Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I sold my launch iPhone X and bought a Galaxy Note 8 instead.

I feel much happier now,Note 8 is awesome, the screen quality is definitely superior to iPhone X.and the phone as a whole product is definitely better value for money and a much more fun device to own and use.
it feels great in hand and more premium than iPhone X.
the design is superior imo with no ugly camera bump at back.

I previously owned every single model of iPhone (with exception of the original and 3G) and also owned a Note 2 and Note 5.

iPhone X was okay but simply nothing special and definitely not worth the price tag.
I have no problem paying 1000+ for a device but it must impress me and be fun to use, iPhone Sadly wasn't.

The only things I'm missing is the convenience of Face ID but instead Note 8 offers many great features that iPhone X didn't have.

In my opinion iPhone X should have been priced similar to any other iPhone upgrade.
and as for iOS reliability vs Android..sadly iOS 11 has so many bugs, and I'll be honest here, while I had many occasions of freezing, hiccup,glitches and even re-starts with iOS 11 on iPhone X during the 2 months I owned it,I had no issues on Note 8 Android so far.

I'm not biased,I might buy an iPhone again later on but for now I have zero regrets selling the iPhone X and buying Note 8 instead.a superior product t without any doubt.

Mac remains the best Apple platform, but for phone I'm done with iPhone for now.:)

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Nice, glad your happy.
Can't say I have had issues with iOS 11.
The Note 8 is a nice phone.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Nothing wrong with the Note 8, it's a fine phone.. It has to look and feel ginormous compared to the X though, no?

How are you dealing with the loss of continuity and handoff between iPhone and MacBook?

Reactions: bopajuice

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I had the X and the Note 8 at the same time a few months ago. The X got returned and I sold the Note 8 and bought an 8 plus, which I'm very happy with.

I returned the X due to a crappy screen. I just hated it. With a price tag of almost $1500 (including AppleCare), I expect better. I actually tried 2 of them, and both were horrible.

The Note 8 was a great phone, but the apps I use most sucked on Android. Its my work phone, and I found that I was actually less productive using it. The loss of iMessage was huge for me. I need to be able to forward individual texts and pics to an email address, and that cant be done with any Android messaging app. And its a HUGE phone, that felt top heavy in my hand. Other than that I had no complaints. I'd still have it if not for those things.

Reactions: GlenK and 5105973

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Congrats, and yes always follow your heart’s desire. I went with the iPhone 8 Plus, the notch is a deal breaker for me, and the fact that for movie watching it’s a much more pleasant experience on the 8 Plus.

I am considering a second phone, and the Note 8 is definitely on the shopping list.

Reactions: 5105973

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
How interesting! Thanks for the post.

How many days have you had the 8 since writing this? Can you make a note on your calendar with your Note 8 to do another review after 2-3-4 months? I'm very curious because I almost got the Note 8 when it came out. I had the Note 3 and it was an amazing phone (left for Apple after Note 3) - so I'm genuinely asking (not being sarcastic).

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 8+. I have a Macbook Air, Apple TV, and Mac Mini so I think if I was to go Android I'd have a hard time leaving but I used to be a HUGE android buff and very pro Google. (HTC MyTouch, Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, Note 3, Nexus 6). I spent a lot of time on DroidForums with Pete's Bugless Beast on Droid 1. Those were some fun days. Now I'm too old to do that - plus the rooting community isn't what it used to be.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The one drawback I’ve found to my Samsung phone and my husband’s is they develop some wicked lag over time. You just need to use the maintenance app to kill apps that start doing stuff in the background even though they shouldn’t. There are other optimization apps some other people swear by. I can’t name them offhand but people talk about them over on Android Central. Oh and my husband did say the apps he needs to use for work are not as good as the iOS versions. That’s about all I can think of that might be a stumbling block for people making the jump you made. I really loved my Note 7 when I had it. I skipped Note 8. I will probably hit the S9 Plus upgrade. I don’t know when I’ll try a Note again. I’m waiting to see what they do with foldable phones and then I’ll decide.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I sold my launch iPhone X and bought a Galaxy Note 8 instead.

