ending cyclical mess on here...

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
To summarize virtually every keyboard thread:

I hate this keyboard
I love this keyboard
It is unreliable
Mine still works
Mine doesn’t
Apple had a recall, Proving the keyboard is crap.
But Apple fixed it in 20xx
No they didn’t
Yes they did
Mine doesn’t work
Mine does
You are an idiot
You are a moron

Rinse and repeat, ad nauseam

Can’t we just make my response above a single post sticky thread and save everyone the time?

Reactions: donklaus

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

I hate this keyboard
I love this keyboard
It is unreliable
Mine still works
Mine doesn’t
No they didn’t
Yes they did
Mine doesn’t work
Mine does
You are an idiot
You are a moron

Can’t we just make my response above a single post sticky thread and save everyone the time?

Heh, not half bad idea, :) but probably not quite the ticket for some of us.

We might be looking for hints that this or that one might work even better than the one we're struggling to make last (or wondering how to replace if we don't like it).

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014

I hate this keyboard
I love this keyboard
It is unreliable
Mine still works
Mine doesn’t
No they didn’t
Yes they did
Mine doesn’t work
Mine does
You are an idiot
You are a moron

Can't we just not click on threads we have no interest in, instead of coming in to complain about them?

Most of your lines haven't summarized this thread yet. The majority of what I've personally read on Macrumors about the butterfly switch keyboards has been negative, so (like I said in my first post) I started this thread to give some positive feedback.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Right now I'm using an original magic kb resting on the frame of my laptop that has a keyboard issue... I don't feel like shipping it out for repair when the weather has been in the below-zero to 15º range lately.

I like the little wireless one (whatever its mechanism is) for emergency or casual use with a laptop, and I dread the day its BT quits working and I have to replace it!

Also not looking forward to replacing my mid-2012 laptop itself, the kb of which I have generally liked also. All the kb complaints I hear about the newer ones are rather alarming.

Gonna have to get over fearing the unknown since I realize that's always pretty silly with something like gear. Either I like what I replace something with or I return it or hand it off and go again. Otherwise I'll end up with a 2012 laptop held together with baling wire in 2022.

This is exactly why I refuse to buy a Mac until Apple gets it act together. Sorry I need my systems to work as a function of revenue, nor am I in any shape or from going to pay $4,250 plus local taxes to be using a BT keyboard due to the internal failing with an alleged professional product.

Guy's want to use a Mac, they can buy their own, equally not overly interested if it fails and needs to be sent off. I'll give em 24 hours grace with the client, exactly the same as I would do with a W10 notebook.

Q-6

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
This is exactly why I refuse to buy a Mac until Apple gets it act together. Sorry I need my systems to work as a function of revenue, nor am I in any shape or from going to pay $4,250 plus local taxes to be using a BT keyboard due to the internal failing with an alleged professional product.

Guy's want to use a Mac, they can buy their own, equally not overly interested if it fails and needs to be sent off. I'll give em 24 hours grace with the client, exactly the same as I would do with a W10 notebook.

Q-6

I hasten to say that my own MBP's keyboard issue is not one that I'd call Apple's fault. For some reason when a keycap was dislodged accidentally, it not only flew off the machine, which in itself is no big deal since it can be put back on, but somehow the underlying points of reassembly were simultaneously damaged, and... some of the adjacent keys in the same row then immediately failed to function at all. So after an hour or so of struggling along using the keyboard viewer (ugh!), I unearthed the magic kb and now I'm just waiting for Spring so I can ship the thing for repair without possibly incurring frostbite sorts of damage...

I am not quite sure how the incident that dislodged the keycap to begin with even occurred, since at the time I was talking on a (wired) phone with back to the laptop and trying to reset my modem-router. The cord of the phone became entangled with a couple of objects that while not particularly heavy, apparently included something (or further entangled something) that managed to exert a prybar sort of effect on a keycap in being tumbled onto the open laptop. Needless to say resetting my modem-router became a low priority at that moment.

It was one of those "too bad there's no videotape, it was hilarious" moments, I suppose.

Naturally I was grateful no liquid damage was involved, things were bad enough as they were, but I rather think the repair cost will come out of my own pocket anyway even though the machine is still under AppleCare until later this summer. It was fairly comic (in retrospect), all things duly considered, :rolleyes: and I hope I can remember that when I shove plastic across cyberspace to pay for the repairs.

