Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
With Apple, I can still use Google services just fine. Best of both worlds.

You can't change default apps on iOS so it's not fine since you're forced to jump through hoops.

Worse is the fascism authoritarian rule of iOS. You pay full price for the device and don't have the freedom to use it it as you wish since Apple restrict emulators, bittorrent, Kodi, etc. even for legal or owned content. What's next, they disable Safari since it can used to browse content that Apple think is questionable?

I like freedom and choice so don't restrict myself to one.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
For me I’d go with Google. I use a custom built windows computer and my biggest issue is that Apple doesn’t allow iMessage through iCloud.com. I have friends who use WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram. Being able to message from my computer is becoming a huge requirement for me. It’s just easier and allows me to not use my phone at all when I’m at home.

As my Apple products need to be replaced I’ll be going with products that can work on both Android or iOS because I’m not getting locked into any ecosystem going forward. I want my phone to be an extension of my computer and I’m not buying a Mac.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Outside of iMessage, is there a good Apple service Google doesn't do better?
iTunes movies and music have more selections than Google’s.

In the end, if I chose Apple, I can still use all of Google’s services as well. So why should I pick a platform that offers me less choice? You don’t like choice?
[doublepost=1548553978][/doublepost]
You can't change default apps on iOS so it's not fine since you're forced to jump through hoops.

Worse is the fascism authoritarian rule of iOS. You pay full price for the device and don't have the freedom to use it it as you wish since Apple restrict emulators, bittorrent, Kodi, etc. even for legal or owned content. What's next, they disable Safari since it can used to browse content that Apple think is questionable?

I like freedom and choice so don't restrict myself to one.
I can install Chrome on my Mac and iPhone. If I choose Apple, I still have full access of Google’s services. So why should I pick another platform that restrict my choices? You don’t like choice?

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
iTunes movies and music have more selections than Google’s.

In the end, if I chose Apple, I can still use all of Google’s services as well. So why should I pick a platform that offers me less choice? You don’t like choice?
[doublepost=1548553978][/doublepost]
I can install Chrome on my Mac and iPhone. If I choose Apple, I still have full access of Google’s services. So why should I pick another platform that restrict my choices? You don’t like choice?
The only platform who restricts choices is Apple who could perfectly remove Chrome from the App Store so users would stick to their browser to browse within their own conditions. Just like they do with their phones and computers nowadays.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The only platform who restricts choices is Apple who could perfectly remove Chrome from the App Store so users would stick to their browser to browse within their own conditions. Just like they do with their phones and computers nowadays.
Does Apple remove Chrome? No.
Again, despite being on Apple ecosystem, I can still use all Google’s services just fine. More choice for me as a user. Why would I restrict myself? The irony of you talking about choice by eliminating choice.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Does Apple remove Chrome? No.
Again, despite being on Apple ecosystem, I can still use all Google’s services just fine. More choice for me as a user. Why would I restrict myself? The irony of you talking about choice by eliminating choice.
You certainly have a unique perspective on choice.

If you are using Apple software and services, then you are locked (with a few exceptions) into Apple hardware. You have no alternatives but to buy Apple hardware. You are at the mercy of a single hardware manufacturer.

If you are using Google software and services then Apple hardware is not the best financially prudent choice. You're paying a premium for the hardware (that is benefited by exclusive software and services) but not using them (Apple services).

There is little to no interchange between Apple's and Google's software and services so if one is using both, they're having parallel paths which is not good for those looking to have a more integrated environment)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I’ll stick with iOS but android is a better OS at this point in time. The little things android allows a user to do make all the difference. iOS is a mess.

Reactions: 5105973

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The Apple ecosystem is the opposite of choice. The only reason you can use Google services is because Google develops for that platform

But to play devils advocate...Google develops for the platform because they’d make a fraction of their profit and income if they didn’t.

The two ecosystems are very different. One is based primarily on hardware while the other is almost entirely services based.

From a purely services/software perspective, I don’t think anyone can argue against Google leading in this area (with a few exceptions). But they better. Conversely, I think when comparing hardware, Apple’s is easily better than Google’s. But again, it better be.

But @pika2000 isn't wrong. You may not have the level of flexibility or customization across all of Apple’s hardware that you have on the Google/Android ecosystem, but you do have more choice. And yes, I’m aware that this is is large part due to Apple withholding access to much of their services outside of Apple’s hardware but that’s a luxury (for them) created by their business model. Google doesn’t support multiple platforms out of kindness and generosity—they have to do so, else their business model fails. They could limit their services to their own hardware if they wanted to. But we all know they actually can’t do that.
[doublepost=1548609818][/doublepost]
You certainly have a unique perspective on choice.