I feel much happier now,Note 8 is awesome, the screen quality is definitely superior to iPhone X.and the phone as a whole product is definitely better value for money and a much more fun device to own and use.
it feels great in hand and more premium than iPhone X.
the design is superior imo with no ugly camera bump at back.

I previously owned every single model of iPhone (with exception of the original and 3G) and also owned a Note 2 and Note 5.

iPhone X was okay but simply nothing special and definitely not worth the price tag.
I have no problem paying 1000+ for a device but it must impress me and be fun to use, iPhone Sadly wasn't.

The only things I'm missing is the convenience of Face ID but instead Note 8 offers many great features that iPhone X didn't have.

In my opinion iPhone X should have been priced similar to any other iPhone upgrade.
and as for iOS reliability vs Android..sadly iOS 11 has so many bugs, and I'll be honest here, while I had many occasions of freezing, hiccup,glitches and even re-starts with iOS 11 on iPhone X during the 2 months I owned it,I had no issues on Note 8 Android so far.

I'm not biased,I might buy an iPhone again later on but for now I have zero regrets selling the iPhone X and buying Note 8 instead.a superior product t without any doubt.

Mac remains the best Apple platform, but for phone I'm done with iPhone for now.:)

Hmm, but you never said what was better on one vs the other which is why you switched. Sounds to me you are biased. I owned both too, and the Note 8 was too tall. The X to me is the better device.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Congratz on getting the best smartphone the money can possibly get right now, until S9 I guess:D. Enjoy your phone and that amazing looking screen!

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Happy to hear you found the phone that makes you happy. At the end of the day that’s what matters.... I really like the Samsung Galaxy hardware but can’t stand android and don’t want to give up iMessage. That being said I love the iPhone X and haven’t really had any issues with iOS 11 so I’m good.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Hmm, but you never said what was better on one vs the other which is why you switched. Sounds to me you are biased. I owned both too, and the Note 8 was too tall. The X to me is the better device.

I'm not biased. I would be on the Note 8 if I was more productive with it. Its a great phone. I cant say one was better than the other. They both have pros and cons.

Now if the Note 8 ran iOS, it would be the perfect phone for me.
[doublepost=1518835760][/doublepost]
Can you elaborate on this please as I can forward any txt or picture or gif or location etc etc from the stock msg app to email or numerous other apps on my S8+

I get work orders from customers via text. We will text all day long about about jobs (with some personal stuff mixed in). These texts include pics of the jobs, as well as addresses and customer info. We may text about many jobs throughout the day. At the end of the day, I need to pick and choose both texts and pics within the days conversation to forward to my Evernote email address to create a work order. I need them all to send at the same time or I end up with numerous notes I have to combine to create one work order.

With iMessage this is very easy...long press on a text and then select the individual pics and text I want, and forward them to the Evernote email.

With Android, I never found a way to pick and choose many individual texts and pics within a conversation and forward them to my Evernote email address. I could do one at a time, but I need them all to send at the same time to avoid multiple notes in Evernote.

If you know of a way to do that, I'd sure like to hear it. I tried every messaging app I could find, but none could do what I wanted. I would consider going back to the Note 8 if it is possible.

I also like the continuity iMessage provides. Being able to text from my phone, iPad, MacBook air, or iMac is big for me. Yes there are apps that allow me to do that when using an Android phone, but none are nearly as smooth and easy as having iMessage on all my devices.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm not biased. I would be on the Note 8 if I was more productive with it. Its a great phone. I cant say one was better than the other. They both have pros and cons.

Now if the Note 8 ran iOS, it would be the perfect phone for me.
[doublepost=1518835760][/doublepost]

I get work orders from customers via text. We will text all day long about about jobs (with some personal stuff mixed in). These texts include pics of the jobs, as well as addresses and customer info. We may text about many jobs throughout the day. At the end of the day, I need to pick and choose both texts and pics within the days conversation to forward to my Evernote email address to create a work order. I need them all to send at the same time or I end up with numerous notes I have to combine to create one work order.

With iMessage this is very easy...long press on a text and then select the individual pics and text I want, and forward them to the Evernote email.

With Android, I never found a way to pick and choose many individual texts and pics within a conversation and forward them to my Evernote email address. I could do one at a time, but I need them all to send at the same time to avoid multiple notes in Evernote.

