Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I have no interest at all in the garbage and directed messages I'll get from stores, etc. using iBeacon. Is it possible to disable? Is there anything that I can disable so it won't work (wifi, bluetooth, etc) not that other problems won't be caused.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I have no interest at all in the garbage and directed messages I'll get from stores, etc. using iBeacon. Is it possible to disable? Is there anything that I can disable so it won't work (wifi, bluetooth, etc) not that other problems won't be caused.

Don't download the store's app.

You won't get notifications if for example, you don't make a Target account, and load the Target app for the iBeacons to activate.

e.g. MLB stadium location stuff requires MLB app.
Macy's iBeacon notifications require Shopkick app.
Apple store notifications require Apple Store app.

Last edited:

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

You won't get any directed messages without having the appropriate app installed.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks - didn't completely understand how it worked. So stores may "know" my device is around but can't actually bother me directly if I don't have their app installed.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Thanks - didn't completely understand how it worked. So stores may "know" my device is around but can't actually bother me directly if I don't have their app installed.

Most iBeacons are passive. They don't report back. They are a beacon they plug into a power outlet somewhere, and leave, no network connection.

17879786654e7aa740aefd78d5b20ca7_330.jpg

They broadcast a beacon, that your phone receives, and can relay the ID to an app, which can correspond that beacon ID with a location.

Psyko

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
Bumping this thread. I only recently learned about this iBeacon feature. If I e.g don't have Apples app, can they still somehow track me and my phone in a store?

Can stores overall track me and my phone geographically or even across stores or even across vendors?

Is there any way to opt out or even block all this from happening, or do I need to keep bluetooth (and wifi?) turned hard off, not just control center soft-off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.