If you are using Apple software and services, then you are locked (with a few exceptions) into Apple hardware. You have no alternatives but to buy Apple hardware. You are at the mercy of a single hardware manufacturer.

If you are using Google software and services then Apple hardware is not the best financially prudent choice. You're paying a premium for the hardware (that is benefited by exclusive software and services) but not using them (Apple services).

There is little to no interchange between Apple's and Google's software and services so if one is using both, they're having parallel paths which is not good for those looking to have a more integrated environment)

I don’t think Apple hardware is EVER a financially prudent choice. :):D And if you’re using Google services exclusively, I’d absolutely agree.

But I have to disagree with your last statement. I use both Apple and Google services and consequently I have a much more robust experience when using Apple hardware. I pick and choose the software/services I prefer (i.e. Apple Messages, Safari, Apple Notes and Reminders, Apple Pay, Apple HomeKit and Health, iCloud Keychain, with Google for email, contacts, calendars, Google Play Music, Google Drive, Google Maps/Waze). I get some benefits of Apple’s continuity, while also having access to the better services that Google offers. My setup offers a better overall user experience than if I went exclusively with either.
[doublepost=1548611487][/doublepost]To answer the OPs question, I took it literally as using one ecosystem’s software AND hardware. And as much as I give the overall edge to Google in services/software, there are too many places where their hardware falls short for me. There is no equivalent to the Apple Watch and iPad for me. I could use an Android phone, Android TV/Chromecast, use a Pixelbook for much of what I do on an iPad Pro. But there is no adequate desktop replacement, the Pixelbook isn’t a full replacement for an iPad and there is nothing close to the Apple Watch. And while there are less smart home hardware choices, Apples HomeKit is a much better integrated user experience.

I’d rather deal with the shortcoming of some of Apple’s software and service while using their hardware ecosystem vs. Google’s services on their hardware. Just my preference.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The Apple ecosystem is the opposite of choice. The only reason you can use Google services is because Google develops for that platform
If I use Android exclusively, I cannot use Apple services other than Apple Music. If I use iOS, I can still use all Google services. From a consumer perspective, I have more choice being on iOS.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If I use Android exclusively, I cannot use Apple services other than Apple Music. If I use iOS, I can still use all Google services. From a consumer perspective, I have more choice being on iOS.
Right but you can default to literally any other service on Android. So unless you feel obligated to settle for second or third rate apps from Apple you can literally default to any service on Android.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don’t think Apple hardware is EVER a financially prudent choice. :):D And if you’re using Google services exclusively, I’d absolutely agree.

But I have to disagree with your last statement. I use both Apple and Google services and consequently I have a much more robust experience when using Apple hardware. I pick and choose the software/services I prefer (i.e. Apple Messages, Safari, Apple Notes and Reminders, Apple Pay, Apple HomeKit and Health, iCloud Keychain, with Google for email, contacts, calendars, Google Play Music, Google Drive, Google Maps/Waze). I get some benefits of Apple’s continuity, while also having access to the better services that Google offers. My setup offers a better overall user experience than if I went exclusively with either.
It might be a matter of semantics (or whether the dividing line is horizontal or vertical), but there is little to no interaction between Apple services and Google services... you can't use Google Docs to interact files on iCloud drive. You can't use Pages to interact with google doc files. There is no inter-operability between Google Keep and Apple Notes. and so on.

Lack of interoperability and integration are the price to pay for not being "all in" in an ecosystem. That price is worth paying to have flexibility and freedom... but that price must be paid.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It might be a matter of semantics (or whether the dividing line is horizontal or vertical), but there is little to no interaction between Apple services and Google services... you can't use Google Docs to interact files on iCloud drive. You can't use Pages to interact with google doc files. There is no inter-operability between Google Keep and Apple Notes. and so on.

Lack of interoperability and integration are the price to pay for not being "all in" in an ecosystem. That price is worth paying to have flexibility and freedom... but that price must be paid.

Yes, there are some interoperability issues but it’s not uniform or absolute. For instance, your examples aren’t actually true. I can open Google Docs in Pages and save Pages docs in Google Drive to be opened in Docs. The limitation is actually in the other direction in that I can’t open a Google Doc from iCloud Drive (or any other cloud solution), a limitation imposed by Google as many other apps, including Microsoft Office have no problem do this. (For context, I’m presently doing all of this on my iPad Pro). And no, I can’t open notes from Apple Notes in Keep and vice versa, yet I can send an individual Apple Note to Keep or export them to Keep. Can’t do the reverse.

