Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
When it comes to office chairs, prices vary from dirt cheap to extremely expensive and generally speaking, the quality matches the price. For IKEA, usually they offer great quality for affordable prices (in Europe anyway, it's very subjective).

I found that to be true for my LÅNGFJÄLL chair (basically the cheaper non-adjustable version of your chair). It's comfortable, quality of the fabric and cushioning is great.

They're quite new though, so nobody really knows how they do on the long term.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
When it comes to office chairs, prices vary from dirt cheap to extremely expensive and generally speaking, the quality matches the price. For IKEA, usually they offer great quality for affordable prices (in Europe anyway, it's very subjective).

I found that to be true for my LÅNGFJÄLL chair (basically the cheaper non-adjustable version of your chair). It's comfortable, quality of the fabric and cushioning is great.

They're quite new though, so nobody really knows how they do on the long term.

Hope that helps!
I assume the quality of the IKEA products would be same for ASIA PACIFIC as well, compared to EUROPE.
And because the HATTEFJÄLL is new, I can't find any detailed reviews. Do you know what warranty IKEA provides for office chairs?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I assume the quality of the IKEA products would be same for ASIA PACIFIC as well, compared to EUROPE.
And because the HATTEFJÄLL is new, I can't find any detailed reviews. Do you know what warranty IKEA provides for office chairs?

Go to the bottom of the page and select warranty. The warranty might be different in your country, I'm not sure. They have a specific PDF for office chairs, including our models.

Edit Not sure where to find it on the Indian website, it's different from mine.

I just found out I've got 10 years of warranty which is insane! (excluding fabric) :eek:

And yes, quality should be the same. I meant that the market for office chairs in general will be different, so average prices and quality may be different as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Go to the bottom of the page and select warranty. The warranty might be different in your country, I'm not sure. They have a specific PDF for office chairs, including our models.

Edit Not sure where to find it on the Indian website, it's different from mine.

I just found out I've got 10 years of warranty which is insane! (excluding fabric) :eek:

And yes, quality should be the same. I meant that the market for office chairs in general will be different, so average prices and quality may be different as well.
Oh, crap, I should have looked. I got it.

The first sentence under product description says '10 year guarantee.', in Indian website. Usually any big international company, when they open their own store in India, the price is usually less compared to US price (LG, Logitech, Samsung etc.). IKEA also seems the same. I was looking for table legs, and found that this LERBERG which sells for 15USD, costs 470INR i.e. 6.5USD; less than half the price.

Anyways, do you happen to know about quality of Linnmon paper fill table top? It's lightweight and cheap but I am curious about how that thing holds up (sag or anything) over years of use.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I wouldn’t count on cheap (white) table tops to last without gaining some scratches and such. Sagging can happen as well, the smaller the better.

My Skarsta even has scratches, if you want quality you have to go for the professional IKEA table tops.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Anyways, do you happen to know about quality of Linnmon paper fill table top? It's lightweight and cheap but I am curious about how that thing holds up (sag or anything) over years of use.

It's pretty solid, I'm using the Linnmon Blue-Black, 59" x 29.5" with a Vivo manual height adjust workstation frame and it's superb.

The Vivo (that I highly recommend, build quality and customer service) doesn't ship with a table top and Vivo doesn't offer one, so it's about sourcing your own. I wanted something to try that wasn't expensive in case this whole desk was a bust, and also something that was an interesting design, so I searched around some DIY sites and saw a few folks using Ikea desktops. I also found (per Amazon) that a lot of the cheaper desk tops (still talking $80-90) were damaged in shipping (not Ikea, I'd assume they package shipments better) so I took advantage of our local Ikea and just picked one up in person - also have me an opportunity to look at all of them, confirm my choice.

So the Blue-Black has a very flat (blue-ish-gray) top - the outer edge is a light birch color, very cool - anyway, that could/can/will get scratched unless you use a little caution, like items that have rubber feet, or are just soft, no sharp edges. Some of the other finishes are more glossy, I'd figure they're probably a little more durable. I can't imagine this sagging, but my frame has this huge cross bar that goes under it longways, so it's not going anywhere :) The middle area is less dense, the outer 6-8" (where the pilot holes are for Ikea legs) are very solid.

The best part is it's almost a "disposable" cost at $39, and I just looked at the Black-Brown is only $29. When this gets beat up, I may just get another Ikea top (though I found a nice, real wood top, with a thick poly-u type finish, way heavier, 5X the cost, guess I'll see when the time comes ...)

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I wouldn’t count on cheap (white) table tops to last without gaining some scratches and such. Sagging can happen as well, the smaller the better.

My Skarsta even has scratches, if you want quality you have to go for the professional IKEA table tops.
Which are those? The only real wood option is Gerton that I found.