That particular mid-2012 MBP is one of my all time favorite laptop models, including for its keyboard... and I got this copy in 2016 as an Apple refurb with AppleCare, knowing I wanted to have a reliable machine for awhile yet while I sort out future needs.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I hasten to say that my own MBP's keyboard issue is not one that I'd call Apple's fault. For some reason when a keycap was dislodged accidentally, it not only flew off the machine, which in itself is no big deal since it can be put back on, but somehow the underlying points of reassembly were simultaneously damaged, and... some of the adjacent keys in the same row then immediately failed to function at all. So after an hour or so of struggling along using the keyboard viewer (ugh!), I unearthed the magic kb and now I'm just waiting for Spring so I can ship the thing for repair without possibly incurring frostbite sorts of damage...

I am not quite sure how the incident that dislodged the keycap to begin with even occurred, since at the time I was talking on a (wired) phone with back to the laptop and trying to reset my modem-router. The cord of the phone became entangled with a couple of objects that while not particularly heavy, apparently included something (or further entangled something) that managed to exert a prybar sort of effect on a keycap in being tumbled onto the open laptop. Needless to say resetting my modem-router became a low priority at that moment.

It was one of those "too bad there's no videotape, it was hilarious" moments, I suppose.

Naturally I was grateful no liquid damage was involved, things were bad enough as they were, but I rather think the repair cost will come out of my own pocket anyway even though the machine is still under AppleCare until later this summer. It was fairly comic (in retrospect), all things duly considered, :rolleyes: and I hope I can remember that when I shove plastic across cyberspace to pay for the repairs.

That particular mid-2012 MBP is one of my all time favorite laptop models, including for its keyboard... and I got this copy in 2016 as an Apple refurb with AppleCare, knowing I wanted to have a reliable machine for awhile yet while I sort out future needs.

I'll be straight; keyboards simply shouldn't fail unless the user intervenes or the hardware is well and truly in need of replacement. Apple has blatantly ignored the issues related to the Butterfly KB, equally I will ignore Apple both privately & professionally. It's simply not acceptable, right now very much Apple's loss.

Q-6

Reactions: turbineseaplane

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'll be straight; keyboards simply shouldn't fail unless the user intervenes or the hardware is well and truly in need of replacement. Apple has blatantly ignored the issues related to the Butterfly KB, equally I will ignore Apple both privately & professionally. It's simply not acceptable, right now very much Apple's loss.

Q-6

It's true that for me the widely publicized concerns people have over the butterfly kb and failiures of assorted keyboards in newer laptop models are in fact part of why I am dragging heels on replacing a yet older laptop (2009 MacBook that's been upgraded re RAM and drive).

EDIT: I confess that a couple days ago I actually hovered for a few seconds over a link in some tech piece that said something about some Dell laptop having almost completely erased some Mac user's anti-Windoze bias.. and gave a link to that Dell in some vendor's site... so something's up with my internal attitude about sticking with Apple no matter what.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It's true that for me the widely publicized concerns people have over the butterfly kb and failiures of assorted keyboards in newer laptop models are in fact part of why I am dragging heels on replacing a yet older laptop (2009 MacBook that's been upgraded re RAM and drive).

EDIT: I confess that a couple days ago I actually hovered for a few seconds over a link in some tech piece that said something about some Dell laptop having almost completely erased some Mac user's anti-Windoze bias.. and gave a link to that Dell in some vendor's site... so something's up with my internal attitude about sticking with Apple no matter what.

No choice, as my hardware is work related and I had already held on to my Mac's too long in the vain hope Apple would do something meaningful. Unfortunately Apple is now just a phone and accessories company that's rather disinterested in it's computing line :(

Q-6

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I personally find the typing experience on the butterfly v3 (2018) to be fairly good. It requires a little time to get used to and I'm not fond of the shallow key travel, but the tactile feel of the clicks is precise and satisfying (although, as far as laptop keyboards go, ThinkPad's are vastly superior). Reliability, alas, is still a strong concern.

That said, it doesn't hold a candle to a good quality mechanical keyboard. I use the computer away from the desk 50% of the time, but when I'm docked I'll use a WASD v2 and the feeling is just something else.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Q-6

No hardware should fail, but that's why we have warranties...

Even DasKeyboard has a warranty (and extended warranties as well) and they sell expensive mechanical keyboards rated for millions of keystrokes.