I understand the core of what you’re saying—the best interoperability occurs within one ecosystem and don’t disagree. But it’s also not as black and white as you’re making it out to be. I lean heavy in the Apple direction but doing so doesn’t limit me from having a ‘toe in each pool’, so to speak, and create an optimal user experience (for me), something I often see professed as the reason people stay away from Apple’s ecosystem.

All that being said, the greatest limitation of living in the Apple ecosystem is hardware choice, a not insignificant limitation, so I certainly understand why many stay away from their services.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For mobile, I'd stick with Apple. I've moved away from the the Mac platform, but I do think I'm still getting value out of the iOS platform. If Apple continues with increasing their prices so much, I'll probably move off of that in the next few years but overall I'm happy with the apple ecosystem.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I would go with Google. I'm currently using an iPhone (have been primarily for about 3 years), but I'm not invested in anything else Apple. I wish I actually never stuck with it for as long as I have. iMessage is the only thing holding me back at this point - don't like that my group messages will be held hostage still! I don't use any other Apple services and would prefer to keep it that way, as well.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Right but you can default to literally any other service on Android. So unless you feel obligated to settle for second or third rate apps from Apple you can literally default to any service on Android.
What does setting a default app have to do with choice?
If I choose solely Android, I cannot access movies from iTunes, iMessage, use Apple apps, etc.
If I choose solely iOS, I can still use all Google services, and at the same time have access to Apple's ecosystem if I want to.

Simple as that. Your argument has nothing to do with the concept of choice I am talking about, and only provide strawman argument.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If I choose solely Android, I cannot access movies from iTunes, iMessage, use Apple apps, etc.
If I choose solely iOS, I can still use all Google services, and at the same time have access to Apple's ecosystem if I want to.

Simple as that. Your argument has nothing to do with the concept of choice I am talking about, and only provide strawman argument.
So Apple's closed ecosystem is what's keeping you on iOS.

Just say that.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I'm not sure you get what they mean by default app. If you choose to use Google maps on your iphone.....delete Apple Maps then.
Now go to Siri and ask for directions....
You don't have the choice to set a Maps alternative IOS will default to the Apple applications. Some features will not work at all if the Apple apps are deleted or removed.

On any IOS device...can you arrange your icons in any order or place you want them to be?
It's all about choice....IOS limits your choice and customization.

Personally I like Android and IOS....I have both platforms and enjoy this setup immensely.
But I know IOS limits my choices and boxes me into what Apple thinks things should be.

This is because that is the way Apple wants it to be. Apple restricts iMessage to only IOS devices
Apple restricts how iTunes works on non IOS devices.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iOS/iPhone with Google services. Google has seemingly integrated all the Google apps for iOS with each other. Plus, iOS apps in general are just way more polished. Android apps always feel like an after thought for developers.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I disagree that you can utilize all Google apps / get a similar Google app experience on the iPhone. Currently using a Pixel 3 XL and iPhone XS. I'll use CarPlay and Android Auto as a very recent example of my daily use. You can't just be driving and ask Siri to call a random place not in your contacts. If you do it will bring up Apple Maps and ask me if this is the place and start to navigate me there. No, I just want to make a simple phone call. You need to manually open Google Assistant and then it'll work. And even then, it needs to be open and active. And brings up a prompt to either place the call or cancel. Meanwhile I'll cause a 10 car pile up from driving while looking at my phone...

On Android Auto, Google Assistant is perfect. I was running late to a physical therapy appointment and just said "Hey Google, call (my PT) clinic" and it made the call. Needed to get some wood from Home Depot, Google Assistant just placed the call upon me asking it to call a specific location. Wanted to order take out, boom, call placed to restaurant I was thinking of.

If there's a way to enable Siri to do this, I am all ears. Siri can do this when using my phone normally, but when using CarPlay it hasn't worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinIllini

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
iOS/iPhone with Google services. Google has seemingly integrated all the Google apps for iOS with each other. Plus, iOS apps in general are just way more polished. Android apps always feel like an after thought for developers.
One of the biggest reasons to stay with Apple. Developers largely prioritize iOS apps. You just don’t find refined apps like Bear, Things, Unread, Airmail, etc. in the Play Store. Also, iOS widget quality is better as well.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
One of the biggest reasons to stay with Apple. Developers largely prioritize iOS apps. You just don’t find refined apps like Bear, Things, Unread, Airmail, etc. in the Play Store. Also, iOS widget quality is better as well.
Widgets are far more versatile on android.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.