Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Reading Android and iPhone forums, I always hear how awful the iPhone looks . Many people state the obvious like the notch and the bezels . I personally think the current design is fantastic! The bezels around the device are the same unlike the galaxy phones . Having a flat screen is amazing when you used to use galaxy phones and accidential touches were the worst. Along with the stainless steel wrapped around the device makes the recent linenofn iPhones feel more premium.

I know Apple has the potential to make this device even more refined . But I’m satisfied with what we have now .

What’s your guy’s opinion about the current iPhone design?

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Personally I really like the design of the 11 Pro. I think the three cameras design looks good, and the old X and XS design looks silly, almost like a toy. I’ll be keeping my 11 Pro until 2021, as I don’t upgrade every year.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Personally I really like the design of the 11 Pro. I think the three cameras design looks good, and the old X and XS design looks silly, almost like a toy. I’ll be keeping my 11 Pro until 2021, as I don’t upgrade every year.
Funny because when the X, XS and 11 Pro are laying screen up they're identical and the materials the phone are made of are the same. From the camera side, the 11 Pro's camera area is by far the most criticized difference between the three models.. Saying the the 11 Pro looks "better" or "less toy like" is an opinion that makes little sense

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have loved the design of the X series since I received my launch day C, which I still have. I love my XS Max now and hope Apple don’t change the design to that of the 4 series. I hated the squared sides. I’ll be upgrading in September or whenever Apple release the 12 Pro Max.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I like the design. It’s my third favourite design after the iPhone 4 series and the iPhone 5 series.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
No it's fugly but so is every phone made in the last couple years..

Someday someone will make another attractive phone I'm sure

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
The camera bumps aren't exactly ideal, but they're integrated about as well as they actually can be given the circumstances.

Otherwise, I agree, they look and feel great. I like the design of the iPhone 4-5S era a lot too, but it all comes down to preferences whether you like the contours or something more edged.

Reactions: LunarFalcon

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
The 11 Series is the best design since the 5s. The 6 generation had those awful antenna lines and the camera bump. It wasn't until the 11 generation that Apple found a way to integrate the camera module into something other than a bump sticking out. The 7 was just blah. I will admit that the gold 8 and 8 plus were quite lovely, they still look great. It's crazy how dated the X and XS looks when compared to the 11. Apple really nailed it with this generation. It will be interesting to see how they bring back the 4s design for today. I'll probably wait for the 12S, that way the kinks will be ironed out.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Reading Android and iPhone forums, I always hear how awful the iPhone looks . Many people state the obvious like the notch and the bezels . I personally think the current design is fantastic! The bezels around the device are the same unlike the galaxy phones . Having a flat screen is amazing when you used to use galaxy phones and accidential touches were the worst. Along with the stainless steel wrapped around the device makes the recent linenofn iPhones feel more premium.

I know Apple has the potential to make this device even more refined . But I’m satisfied with what we have now .

What’s your guy’s opinion about the current iPhone design?
I definitely agree about not liking the curved Androids. Would always accidentally tap on the edges.
[automerge]1581614634[/automerge]
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY XS MAX!!!

Apple got it right the first time with uniformed bezels and rounded corners for the screen. The screen silhouette is a feature on to itself ??????.

I've never had a problem with the notch.
Only had an issue in the beginning when devs didn't code properly around the notch and drug their feet or updating. Was much better with the Pro Max. One app had content under the notch again but updated in days instead of weeks with the XS Max.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
The 11 Series is the best design since the 5s. The 6 generation had those awful antenna lines and the camera bump. It wasn't until the 11 generation that Apple found a way to integrate the camera module into something other than a bump sticking out. The 7 was just blah. I will admit that the gold 8 and 8 plus were quite lovely, they still look great. It's crazy how dated the X and XS looks when compared to the 11. Apple really nailed it with this generation. It will be interesting to see how they bring back the 4s design for today. I'll probably wait for the 12S, that way the kinks will be ironed out.

Have to disagree, the matte back is boring and there's something off about the Apple logo in the middle of the back now. Also removing iPhone from the back makes the phone seem chintzy.

When I look at my iPhone Xs Max from the back, I'm like damn this is one good looking phone. The 11 Pro Max is ok. Too many aesthic changes in one generation if you ask me.

Reactions: Aydy

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

I thought the 7 did a nice job at making the antenna lines feel purposeful design-wise, and the smooth transition from camera lens to body hasn't been matched. In many ways it feels like what the 6 should have been from the get-go.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
everyone has a smartphone. the market is saturated. Turn them over and they all look the same.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I like everything about the way my 11 Pro Max looks except for the camera setup. I prefer the way Samsung's S20 looks, but it Samsung so that's a nope.

Reactions: _karrol and Aydy

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
When the X came out I wasn’t a fan of the notch. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t like it. Then I got the max and now couldn’t care less about it.

What I don’t like and will never like is the hideous camera hump on the back.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I like the current design. There function related to the form, given Face ID sensors made the notch necessary but still have a large screen. The other phones copying the notch really had no purpose other than copying the design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.