Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HerdJC

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
West Virginia
I did the same thing and sold my iPhone X and picked up the Note 8 a couple of weeks ago. As someone who has owned almost every iPhone from the 3G on (3G, 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6+, 6s+, 7+) and a Note 3 thrown in there, I have no regrets at all. I didn't care for the Face ID technology and the issues I had with lagging, freezing, and stuttering with the latest iOS was frustrating. The only way I can see myself going back to iPhone at this point is if the plus model were to introduce support for a S-Pen equivalent (or a smaller Pencil).

Also, I'm finding Samsung Pay to be much more useful than Apple Pay. Most places in my area still don't accept Apple Pay, but I can use Samsung Pay almost anywhere that a normal card reader exists. It actually saved me yesterday when I went to the grocery store and forgot my wallet. The shocked look on the clerk's face as he said "Hey man, we don't take Appl..." *beep* was worth it.

I also picked up the Gear S3 Classic since AT&T was offering a deal to add it for $50 when you buy a Samsung phone. I will admit my Apple Watch was somewhat easier to use and a little faster, but it was starting to fail since it was a series 0 and the battery would no longer last more than 10 hours. Its a solid offering and works will with the Note.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Good for those who prefer the Note 8 - I think for the foreseeable I am going to be all Apple. I did have the S8 but the lacuna on the side which was the redundant Bixby rather spoiled it for me.

Still, it's good we have so much more choice these days (even among iPhones). I met a chap in hospital today who was delighted with his SE - showing me videos of his giggling grandchild on it, it is all the phone he needs/wants.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Going back 4/5 years I have had a Samsung device and it became terribly slow and ran out of memory.
I switched to apple due to on board memory (I know I could have gotten a memory card) and I hated my 4s back then and that what made me switch to the S3 or 4, whatever it was.
Anyhow when that phone went down after all the customization options I did not miss it. I was overall happy with iPhone having the 5s and the 6s. It was a great switch to get the 6s from the 5s as the phone screen was bigger but the overall form factor of the device was not huge.

What made me switch to the Note 8 four months ago was the fact my 6s was behaving a bit weird, the battery was dying, and what ruined it for me is everytime I did and update it seemed so many things would be out of order. I said to myself you do not use Face Time much, I never use iMessage, and I was not using iCloud. Couple that with me backing up the device on my computer which was not capable of the lastest version of itunes to even due a mirror back up. The other biggest factor it seemed that everytime I went to get an application it always cost $$$.
Thus I switched to the Note 8, which is a great device.

However the companion watch is not nearly as fun as the apple watch, I miss the simplization of the iPhone where this note has 101 settings and most I do not need or care of using. All the special features I do not use. The free apps are great so I am happy about that.
I do not use the s pen and this is an overall bigger device. I am happy with the phone but part of me thinks the ease of iphone and since I prefer the watch better might be the way to go....
It boring but simple, and works. Note 8 has so many settings and is a big phone. X seems true apple fashion in a smaller package with all the feature and not many settings to tweak on thing stopping me price and the app store.

What would you do?

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Going back 4/5 years I have had a Samsung device and it became terribly slow and ran out of memory.
I switched to apple due to on board memory (I know I could have gotten a memory card) and I hated my 4s back then and that what made me switch to the S3 or 4, whatever it was.
Anyhow when that phone went down after all the customization options I did not miss it. I was overall happy with iPhone having the 5s and the 6s. It was a great switch to get the 6s from the 5s as the phone screen was bigger but the overall form factor of the device was not huge.

What made me switch to the Note 8 four months ago was the fact my 6s was behaving a bit weird, the battery was dying, and what ruined it for me is everytime I did and update it seemed so many things would be out of order. I said to myself you do not use Face Time much, I never use iMessage, and I was not using iCloud. Couple that with me backing up the device on my computer which was not capable of the lastest version of itunes to even due a mirror back up. The other biggest factor it seemed that everytime I went to get an application it always cost $$$.
Thus I switched to the Note 8, which is a great device.

However the companion watch is not nearly as fun as the apple watch, I miss the simplization of the iPhone where this note has 101 settings and most I do not need or care of using. All the special features I do not use. The free apps are great so I am happy about that.
I do not use the s pen and this is an overall bigger device. I am happy with the phone but part of me thinks the ease of iphone and since I prefer the watch better might be the way to go....
It boring but simple, and works. Note 8 has so many settings and is a big phone. X seems true apple fashion in a smaller package with all the feature and not many settings to tweak on thing stopping me price and the app store.

What would you do?
You should try the X for a few days and then maybe you can appreciate the greatness of the Note 8 despite being go big. To be fair the X feels more premium in the hand than the Note so thats one more point for the X, functionality wise you will lose a lot more but since you barely use those features and you like to keep it simple I doubt you'll lose anything.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
You should try the X for a few days and then maybe you can appreciate the greatness of the Note 8 despite being go big. To be fair the X feels more premium in the hand than the Note so thats one more point for the X, functionality wise you will lose a lot more but since you barely use those features and you like to keep it simple I doubt you'll lose anything.

