Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtomato

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Hello. I have been debating back and forth with myself about buying a iMac Pro or wait until June 2018 for news. But I think I've decided, but please tell me if i am stupid.

- Base model iMac Pro. Nothing added.
vs
- New 2018 iMac 5K, maxed out.

Last one would of course be if there would be a new iMac in 2018.
This would of course make me have to wait until June 2018 for the news.

I don't mind the price of the iMac Pro. And i don't mind waiting if the new 2018 iMac 5K would be better than the base iMac Pro, or close to.

My needs, i edit big photoshoots, with 500-800ex images per time. Have multiple things on at the same time. I use Lr and Ps for the most stuff, but also Apples own 'images'. So i need a machine that understands me, responds instant. And will work with me for many years to come without lagging what so ever.. (i do not want to change / upgrade my iMac for the next 5-6 years at least.)

Question,

- If i bought the base iMac Pro, would the performance and inside still be superior to the 'maxed out 2018 iMac 5k'..? This is my concern. Or would the now new iMac 2018 maxed out be close to the iMac Pro?

- Iv'e read that the iMac Pro is slow? How can this be? Is this information true? Or is this just people trying to make headlines?

Thanks a lot, any advice would help things out.
[doublepost=1547581507][/doublepost]Save your money, buy a Mac mini 6 core with 16 gig of ram and ego...imac pro is overkill, no need to waste your money you will never utilize all of it...take the rest of money saved and enjoy life go on vacation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.