Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I wouldn't say that specifically. Many portrait photographers put the face in the dead center of the frame. Do realize, though, that when that happens, the face as a whole is less noticed and the image becomes more about the details. The eyes, or the lips, or the hair, or etc. Other design aspects come into play.

I wasn't very clear. I wasn't talking about tight portrait shows but torso or full body shots. Some people will still frame those with the face(s) dead center in the shot.

Greg

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
When taking pics over water, remember to keep the camera level. I've seen tons of ocean and lake shots ruined because the photographer forgot to consider that oceans and lakes are not on hills!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
i read that zooming as opposed to moving in is better because u get the perspective or something
that cud be wrong but something like that

Foot zoom expands the depth of the image because you'll end up using a wider angle. Lens zoom compresses the depth because you're using a telephoto.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
zoom with your feet!

+1! Learn this and you can get away with using mostly primes.

My tip would be to do most the work in the camera (learn to read your histogram) so you can spend less time fiddling post-shoot.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Crouch down, climb up high, and/or tilt your camera to one side (not 90°, think 20 or 50). +1000pts for composition!

Obviously it can be done, but it's much harder to get an interesting shot from eye-level (standing on the ground) than if you move the camera position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.