That is how I feel as well and what I will probably do. I apperciate the apple watch more than the gear sport watch, and I miss some of the apple apps I did have... I could always go back to the Note.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Good for those who prefer the Note 8 - I think for the foreseeable I am going to be all Apple. I did have the S8 but the lacuna on the side which was the redundant Bixby rather spoiled it for me.

Still, it's good we have so much more choice these days (even among iPhones). I met a chap in hospital today who was delighted with his SE - showing me videos of his giggling grandchild on it, it is all the phone he needs/wants.
Nothing more beautiful than having the device that suits you.

I am so damn happy with my Note8, when I had the S7 Edge (due to Note7 demise, as I was coming from Note 4), I kept looking at Note5 users with envy but at the sametime wanted a Note with the latest specs like my Note 4 was at its time.
When the Note8 got launched I was so happy as I was getting the SPen back with all the latest features. I can't go back to anything without this Pen.

I have friends and family with iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus and I just cannot get myself into the iPhone it simply does not have all that I want but I am glad for those who it fits. Heck even regular Androids like Pixel 2 XL and OnePlus 5T do not have all that I want, they to feel like a compromise to me, both are like iPhones just with Android in fact, to me.

Reactions: yui4

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
It seems Apple gets way more attention retail wise as well.
They have a huge space I think in most Best Buy's. they tend to have a big retail store in most major metro areas.

Since I live in a populated area we have a Samsung store actually very small boutique like, the feel of the location doesn't match Apple either. It is a lot easier to find Apple accessories as well.

Reactions: Wide opeN

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It seems Apple gets way more attention retail wise as well.
They have a huge space I think in most Best Buy's. they tend to have a big retail store in most major metro areas.

Since I live in a populated area we have a Samsung store actually very small boutique like, the feel of the location doesn't match Apple either. It is a lot easier to find Apple accessories as well.

Here in NYC, Samsung has just as much of a space in stores as Apple, even in Carrier stores. But Samsung doesn't have their own retail stores like Apple has. The few Samsung stores I've been to are not even stores, but more like a place to experience their products, don't think you can actually buy something there.

Or maybe Samsung thinks it's consumers are more online shoppers, and they could be right. For some reason, Apple consumers are drawn to their physical stores. Samsung probably realizes that they can't duplicate that or doesn't want to spend the money to try and match that.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
I sold my Note 8 and kept my X. Too tall and i didn't like the curved edges. Picked up $210 on top of what i paid.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I sold my Note 8 and kept my X. Too tall and i didn't like the curved edges. Picked up $210 on top of what i paid.

Where did you sell it at?
[doublepost=1522726786][/doublepost]
I switched from IPhone 7+ to Samsung S9, very happy..still luv Apple products

My Note 8 that I have is starting to grow on me again now that I am heavily thinking of switching to Apple.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I had the X and the Note 8 at the same time a few months ago. The X got returned and I sold the Note 8 and bought an 8 plus, which I'm very happy with.

I returned the X due to a crappy screen. I just hated it. With a price tag of almost $1500 (including AppleCare), I expect better. I actually tried 2 of them, and both were horrible.

The Note 8 was a great phone, but the apps I use most sucked on Android. Its my work phone, and I found that I was actually less productive using it. The loss of iMessage was huge for me. I need to be able to forward individual texts and pics to an email address, and that cant be done with any Android messaging app. And its a HUGE phone, that felt top heavy in my hand. Other than that I had no complaints. I'd still have it if not for those things.

Switched from my 6s to the N8.
Great device and have an x sitting on my shelf that I have been playing around with. I miss the apple integration and ease of use and some of the features.
Isnt the 8 plus as big as the note 8?
Guess I should stick with my Note 8 because the iPhone seems great but I just don't know if the switch is right. Maybe I should see what apple brings this year.
[doublepost=1523303527][/doublepost]
I create anywhere from 50-80 new work orders (Evernote notes) a week. Each may have been made from 2-10 text "bubbles". If I were to send one at a time, I'd have hundreds of notes to combine to create the 10-15 work orders I run every day.

iMessage is the only way Ive found to do this. I don't do anything "internationally". And it doesn't matter if the sender is on iOS or not. As long as I am iOS/iMessage I can achieve what I need.

I really did enjoy the Note 8, and Android. I wish I could find an Android messaging app that would do what I need.

I think you might be right, you can not forward more than 1 at a time. Can be tedious.
One thing I dislike about the note is when I am on a phone call I get no alerts of a text message coming through...?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I miss the simplization of the iPhone where this note has 101 settings and most I do not need or care of using.

