Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
because of this i have trended to supporting apps and companies that work across all of them. Microsoft, Google, Spotify works well for me. Apple, well Itunes on windows sucks, Apple music on Android works well but why do I have to pay for Apple Music to listen to music i own? Google services on Windows isn't great but far better than Apple. Choice has become more important to me than pretty icons and emoji's
Well said. I recently have been moving away from Apple's services, as I finally came to the realization that it's nearly insane for me to keep dumping money into services that lock me down to one device/one family of devices. For one, I stopped buying iTunes movies. I now buy my digital movies from Amazon. I can watch them on Smart TV's, Chromecasts, and my Xbox One. iTunes movies? I can only watch them on an Apple TV.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Well said. I recently have been moving away from Apple's services, as I finally came to the realization that it's nearly insane for me to keep dumping money into services that lock me down to one device/one family of devices. For one, I stopped buying iTunes movies. I now buy my digital movies from Amazon. I can watch them on Smart TV's, Chromecasts, and my Xbox One. iTunes movies? I can only watch them on an Apple TV.
I also am migrating to Google services (read: Moving my family to google services). I hate being locked down to one platform. My iPhone is still necessary due to my work email, but that's really all that's holding me down at the moment.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I also am migrating to Google services (read: Moving my family to google services). I hate being locked down to one platform. My iPhone is still necessary due to my work email, but that's really all that's holding me down at the moment.

Me too. I regret all of the iTunes movies I bought which after now unwatchable on anything other than an Apple device. And overall, as a package, Google services are just so much more robust and reliable. Putting aside any privacy and big brother concerns, Google really does consumer cloud computing the right way.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Me too. I regret all of the iTunes movies I bought which after now unwatchable on anything other than an Apple device. And overall, as a package, Google services are just so much more robust and reliable. Putting aside any privacy and big brother concerns, Google really does consumer cloud computing the right way.
I confess the iTunes movies I have bought are mostly from Disney properties, so they're not tied to any one service.

Thank God for Disney.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I switched back to Apple for the first time in 2 years for the iPhone 6S. I miss android and especially beastly Samsung hardware, but Apple has really bolstered the iOS experience to where it's close to android in terms of robust features with iOS 10.

I'm considering the Note 7 currently, and will make a purchase decision by the end of next week.

Reactions: AustinIllini

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I confess the iTunes movies I have bought are mostly from Disney properties, so they're not tied to any one service.

Thank God for Disney.

These are the only one's I'll buy from streaming services as well..let's me watch via iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, even Microsoft. Otherwise, if I purchase a movie, it's a blu ray that I then rip and convert to the optimal format.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois

I use absolutely ZERO Apple services on my iPhone. I won't use Safari, because I prefer the syncing with Chrome. I use Google Keep because I can access it on any computer, tablet, phone I can find. I use Google Play Music (mostly because I got in on the grandfathered price of $7.99/month). Still use Google Calendar, Google contact sync, and Gmail. And I refuse to purchase movies, TV shows, music from iTunes. Any movies or shows I purchase on Google Play so I can use them on anything. I love Apple, but I love Google and Android, too. And I don't want to lock myself in with Apple. I would venture a guess that a lot of people would also feel this way, and using platform agnostic apps would be the way to go. FREEDOM!!

Reactions: breezeblocks

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I feel ya. The only thing that keeps me on iOS is 1) Touch ID for login and payments; 2) apps seem to be more polished and hit iOS first.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I feel ya. The only thing that keeps me on iOS is 1) Touch ID for login and payments; 2) apps seem to be more polished and hit iOS first.

There's Touch ID for login and payments on Samsung phones too, I believe. I agree that apps are way more polished on iOS though

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
First of all, I want to say that I'm a pretty huge Apple fan. I still have (and ocassionaly use!) my iMac G4 on the table. I experienced the iPods, have three iPads on the house and right now, I'm sitting in front of my 13" MacBook Air. And of course, I experienced the iPhones as well.

But somehow, Apple recently lost the definition of Apple. For some, it's the company that makes cool and sexy products. For me, Apple is the company that taught me to pay premium for premium quality with no compromises allowed. But nowadays, it feels like the only premium that Apple has, is the pricing. I remember how back in the days was I amazed by the software support that my iPhone's got. I remember how was I laughing to Android users for the clumsiness of their phones. Today, I read forums and wait a few days before I update to next iOS version. And even then I ask myself, when would Apple fix this or that.

Maybe that's the reason why I curiously switched from iOS to Android for the first time in six years. Basically, for the first time since I bought an iPhone. Now, it's been about two weeks since I started using a Galaxy S7 edge and there's quite a few things that I like on the new phone.

1) Design – Without doubt, the design feels really fresh when compared to the design that current iPhones have. Glass on it's back reminds me of the premium design of iPhone 4, which I loved. Due to being curved, it's pushed to the limit. Actually a futuristic design I wished to see on next iPhone 7. The display feels huge to me, but I guess I would ignore this over time.

2) Camera – I study mass media and we work with cameras. On day and night. And even though iPhone is the most popular camera on Flickr, it doesn't mean it's still the best one. Since I switched to S7, I take a lot of photos at night. Whether it's the architecture or just the night sky. The pics just look nice. Also I like the RAW support and the Pro Mode that I use to take product photos for reviews etc.

3) Wireless Charging – Once you go Qi, cable's not thy. Basically, having your phone on a wireless charging station is more comfortable than having to put the cable in. You keep your phone there when you're not using it and then you take it away when you need it. Though I don't like to use it at night since the charging stand has a noisy fan in it (active only when charging).

4) Apple Music – Yes. When you switch from iOS to Android, you just have to take your music library with yourself.

5) iCloud Mail – What I was surprised by, was the fact that I could load my iCloud Mail to the phone within seconds just by using my login credentials in the pre-loaded Mail app.

6) Contactless Payments in Europe – The problem with Apple Pay is, that you can use it only in supported countries. My country's unfortunately not, which is why I couldn't use that feature in here. Switching to Android was basically the only way to get this feature up and running. Took few hours to get it set by the bank but then I got the ability to pay with my phone on any NFC terminal in the country.

Basically, it feels to me that on some of the cases, an Android phone might just really be more useful than an iPhone. Even though you lose useful things like Continuity/Handoff or long-term software support.
I figured that out 5 years ago lol.

Reactions: mrex

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Congrats! I've used Apple devices all my life (along with Windows and DOS computers) and my first smartphone was an iPhone. However I did have a Android phones, and I started to like that. My first one was a Galaxy Music. Terrible device with awesome speakers and earphones. Then I got an S4 and an HTC ONE M8. Now I have a 10. I love contactless payments on it. And love it as an overall device. Miss wireless charging. It's a great all rounder phone and the camera is much better than the iPhone one, especially at night. Doesn't compare to the S7 but still good. I love expandable storage as well (as well as merged storage) since my 128GB iPhone isn't enough hahaha

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I always feel like being handicapped with iphone but... until google takes privacy seriously (3rd party apps!) i wont change back to android (my main phone - i do have android devices though). I rather feel handicapped than feeling unsure all the time and what i can do with my (work)phone..

If google would be more aggressive towards apps, there wont be any reason why i wont come back to android. iphone is just too simple phone for me and makes me feel abit stupid...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.