Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LindaHl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
Had to do a complete reset on my iPad. Backed up the data from it before with iTunes. Restored the data from the backup after the reset. The PDFs that were in my iBooks app are missing, just like Apps that are no more available in the AppSotre. How to bring them back? If you cannot do it with factory tools, any third party software for this?

What I figured out so far:

-When I open the Backup archive with iBackup Viewer, I can see the missing Apps are listed in the backup. Does it mean they could be brought back from there somehow, or it is just a reference for that App, and the App files themselves are actually missing? I don't have the .ipa files for the Apps in question, I checked the iTunes/Mobile Applications folder, and unfortunately the ones concerned are not there.

-When I finish the restore from the backup and open iBooks, the missing PDFs appear for a moment, then disappear, and then they are not visible any more. Only the ones I purchased through the iBooks app. Does it mean they are actually there, just don't appear for some reason, or it is just their thumbnail that appears for a moment, but after the App recognises they are actually not there, it removes them from the list?

Some additional data: usually I have iCloud backups turned off. I am not sure what setting was on for individual Apps regarding iCloud drive, especially for iBooks, but I thought iTunes backs up every data, so I relied on that only. And actually all things are there, Safari bookmarks and history, etc. etc., only iBooks is missing.

LindaHl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
So I guess I have to let these things go now.

Okay, but for next time, is there any third party app that can create a full, complete backup, so I don't need to recover certain data by various tricks? An secondly, in case I want to archive apps to reload later, how can I exort and import .ipa easily? I have a 2012 version of iTunes on one of my MAc computers, that can surprisingly manage 10.3.4 version iOS, i know how to export and import .ipa files with that, but I worry what happens in case it won't be able to manage a new iOS version. Any other mehod that works as easily as it was in case of old iTunes versions? Any third party software or easy workaround?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
You might take a look at iMazing.com, which gets discussed here on MacRumors quite a bit. There's a free version of it that will automatically backup your iPad and iPhone. Whether it's compatible with the iOS version you're running, I don't know, but you can research that on the site to find out.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

LindaHl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
You might take a look at iMazing.com, which gets discussed here on MacRumors quite a bit. There's a free version of it that will automatically backup your iPad and iPhone. Whether it's compatible with the iOS version you're running, I don't know, but you can research that on the site to find out.
Thanks, this is what I am also watching at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.