This is a common argument by Apple users which I have never understood. What are these settings that are bothering people?

After setting up my phone after purchase, I have hardly had any settings to fiddle with on a daily basis and neither has my somewhat technically inept girlfriend whom I ruthlessly made abandon iPhones.

If anything, some things are easier on Android such as reading notifications, or switching off location tracking and changing WiFi network without having to go to settings. Lastly the back button makes it quick to go back a page or to the previous app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsepz

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
This is a common argument by Apple users which I have never understood. What are these settings that are bothering people?

After setting up my phone after purchase, I have hardly had any settings to fiddle with on a daily basis and neither has my somewhat technically inept girlfriend whom I ruthlessly made abandon iPhones.

If anything, some things are easier on Android such as reading notifications, or switching off location tracking and changing WiFi network without having to go to settings. Lastly the back button makes it quick to go back a page or to the previous app.

Once you learn a phone you learn a phone. I have the Note 8 and usually everytime I say I will stick with it the next day I am like I miss apple.
Either way I have an X here I have been playing with and its funny I was trying to add ringtones and I remember to go through zedge you have to use iTunes on the computer or pay the $1.29 to avoid the inconvience.
Played with the phone last night and it is a great device and perfect size not sure what is conpelling me to switch but I have no major gripe about the Note 8 except for size. The x is just simple and secure.
[doublepost=1523360740][/doublepost]I have been thinking about just activaing the x and moving on but for for some reason to justify the price of over $1100 skews the judgement a bit. (Plus buying another aw puts me over 1500 easy if you count bands and the stainless version)
Only thing I miss is face time and the apple intergration features like health and apple music and how fluid the watch is with it.

My only other option is an S9 which gives me most of the same features of the Note 8 which I do not use the pen however I might miss the dual camera feature but same benefits none the less in the exact same form factor at a MUCH cheaper price.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Once you learn a phone you learn a phone. I have the Note 8 and usually everytime I say I will stick with it the next day I am like I miss apple.
Either way I have an X here I have been playing with and its funny I was trying to add ringtones and I remember to go through zedge you have to use iTunes on the computer or pay the $1.29 to avoid the inconvience.
Played with the phone last night and it is a great device and perfect size not sure what is conpelling me to switch but I have no major gripe about the Note 8 except for size. The x is just simple and secure.
[doublepost=1523360740][/doublepost]I have been thinking about just activaing the x and moving on but for for some reason to justify the price of over $1100 skews the judgement a bit. (Plus buying another aw puts me over 1500 easy if you count bands and the stainless version)
Only thing I miss is face time and the apple intergration features like health and apple music and how fluid the watch is with it.

My only other option is an S9 which gives me most of the same features of the Note 8 which I do not use the pen however I might miss the dual camera feature but same benefits none the less in the exact same form factor at a MUCH cheaper price.

I hear you. Old habits are hard to break. While I use a Mac at home, at work I prefer Windows as I can't get to gripes with using Mac for producing long documents or spreadsheets.

If you won't have use for the S-Pen or watch a lot of videos/do daily trading etc, the S9 Plus is large enough.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I hear you. Old habits are hard to break. While I use a Mac at home, at work I prefer Windows as I can't get to gripes with using Mac for producing long documents or spreadsheets.

If you won't have use for the S-Pen or watch a lot of videos/do daily trading etc, the S9 Plus is large enough.

Or even the s9...

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Just got a Note 8 2 weeks back. Snagged on at a great deal from a friend. I have an X as well. Both my wife and I bought the X and didn't realize we were going to miss the screen real estate from the plus series. I couldn't type or read on that thing to save my life. Loving the Note 8 so far. Its taken me a good week to get everything set up and re-learn the OS. Not missing the iPhone at all. The battery life is roughly the same for me on both phones. I wasn't tied to Apple ecosystem other than a family plan on Apple Music. No watch or Macbook. Only an iPad for work. Now that Apple allows Apple Music Family on Android, I am fine. I do hope Apple integrates Android Auto for Apple Music in the next update and I will be in heaven. In the 2 years I have been away from Android, they have really caught up in almost every area.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016

Agreed. I have the note 8 and picked up the X to try. X is not bad but I will wait it out maybe see what comes later this year.
Only qualm I have now is the Note 8 size. May go with and S9 or S9+.
Almost would feel like a downgrade either way, but this device is huge and I never touch the pen.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Dont' know.. I found the S9 to be for me "rationally" better than the iPhone – as Windows compared to OSX. But I feel me "emotionally" bounded with the iPhone and OSX... also if I hate both after so many years (about 10). So I don't know what to do...

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Dont' know.. I found the S9 to be for me "rationally" better than the iPhone – as Windows compared to OSX. But I feel me "emotionally" bounded with the iPhone and OSX... also if I hate both after so many years (about 10). So I don't know what to do...

I’d say stick with what makes you happiest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.