If you know of a way to do that, I'd sure like to hear it. I tried every messaging app I could find, but none could do what I wanted. I would consider going back to the Note 8 if it is possible.

I also like the continuity iMessage provides. Being able to text from my phone, iPad, MacBook air, or iMac is big for me. Yes there are apps that allow me to do that when using an Android phone, but none are nearly as smooth and easy as having iMessage on all my devices.
Many thanks for your explanation I can see your somewhat unique case

Yes in your example you cannot select multiple items in a long conversation thread and send in one go where you would have to say post each item systematically say to Reminder or Evernote and combine as a post process

I am surprised for a few reasons you found this a deal breaker being imessages is so limited internationally, requiring both or multiple parties to have ios else placing a horrid burden of using mms and its limitations on to others.

I have seen in other threads where some users have 100% contacts with Apple devices but never in a business context. Even in the US with high IPhone penetration imessages is still 2 or 3 place for commonality.

Of course to avoid confusion we are not talking about simple sms's :) and in your personal bubble things have to work for you :) but for many others I do not think this would have the same level of importance.

Given other limitations and even the cross platform support now enjoyed by all leaves Apple once niche advantages down to triva differences for many

But what works for you will always be the priority :D

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I'm contemplating getting a Note 8 but I've read rumors of Note 9 coming along in a couple of months. So I'm playing the waiting game.

@ColdShadow Did you consider Note 9? And how much did you pay for your Note 8?

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I'm contemplating getting a Note 8 but I've read rumors of Note 9 coming along in a couple of months. So I'm playing the waiting game.

@ColdShadow Did you consider Note 9? And how much did you pay for your Note 8?

The Note 9 will not be coming in the next few months, the Galaxy comes in Spring and the Note is in the Fall

Reactions: nviz22

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I myself have experienced little to zero lag or software issues with my Note 8 in 5 months of daily use. I've been surprised to experience significant instances of lag/stuttering/freezing on my new 10.5-inch iPad Pro purchased at Christmas (which I am assuming is a product of the rather buggy iOS 11). This is my first Android phone (I had every iPhone iteration from 4 to 6s Plus) and I've been very pleasantly surprised. Very glad I decided to give Note 8 a try.

Reactions: iSilas

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Many thanks for your explanation I can see your somewhat unique case

Yes in your example you cannot select multiple items in a long conversation thread and send in one go where you would have to say post each item systematically say to Reminder or Evernote and combine as a post process

I am surprised for a few reasons you found this a deal breaker being imessages is so limited internationally, requiring both or multiple parties to have ios else placing a horrid burden of using mms and its limitations on to others.

I have seen in other threads where some users have 100% contacts with Apple devices but never in a business context. Even in the US with high IPhone penetration imessages is still 2 or 3 place for commonality.

Of course to avoid confusion we are not talking about simple sms's :) and in your personal bubble things have to work for you :) but for many others I do not think this would have the same level of importance.

Given other limitations and even the cross platform support now enjoyed by all leaves Apple once niche advantages down to triva differences for many

But what works for you will always be the priority :D

I create anywhere from 50-80 new work orders (Evernote notes) a week. Each may have been made from 2-10 text "bubbles". If I were to send one at a time, I'd have hundreds of notes to combine to create the 10-15 work orders I run every day.

iMessage is the only way Ive found to do this. I don't do anything "internationally". And it doesn't matter if the sender is on iOS or not. As long as I am iOS/iMessage I can achieve what I need.

I really did enjoy the Note 8, and Android. I wish I could find an Android messaging app that would do what I need.

Reactions: 5105973

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
I bought the Note 8, then bought the iPhone X. The Note 9 isn't in my future.

Yes, the Notes have some fantastic features and it's all about personal preferences but I prefer the smaller gains from the iPhone X in some features, then the Note 8's larger gains, which isn't usually the way I measure things.
(I'd take apple's face recognition over the larger Note 8 screen)

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I switched from the Note 8 to the iPhone X. I thought the X was a much better user experience. Samsung is behind on software updates, slightly behind on app updates, and has some stuff that feels more quirky to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.