Reactions: Queen6

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Putting aside the fact that I can see how the newer MacBook keyboards would be more prone to hardware issues and failures, I'm surprised by how quickly I adapted to the shorter key travel and how much I enjoy typing on them. The key travel doesn't feel vastly different to me from my Magic Keyboard 2, and I think my typing is actually quicker and more accurate on the MacBook.

If you're like me and avoided the new keyboards based on bad reviews and your own assumptions, I recommend spending a little time typing on one to see what you think. The Touch Bar is pretty cool, too.

I can certainly see trapped dust and debris being an issue, but I always order these uppercase keyboard covers and this model certainly won't be the exception to that rule.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of justified anger and frustration out there about these keyboards, so I just wanted to chime in with a bit of positive feedback.
I was a Windows use before I use Mac's keyboad ^_^ I really like to use Apple devices. Perfectly done :)

Reactions: CE3

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
Putting aside the fact that I can see how the newer MacBook keyboards would be more prone to hardware issues and failures, I'm surprised by how quickly I adapted to the shorter key travel and how much I enjoy typing on them. The key travel doesn't feel vastly different to me from my Magic Keyboard 2, and I think my typing is actually quicker and more accurate on the MacBook.

If you're like me and avoided the new keyboards based on bad reviews and your own assumptions, I recommend spending a little time typing on one to see what you think. The Touch Bar is pretty cool, too.

I can certainly see trapped dust and debris being an issue, but I always order these uppercase keyboard covers and this model certainly won't be the exception to that rule.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of justified anger and frustration out there about these keyboards, so I just wanted to chime in with a bit of positive feedback.

Agree 100%, I wasn’t sure how I’d like the new keyboard, but it’s actually quite pleasant to use.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I had a 2016 model and experienced exactly zero reliability issues as far as the keyboard goes. The typing experience was so atrocious and error-prone that I ultimately had to sell it after several months. There was no getting used to that thing and I have a hard time believing anyone actually enjoys it, to be honest.
yeah, I bought a 13" 2016 MBP when they first came out and it was like typing on concrete. My wrists got sore after five minutes. Refunded it. But the 2018 keyboard feels much better in my opinion. You should give it a try.

Reactions: jerryk

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Love the magic keyboard, hate hate hate the butterfly keyboard. I'm much faster on the old MacBook Pro keyboards and I don't fee like I'm typing on cardboard. Also I don't have to disturb everyone around me on the old keyboard. The new ones sound like you are thumping away on a mini drum set. Horrible reliability and function. Hopefully the new ones this year will be better, especially since they suck at being reliable.

Reactions: SDColorado

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
I’m a relatively recent Mac user (my first was a 21.5" 2011 iMac) and had a 2012 MBP with optional hi-res display, a 2014 retina and now a 2018 base model. I couldn’t resist when I saw the 2018 and I just love it, including the keyboard. It’s an expensive device...and to me it feels like it, i.e. top-notch, I’m "getting what I paid for". Perceived quality is very important to me.

I see (and sometimes use) mid-level Dells, Le Novos & HPs around the office - they get the job done, some last pretty long too, but sorry, they can keep them! In fact, categorically the worst keyboard I ever used was on a 15" HP, literally had to concentrate on how I pushed each key!

I do feel sorry for the people who don’t like the new keyboard though, as a computer, beyond being a tool, is something people are passionate about - especially around here.

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
My God, did I get absolutely skewered on other forums for saying I loved the keyboard too. People just could not understand that I thought for me, the keyboard was objectively better.

I am so glad you love your MacBook Pro. I, like you adore the Touch Bar. It has made me so much quicker at being able to do my work in Keynote, Mail and Trello. I really just wish Slack utilised it, somehow. I don’t think you need to worry much if your MacBook Pro is a 2018 version as there haven’t been many reported failures with the membrane sitting under the key cap. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro and the keyboard failed twice on me but both times Apple fixed it for free.

For me, it’s the second best keyboard only to the Smart Keyboard on the iPad Pro - an even more unpopular opinion lol.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Love my old school MBA keyboard, and my various models of Magic Wireless Keyboards (not yet seriously tested the newest Magic keyboard). Hate the 2016 Macbook Pro keyboard, and also the 'improved' 2017 model. (Yes, slightly improved, still awful).

Quite like the 2018 Macbook Pro keyboard though, and I can see myself using it. Nice to have something to be positive about, as other posters have said.

People here complaining about the butterfly keyboards need to be really clear which model year they're complaining about, several haven't given that info.

EDIT: Mixed up Magic with Wireless.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.