I would prefer a white table top any time because I'm used to it. Honestly I don't care about scratches. And I don't prefer to tend to material things. Ikea says on their website that the table needs to be oiled in alternate seasons.
[doublepost=1533308487][/doublepost]
It's pretty solid, I'm using the Linnmon Blue-Black, 59" x 29.5" with a Vivo manual height adjust workstation frame and it's superb.

The Vivo (that I highly recommend, build quality and customer service) doesn't ship with a table top and Vivo doesn't offer one, so it's about sourcing your own. I wanted something to try that wasn't expensive in case this whole desk was a bust, and also something that was an interesting design, so I searched around some DIY sites and saw a few folks using Ikea desktops. I also found (per Amazon) that a lot of the cheaper desk tops (still talking $80-90) were damaged in shipping (not Ikea, I'd assume they package shipments better) so I took advantage of our local Ikea and just picked one up in person - also have me an opportunity to look at all of them, confirm my choice.

So the Blue-Black has a very flat (blue-ish-gray) top - the outer edge is a light birch color, very cool - anyway, that could/can/will get scratched unless you use a little caution, like items that have rubber feet, or are just soft, no sharp edges. Some of the other finishes are more glossy, I'd figure they're probably a little more durable. I can't imagine this sagging, but my frame has this huge cross bar that goes under it longways, so it's not going anywhere :) The middle area is less dense, the outer 6-8" (where the pilot holes are for Ikea legs) are very solid.

The best part is it's almost a "disposable" cost at $39, and I just looked at the Black-Brown is only $29. When this gets beat up, I may just get another Ikea top (though I found a nice, real wood top, with a thick poly-u type finish, way heavier, 5X the cost, guess I'll see when the time comes ...)
I read some reviews that table legs like these don't provide good enough balance and is usually more wobbly.
Also, what is the difference between the same leg from IKEA ?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Which are those? The only real wood option is Gerton that I found.

I would prefer a white table top any time because I'm used to it. Honestly I don't care about scratches. And I don't prefer to tend to material things. Ikea says on their website that the table needs to be oiled in alternate seasons.

No I meant BEKANT desk tops. Those are of really good quality.

We have a certain type of LINNMON at home (a thick one), but maybe the others are better.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I read some reviews that table legs like these don't provide good enough balance and is usually more wobbly.
Also, what is the difference between the same leg from IKEA ?

Ikea didn't have a manual model, and there's a ton of issue reported in the review section with motors going bad. It's _so_ easy to manually crank and removes a whole, expensive, failure point.

This frame is very stable, it's not like separate legs, it's a ~50-lb stand alone box frame, the "feet" are out on the ends, and are almost as deep as this ~30" deep desktop.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I've gone from Jerker to Galant to Kullaberg, which I'm typing on right now. Never any problems with their desks.

Kullaberg is also filled with cardboard/paper, but the veneer is thick enough that it's held up great without any issue. Legs are steel.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
We own a bunch of IKEA furniture and my kids both have desk chairs that they are very happy with. The prices were good, the quality was good and the chairs are comfortable. Everyone's happy with them. You'll be getting the same products as Europe and the US, I would guess. I'm betting you'll be happy with it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Think IKEA stuff is fairly good quality that can last quite some time.

I’ve had a lot of stuff from there, that have moved through, stayed and being sold off, given away etc.
I’ve had IVAR shelf system for a loooong time. It have changed when I’ve moved around.
Seldom break, once in a while it happens. But they’re solid, and built to last and being rebuilt. To be part of our change and growth as we live, move from places to another, in life.

What can be disturbing with IKEA is to put together some stuff you buy there.
Mostly it’s easy, but sometimes it’s a sweaty job and annoying brochures and parts that doesn’t fit as you want it, directly. But after moving things around in the IKEA puzzle a bit, it usually works out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The thing I worry about with inexpensive chairs, is the cushioning, how well will it hold up from day to day usage and if you have kids abuse.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
The thing I worry about with inexpensive chairs, is the cushioning, how well will it hold up from day to day usage and if you have kids abuse.
Money comes down as the final challenge everywhere. The chairs I like (design), almost all of them are priced over 60K Indian Rupees. While I am not sure about the longevity of cheap chairs, I certainly don't like the overall design language.
I was eyeing for the IKEA chair costing 250$ though I had a doubt about that in mind. I thought the chair looked different from most office chair as in it has a 'soft' touch to the design of the product.

And I saw the promo video of IKEA just yesterday and the designer herself said that this is to make it more feminine. So there goes my option. :p

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

I've had 2 ikea office chairs.....not surprisingly, their inexpensive chairs don't hold up as well as more expensive chairs. On both, the seat cushions didn't hold up, and neither did the fabric on the arm rests.

