Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think I was trolling?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
Villicodelirant

Mostly 4k RAW editing and grading of the footage while I am out of the office.
I need a workhorse, and MBP simply can't keep up with the growing requirements of the industry...
I am very realistic when it comes to hardware required for my work...
In my studio I have MAC PRO 6 core - which is ok for now, but starts to struggle with 4k sometimes....Personally, I would like to see something new from Apple in this segment, as they haven't updated MAC PRO since 2013.....My second machine in studio is iMac 5k - using it usually for editing and it can keep up with prores 4k, but struggling with RAW....
So.....I need strong laptop....and Macbook Pro can't keep up anymore....

And... a huge, flashy, overpriced gaming laptop is the solution?
Not one of the fifty thousand "mobile workstation" class machines out there (Z-Book, Thinkpad P-Series, Dell Precision)?

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
No, seriously.....
Let's say I have a very weird sense of humor...while writing that post I as a bit frustrated ... while I was away from my office, I got stucked with project I brought to finalize on my Macbook pro 2015......It was almost impossible to grade or to do any serious post on 4k footage I was working with.....
THen I installed Creative Cloud and Resolve and tried to do few final touch ups on my son's Asus Republic of Gamers laptop in Resolve and I was amazed by speed, response and I finished job very quickly......while my Macbook pro was crashing and falling apart.....

What I am trying to say here....I am pissed off with the fact that they are completely leaving PRO market and focusing on mobile and mass consumer market....No innovations, no significant performance impprovement in new mode.....for them it's look that is important....

New MacBook Pro is ridiculously expensive, but the question is - WHY to buy it??? WHat is the major functional upgrade???? That stupid touch panel???? Come on!!!

I am really looking to move away from MAc completely....
I will get something like this for my work out of the office.....
and I will use Macbook pro for emails and spreadsheets......that's where it shines today!

cheers

Problem solved. Use the Asus. Better yet write Asus and ask them to make laptops that look like Macs. Ask them why they cannot met your demands and why they continue to make ugly two inch thick laptops out of plastic.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
Hi!

I am working in video production industry, and I believe many creative people will share my views...

Apple - you are letting us down. We were following you since you were a baby, we believed in you.
The best designs, and the most creative ads were produced on Apple machines...people fell in love with graphics design, web development, video production on Apple Machines...

What happened Apple??
WHY????

Why you are letting us down?
Why focusing on thinner and lighter notebooks???? We want more than 2gb of vram and strong GPUs to run Davinci resolve, we need more memory to run multiple applications, we need more horsepower to work on 4k video......we need 17" 4k screen so we can have powerful mobile workstations for editing and graphics design on the go!

We don't mind if my machine is thick as older Macbooks!!! We need POWER!!!!!!!

Why?

Why you are becoming "uncool", why you are becoming the monster from your 1984 AD??

Just to remind you! Don't let us throw that hammer!!!!!

Come back to creative people, listen to us, give us power and not thin machines with useless fancy updates, give us new desktop MAC for video editing and postproduction, give us latest GPU's in new machines, give us ability to have more memory on Macbook pro, give us 6,8 core i7 CPU, give us POWER!!!!Its about the time!!!!

And we will give you back!

THanks! View attachment 683050
I have worked in tv and film for a while. I have had these discussions with people high up in the industry. There where always systems like Quantel Painbox, Jaleo, Autodesk(Linux), Media100, Avid, Mosaic that filled a need at a time. Some are still around some are long gone.

I think the film industry, especially indies and low budget films where spoiled by Apple and it's offerings for quite a while. Apple has absolutely taken a different route from the modern film, tv and video landscape. Making 500 billion dollars off of iPhones can do that to a company.

But for me who saw Apple products as a great hope and saw their commitment to modern film making all but gone, it's time for us to move on.

An i7 PC with a single GTX 1080 has more horsepower than a quantel machine that cost over 400k 10 years ago. If you want to stay on OS X, their are ways to do it, but this might be your last window anyway. Apple is committed to iOS and phones and mobile gadgets more than desktop computers. Example they will not help make GTX 1080 drivers for OS X.

If your in the industry you know the story and content is king, and it doesn't matter if you made in on Linux, windows, or ChromeOS. The software and hardware are just tools.

Get a i7 PC, with a GTX 1080 and Adobe CC. Make your art. Tell your story. Maybe an iPad Pro or MacBook for writing that story. MacOS and Apples commitment to modern film is all but gone, but that is how the industry works. I can still love watching 2001 a space odyssey, even though every piece of equipment used to make it is in a museum or a landfill.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I have worked in tv and film for a while. I have had these discussions with people high up in the industry. There where always systems like Quantel Painbox, Jaleo, Autodesk(Linux), Media100, Avid, Mosaic that filled a need at a time. Some are still around some are long gone.

I think the film industry, especially indies and low budget films where spoiled by Apple and it's offerings for quite a while. Apple has absolutely taken a different route from the modern film, tv and video landscape. Making 500 billion dollars off of iPhones can do that to a company.

But for me who saw Apple products as a great hope and saw their commitment to modern film making all but gone, it's time for us to move on.

An i7 PC with a single GTX 1080 has more horsepower than a quantel machine that cost over 400k 10 years ago. If you want to stay on OS X, their are ways to do it, but this might be your last window anyway. Apple is committed to iOS and phones and mobile gadgets more than desktop computers. Example they will not help make GTX 1080 drivers for OS X.

If your in the industry you know the story and content is king, and it doesn't matter if you made in on Linux, windows, or ChromeOS. The software and hardware are just tools.

Get a i7 PC, with a GTX 1080 and Adobe CC. Make your art. Tell your story. Maybe an iPad Pro or MacBook for writing that story. MacOS and Apples commitment to modern film is all but gone, but that is how the industry works. I can still love watching 2001 a space odyssey, even though every piece of equipment used to make it is in a museum or a landfill.

I teared up, now that was an emotional post!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Hi!

I am working in video production industry, and I believe many creative people will share my views...

As someone else noted, those official Apple forums are only for peer to peer support.

They have a policy of deleting posts which are about anything else, or which say anything bad against Apple. It's like living in Big Brother 1984. No Badspeak about Apple is allowed ;)

The only time that policy was lifted that I know about, was in 2007 when Apple dropped the first iPhone price by two hundred dollars only a few months after its sales launch. Man, were the first iPhone buyers ticked off!!!

Early adopters, who felt that Apple had taken advantage of their loyalty, started posting angry messages like crazy. The moderators tried to delete all the posts, and removed literally hundreds before they were overwhelmed by the huge tidal wave of anger. I know, I was there. They finally gave up and let everyone vent their feelings without the usual censorship.

People also called and emailed Apple to express their disappointment. By the next day, Jobs had written an apology and was giving the early adopters a hundred dollar Apple store credit. It was an incredible display of the power of upset mass consumers.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It's a support community, not "Apple forum."

You should obviously email Tim, and put Phil in cc.

True..... No one on the forums from Apple reads these. Only Apple users.

I too would email Tim, but you if u'r after replies, u'd get better response on a forum if u tone it down........ I never get replies from Tim cook ever, perhaps only one out of a dozen emails.

Sometimes just re-thinking and re--wording stuff can make all the difference to the same question asked on forums :) and since it's more precise, u'd get responses. Otherwise, i would look at it and agree 'its a rant' Wouldn't be the first time on Apple's forums, happened to me too sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.