They were inexpensive and I used each of them for several years, so I don't complain that I didn't get my money's worth

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
please think of it as gender neutral and good value at a medium price.
Yeah. I'm desperately hope I can think it that way, when I see in in the flesh.

0565383_PE664351_S5.JPG

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've had 2 ikea office chairs.....not surprisingly, their inexpensive chairs don't hold up as well as more expensive chairs. On both, the seat cushions didn't hold up, and neither did the fabric on the arm rests.

Macky-Mac is right. There is no such thing as a cushion that doesn't go flat. On cheap chairs, they tend to go flatter faster.

I've owned over a half dozen high end office chairs. I've needed to get different chairs to address different work requirements and injuries. There isn't a single perfect chair, even amongst the $1000 (US) and over price range.

Chairs change with time and wear and you change too. The best chair to own longterm is one that you can modify by adding stuff to it and that usually means a chair with some adjustability and less padding. You can always add padding to a hard chair, but you can't add structure to a soft chair.

A gel seat cushion will go a long way to make a too hard seat pan feel good. You can get add on seat backs or arm rest cushions. When those go flat, you just buy replacements instead of a whole new chair.

The best way to shop for a chair is to buy one you know well. If you don't have any idea what you're looking for, start trying some out. When you go shopping, bring a book or a laptop and sit there without moving for as long as they'll let you. I recommend an hour, but I know that gets a bit awkward so at least try give everything a quick trial and then give your finalists 20 minute trials to get a really good idea what feels good to you.

If you want a high end name brand chair, look for an business furniture supplier or office furniture liquidator before you shop retail stores. Businesses are constantly coming and going and when they go, they leave behind a large inventory of lightly used and brand new office chairs. You can get really nice chairs at a 50% discount if you get lucky. One of my first high end chairs was a Herman Miller Aeron that I got fully loaded for about 50% of the normal price.

Corporate suppliers are also sometimes willing to sell you a chair at contract price if you talk to them.

Last edited:

Hurrypotter66

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2018
I have some IKEA furniture, sofa, bed, bookshelf, dinning table and others. All of them are in good quality and I have used them for about two years.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
[...] What can be disturbing with IKEA is to put together some stuff you buy there. Mostly it’s easy, but sometimes it’s a sweaty job and annoying brochures and parts that doesn’t fit as you want it, directly. But after moving things around in the IKEA puzzle a bit, it usually works out.

I just heard on the news that IKEA India sells their products completely assembled because Indian people are supposedly not used to putting furniture together themselves. Such a weird statement lol, I've seen plenty of people struggle with it over here (not me of course, I'm a level 7 IKEA builder).

Reactions: orbital~debris

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I just heard on the news that IKEA India sells their products completely assembled because Indian people are supposedly not used to putting furniture together themselves. Such a weird statement lol, I've seen plenty of people struggle with it over here (not me of course, I'm a level 7 IKEA builder).
Too sad for the Indian population then, they miss an opportunity for education in problem solving ;)
I've had good benefits of it. Sometimes I look forward to it to see how my focus and patience are affected if it doesn't work out immidiately :p
And yet IKEA will sell their products in India far below unassembled price elsewhere.
Maybe they're doing charity work in India?

Reactions: orbital~debris

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
LOL. I find it very funny how information is processed in the brains of people of are ill informed and generalise about everything in the world, in this case India.

For the record, IKEA is offering assembly and selling food on spot to attract customers. Customers still have to buy boxed products for home assembly. Can't say about the mass whether they like to or are used to assembling furnitures or not, but nobody else I know would like to oil and sand a damn piece of wood for weeks. Indian people got bigger problems to solve; more important things to tend to.

LOL. Eduction and problem solving!! You must be joking! Developing country; people are making their own **** everywhere cheap, it's in the culture, solving problems, making do with what is available. A first world problem is that their people don't understand.. Life and luxury is not easy and readily available everywhere(I can speak for India), like developed countries.

And again like everyone says, things are cheaper mostly. "Usually any big international company, when they open their own store in India, the price is usually less compared to US price (LG, Logitech, Samsung etc.). IKEA also seems the same." I don't know if IKEA is upto charity but I guess they are not. Because, one word; Business.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I've been using this chair for years. Good as new. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90289172/#/00103102
Markus and HATTEFJÄLL - these two are in my wishlist if I end up buying from IKEA.I'm a 5.4" short guy. I'm not sure if the Markus would be big for me until I see it in store.

I've somewhat finalised Gerton table top with Lerberg legs. (I was looking for a solid white glossy table top at around that dimension 60"x30" but there is none that I could find from IKEA)

I'm supposed to visit a local Herman Miller dealer for they have a demo unit of Aeron and some other chairs which would be about 500$. Super confused as to what to go for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.